VectorLinux
April 16, 2014, 08:03:10 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: VL's 5.8 cdrecord horribly broken  (Read 1741 times)
Tigerwolf
Vectorite

« on: October 20, 2007, 05:24:23 pm »

I've been having a problem getting xcdroast (and cdrecord by itself) to write a CD.  It works for root, but fails when run by non-root user, despite the users being in the 'cdrom' group and program permissions looking ok.

In digging around, I found this:
http://cdrecord.berlios.de/old/private/linux-dist.html
which says many distributions are supplying very broken cdrecord and other programs in the cdrtools set based on an old and buggy fork of the code.

The cdrecord version in VL-5.8 gives

Code:
$ cdrecord -version
Cdrecord-Clone 2.01 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2004 Jörg Schilling
cdrecord: Warning: Running on Linux-2.6.18.5_Tigerden-K6
cdrecord: There are unsettled issues with Linux-2.5 and newer.
cdrecord: If you have unexpected problems, please try Linux-2.4 or Solaris.

This appears to be one of the 'broken fork' versions.  It is clearly very old (2004), and acknowledges issues with modern Linux kernels. 

Additionally, the problems I was trying to deal with:

- Xcdroast's device scan not finding any drives for non-root
 - Messages like: cdrecord: Cannot allocate memory. Cannot get SCSI I/O buffer.

are the issue with scsi command pass-through when running non-root and it is one of the symptoms of the 'broken fork' versions.   It looks like Slack 10 and 11 share this broken package, while 12 seems to have a newer (but not current) version of the 'real' one.

The most recent versions of cdrecord and related tools supposedly fix these problems as well as have support for making DVDs and are even adding blu-ray support. 

I did a trial compile of the latest cdrtools sources from the author's URL above, and manually installed some of the resulting binaries which so far seem to be working fine.  mkisofs needs some additional things done to compile and I wasn't able to complete that part.

Clearly, the VL cdrtools packages need updating.   Are there any plans for this?

=^_^=  Tigerwolf

Running: Vector Linux 5.8 Standard   12-16-2006
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: