VectorLinux
August 20, 2014, 04:17:17 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11
  Print  
Author Topic: VL-5.9-STD-BETA2 Bugs/annoyances  (Read 49157 times)
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #60 on: October 28, 2007, 05:45:28 am »

Just Beta 2 I'm afraid.  Not that I'm worried - it's enough of a mission to install Vector on this box, I'm not going to let a little thing like vl-hot not working stop me.

Reason I asked was because beta 2.3 has fixed the Vl-hot problems I was having, though it hasn't completely solved the HAL problems.

That said, I'm also pleased to report that the diversions - all the nice little games and such - work wonderfully.  Even better, I can consistently play Chromium and get sound (on my SOHO5.8 box sound rarely, if ever, works in Chromium) and I can actually play PPRacer.  Interestingly, I know for a fact that the hardware in this machine is not as good as the hardware in my SOHO machine, so I guess that means the dev crew get another tip of my metaphorical hat.

Grin I'm not used to having games available - been running Zenwalk for the last 18 months or so.

I have hit another small problem with the beta - decided to try Fluxbox in place of Xfce. That worked, but when I logged out of Fluxbox, I couldn't use the "system" button on the login menu. Ended up having to reboot to get back to Xfce. 

Still, the beta has been pretty stable, and most things work quite well. So far, I'm impressed...

paul.
MikeCindi
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #61 on: October 28, 2007, 08:55:59 am »

I messed up the udev rules pretty bad in Beta2.
Anyone that is having problem with hardware please give this ISO a try:
http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/Uelsk8s/old-pkgs/VL5.9-STD-B2.3.iso
it should fix cdrom, wireless and other HW issues.

Thanks,
Uelsk8s

Could you post the md5sum for this? I get a decompression error and wonder if it's the iso or my laptop (optical drive died yesterday)! Angry

The plans of the diligent lead to profit...Pro. 21:5
VL64 7.1b3                                     RLU 486143
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #62 on: October 28, 2007, 09:06:06 am »

40d6675dc8f5092c8d3e31b171bd07a0  VL5.9-STD-B2.3.iso
MikeCindi
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #63 on: October 28, 2007, 09:16:44 am »

Thank you, my image has the right md5...I sure hope my laptop isn't on it's last leg! I'll try another download (not that it makes sense to do so) and see if that gives a different result (definition of crazy right?).

later at the ranch...
Following directions would be nice wouldn't it. My partition with the iso was ro vs rw.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2007, 11:55:51 am by mikecindi » Logged

The plans of the diligent lead to profit...Pro. 21:5
VL64 7.1b3                                     RLU 486143
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #64 on: October 28, 2007, 10:58:08 am »

I just tried to start another installation, not intending to go through it, but wanting to have a look at the steps invovled. This was with beta 2.3

In this instance, instead of using 'linux vga=791" I used "linux2 vga=791" ( Embarrassed hadn't noticed earlier that linux2 is supposed to be the default). Using this option, I hit a problem very early in the installation. I went through the normal procedure of selecting a keyboard layout, then went to test the it. Instead of being the UK layout I had selected, it was still at the default US layout. Not a good start...

I didn't have this problem when using "linux" instead of "linux2", so something in the new initrd doesn't seem to be working correctly.

paul.
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #65 on: October 28, 2007, 02:42:18 pm »

Comments on beta 2.3:

Bluefish icon issue and udev issue fixed.  VL-Hot works great with no extraneous icons.

The install problem (X) on the Toshiba Satellite  laptop remains as does the grub menu problem.

Reboot on my laptop also doesn't work -- only Ubuntu gets this right so far.  Toshiba and toshiba_acpi kernel modules also not loaded on boot.  I can change this, of course, but it would be nice if the installer detected the hardware like other distros and enabled the modules automagically.

I'll be doing more testing and reporting...

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #66 on: October 28, 2007, 11:21:39 pm »

VL59-STD-BETA-2.3

Good News

CD now working.

Printer printing after copying VL5.8 printers.conf over.

Frozen-Bubble does not crash anymore in xfce4.

Bad News

Unable to connect to the Internet.

Fluxbox does not open.

System hangs again with blank screen as in BETA1 on logout, Ctrl-Alt-Backspace, Alt-F*.

Regards

Dweeberkitty
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #67 on: October 29, 2007, 10:02:49 am »

I finally got around to downloading VL 5.9 Beta2.3. All I can say is wow! I should have stuck with Beta1. What a mess.

NVIDIA Drivers:
•   When I installed, the driver chooser thing came up and I chose NVIDIA-latest (later I also tried the 9xxx one). It compiled fine and everything. Good.
•   After the install, I loaded up the system but X failed. It couldn't find the nvidia module. Bad.
•   I tried VASM to fix it but that didn't work (I'll tell a little bit more about that later) to finally get to X I had to use the vesa driver. This doesn't look so nice because the resolution is all wrong and I can't have any 3D acceleration.
•   I tried to reinstall the nvidia drivers by running
Code:
./usr/src/vl-pkgs/NVIDIA-100.14.23/nvidