VectorLinux
October 19, 2014, 08:04:04 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Trying to install old distro of VectorLinux, "Boot Failed"  (Read 1200 times)
preet

« on: October 21, 2007, 07:38:51 pm »

Hey... I have a really old PC (486, 16mb ram) that I'm trying to install VL 2.5 on. I have all the necessary files on a top level folder called veclinux and created the boot disks. When I try to boot however, I get a one line error "Boot failed" and I can't do anything from there. Any help would be appreciated...

Thanks
preet
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2007, 08:45:41 pm »

are you using diskette to boot?
it could be due to fault floppy.....maybe you can check it....
preet

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2007, 01:26:32 pm »

Yeah, I am using a floppy disk to boot... I tried another disk with no luck. I installed a mini-distro (BasicLinux) using floppies with no problem. However, I do have ethernet access, so if I can boot using that, I can at least verify that the floppy is the issue...

Since I have BasicLinux setup on my hdd already, can I just use that to launch the setup without a floppy boot up? (I have already downloaded all of the necessary files)

Thanks!
Preet
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2007, 05:00:30 pm »

Yeah, I am using a floppy disk to boot... I tried another disk with no luck. I installed a mini-distro (BasicLinux) using floppies with no problem. However, I do have ethernet access, so if I can boot using that, I can at least verify that the floppy is the issue...

Since I have BasicLinux setup on my hdd already, can I just use that to launch the setup without a floppy boot up? (I have already downloaded all of the necessary files)

Thanks!
Preet

if you got another Linux distro running in your system, maybe you can try this....

http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/docs/vl58/manuals/vl5_installation_guide_en.html#iso_linux
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: