VectorLinux
October 22, 2014, 10:31:52 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11
  Print  
Author Topic: VL-5.9-STD-BETA2 Bugs/annoyances  (Read 50690 times)
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #120 on: November 04, 2007, 05:08:11 pm »

OK megamario and frozen-bubble -fullscreen can be launched from the console command line outside X.

Both application when launched within X crash and kill X.

Frozen-bubble (w/o -fullscreen flag) can be launched within X.

I have only an onboard video card.
Identifier  "Card0"
Driver      "savage"
VendorName  "S3 Inc."
BoardName   "VT8375 [ProSavage8 KM266/KL266]"
BusID       "PCI:1:0:0

Both application work well in VL5.8-STD

Regards
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #121 on: November 04, 2007, 05:15:53 pm »

Pita,
can you put your xorg.conf from 5.8 and from 5.9 into pastebin.ca and post the link here?
I am thinking the composite section in 5.9 might be a problem with your video chipset.

Thanks,
Uelsk8s
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #122 on: November 04, 2007, 07:27:12 pm »

Pita,
can you put your xorg.conf from 5.8 and from 5.9 into pastebin.ca and post the link here?
I am thinking the composite section in 5.9 might be a problem with your video chipset.

Thanks,
Uelsk8s

Here it is. I am amazed what all can be done.

http://pastebin.ca/761881

Both xorg.conf were created by vasm. BTW on the first beta of VL59 it created a vesa xorg.conf which did not work at all.

Regards
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #123 on: November 04, 2007, 07:36:26 pm »

Pita,
Lets start by commenting out the composite section.
change this
Code:
Section "Extensions"
Option "Composite" "on"
EndSection
to this
Code:
#Section "Extensions"
#Option "Composite" "on"
#EndSection

Then restart X and run the games that locked you up before
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #124 on: November 04, 2007, 09:12:13 pm »

Changed as recommended xorg.conf. Did not change the crashes.
Here is some output I get an the console from frozen-bubble -fullscreen crash in fluxbox:

Backtrace:
0: X(xf86SigHandler+0x80) [0x80ceff0]
1: [0xb7fdc420]
2: /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers//savage_drv.so(SavageSwitchMode+0x9f) [0xb7bf663f]
3: X [0x80f2f21]
4: X [0x80db993]
5: X(xf86SwitchMode+0xd8) [0x80b8758]
6: X(VidModeSwitchMode+0x6b) [0x80d970b]
7: /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions//libextmod.so [0xb7c3a29c]
8: X [0x8146d2e]
9: X(Dispatch+0x2cb) [0x808682b]
10: X(main+0x496) [0x806dce6]
11: /lib/libc.so.6(__libc_start_main+0xd8) [0xb7d39df8]
12: X(FontFileCompleteXLFD+0x209) [0x806d011]

Fatal server error:
Caught signal 11.  Server aborting

XIO:  fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server ":0.0"
      after 10254 requests (10254 known processed) with 0 events remaining.
xterm:  fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) or KillClient on X server ":0.0"
xinit:  connection to X server lost.
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #125 on: November 04, 2007, 10:23:03 pm »

Pita: try again editing /etc/X11/xorg.conf and change line 93 (Driver "savage") to Driver "vesa" and reboot X and see if the same thing happens.

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #126 on: November 04, 2007, 11:00:02 pm »

Pita,
can you try downloading and upgrading this package then try to run the games again with the savage driver in xorg.conf
 http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/Uelsk8s/xf86-video-savage-2.1.4-i586-1vl59.tlz

Thanks,
Uelsk8s
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #127 on: November 04, 2007, 11:40:27 pm »

acham!!

first I upgraded that video-savage as suggested by Uelsk. Starting X I got  weird colors and system hang.

Reboot

next I then changed the savage to vesa in xorg.conf as suggested by lagagnon, started X and yes, finally the 2 programs in question launched in full screen and went back to X after closing.

Thanks, what a relieve.

Now I have only the one complain left that the boot messages are 3 lines below the teminal frame. All other programs I am using work properly, the browsers, sound, CD, printer, Internet, flash, realplayer music streaming, mail programs, applix office suite. I guess that's it.

Huh   Huh
Rejoiced too early. Now I can't leave X anymore. The system freezes as I have reported in earlier posts on this sub-forum when xorg.conf-vesa was up and I tried to get out of X.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2007, 12:59:49 am by Pita » Logged
Witek Mozga
Vectorite

« Reply #128 on: November 05, 2007, 01:28:51 am »

Several days ago I shared my observations about Beta2.2 I thought my observations would be useful for developers (that is why they started this Bugs/annoyances thread, I guess). Strangely, it seems that they were ignored as I downloaded beta2.8 and noticed that many problems I reported still exist. Here are they with my additional comments:

1. clicking on Volume Control icon shows empty window

not fixed, however when I first ran alsamixer from console and then started the applet it worked. Anyway I have no sound on my ASUS A9RP laptop http://www.linlap.com/wiki/Asus+A9Rp.

2. I cannot make my screen brighter or dimmer using laptop`s function keys (possible before booting Vector and on Ubuntu and PC-BSD)

not fixed

3. Xine and Mplayer shows vertical bars instead of movie (sound is OK), both AVI and MOV files.

this seems to be the issue of the video driver. Both ati and raden shows vertical bars, VESA works properly (however slow). Proprietay fglrx not tested.
(I wrote "sound is OK" before but It was not, my mistake, sorry.)

4. There is no default aplication connected to PDF files when clicking on them

not fixed

5. hardinfo gui crashes when clicking on sensors.

not fixed

6. hardinfo and lsub shows no devices though I have USB wifi and mouse

lsusb works OK.

7. Wifi radar cannot be launched.

Not fixed

8. I cannot make my ASUS A9RP laptop`s USB wifi card to work (it works well under latest ubuntu 7.10 and Sabayon with zd1211[rw] module). It was the same problem with the latest Vector SOHO but I thought it was due to older kernel version. Since 2.6.22 zd1211 should work properly (and it does as I mentioned above).

Don`t know if it is fixed: no time to feedle config files (especialy that it seems that nobody treats my comments  seriously  Undecided) I wish there was some easier way to make wifi running on Vector. As I said before Ubuntu and Sabayon recognize my interface with no problems.

toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #129 on: November 05, 2007, 01:40:59 am »

This is intermittent, and looks as though its related to the kernel being used by the beta. On some boots, I get messages like this:

Code:
thinkpad_acpi: ThinkPad ACPI Extras v0.14
thinkpad_acpi: http://ibm-acpi.sf.net/
thinkpad_acpi: ThinkPad EC firmware 1RHT71WW-3.04
hub 1-0:1.0: over-current change on port 3
hub 1-0:1.0: over-current change on port 4
hub 3-0:1.0: over-current change on port 2
hub 3-0:1.0: over-current change on port 1
hub 1-0:1.0: over-current change on port 3
hub 3-0:1.0: over-current change on port 2
hub 3-0:1.0: over-current change on port 1

I've also got Zenwalk 4.8 on this machine, which also uses a 2.6.22.9 kernel, and also has the thinkpad_acpi module loaded, but its never produced the message above.

Anyone have any ideas what might trigger this?

paul
vector
Administrator
Vectorite

« Reply #130 on: November 05, 2007, 02:18:24 am »

note to wm.............my apologies but we only have three part time developers working on the bug reports and unfortunately none  has your hw config on  a laptop. It would be more useful if you found out how the distros with more resources enabled your wifi then perhaps we can do something useful. If you like vector for it's premise then you need to help with things we don't have the resources for. If it works somewhere else then it should work here too we all have access..........contributing is an important part to the process we need your help too................I don't mean to be critical but we could sure use some help searching for answers on hw questions...............Smiley
vec
Witek Mozga
Vectorite

« Reply #131 on: November 05, 2007, 02:53:53 am »

note to wm.............my apologies but we only have three part time developers working on the bug reports and unfortunately none  has your hw config on  a laptop.

I understand that fixing the hardware issue is hard without the hw. Some other problems I mentioned are probably not hardware dependent, however. Can you for example launch wifi radar?

Anyway I must confess that I like Vector very much and this is the distro I`ve been using for some time. That is why I tried to help in its development by posting some comments on Beta. I`ll try to look into the wifi issue and if I succeed I will post results on the forum.

Witek Mozga
Vectorite

« Reply #132 on: November 05, 2007, 04:35:06 am »

I tried to make wifi working according to http://www.vectorlinux.com/forum2/index.php?topic=1282.0
but I was not able to add any wireless interface by modifying /etc/modprobe.conf and /etc/ifplug.d/ifplugd.conf according to the above instruction.

Syslog says:

Nov  5 13:01:47 men4 kernel: Device driver 1-6 lacks bus and class support for being resumed.
Nov  5 13:01:47 men4 kernel: usb 1-6: Could not load firmware file zd1211/zd1211b_ub. Error number -2
Nov  5 13:01:47 men4 kernel: zd1211rw 1-6:1.0: couldn't load firmware. Error number -2

but firmware IS located in /lib/firmware/zd1211

No idea what to do....

uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #133 on: November 05, 2007, 07:33:50 am »

Several days ago I shared my observations about Beta2.2 I thought my observations would be useful for developers (that is why they started this Bugs/annoyances thread, I guess). Strangely, it seems that they were ignored as I downloaded beta2.8 and noticed that many problems I reported still exist. Here are they with my additional comments:

Your observations along with everyone else's are never ignored here. I think this perception can be partly to blame from us not having a formal bug report system where you would get an answer to each of your separate bug reports. I will give you answers to each of the bugs you have as i see them.

This happens whenever your sound modules are not loaded or for whatever reason xfce doesnt have access to your soundcard.
we are working on alsa problems, and you may have to try the optional kernel to see if it works better with your hardware.

2. I cannot make my screen brighter or dimmer using laptop`s function keys (possible before booting Vector and on Ubuntu and PC-BSD)
Not sure about this. again try the alternate kernel and report if it helps at all.

3. Xine and Mplayer shows vertical bars instead of movie (sound is OK), both AVI and MOV files.

I think you will need the proprietary fglrx driver for decent video, however you can play with the composite and other options in xorg.conf and see if you get decent results with the ati or radeon drivers.

4. There is no default aplication connected to PDF files when clicking on them
We will get xpdf connected to the pdf files.

5. hardinfo gui crashes when clicking on sensors.
This is a problem with hardinfo and has been reported on there bug reports.
we are waiting for a fix from them.

6. hardinfo and lsub shows no devices though I have USB wifi and mouse
This is a problem with hardinfo and has been reported on there bug reports.
we are waiting for a fix from them.

7. Wifi radar cannot be launched.
wifi-radar launches if your wireless driver is working. I am not sure why this happens in this version as it did not in previous versions.

8. I cannot make my ASUS A9RP laptop`s USB wifi card to work (it works well under latest ubuntu 7.10 and Sabayon with zd1211[rw] module). It was the same problem with the latest Vector SOHO but I thought it was due to older kernel version. Since 2.6.22 zd1211 should work properly (and it does as I mentioned above).
It sounds like either we dont have the proper firmware for your card, or udev is not loading the drivers properly.
can you check that /etc/rc.d/rc.udev is set executable?
if its not it may fix some of your problems above as well.
if it is then I would try using the firmware from one of the distro's that you know works.

Thanks for your report it is what helps us make VL better.
Uelsk8s
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #134 on: November 05, 2007, 08:27:12 am »

This happens whenever your sound modules are not loaded or for whatever reason xfce doesnt have access to your soundcard.
we are working on alsa problems, and you may have to try the optional kernel to see if it works better with your hardware.
If the sound modules are loaded, try right-clicking on the speaker icon, then Properties and selecting the proper device if not correct. It works for me after install, but I remember this being a problem during 5.8 development.

Not sure about this. again try the alternate kernel and report if it helps at all.
This is dependent on the make/model of notebook, some use hardware connected backlight keys that work regardless, others use software for this function. You might need to load some notebook brand-specific support modules, the lcd module and maybe even some button handler application. This is one of the more complicated areas in Linux. A couple of sites that might help you with this are:

http://www.linux-laptop.net/
http://tuxmobil.org/

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11
  Print  

Jump to: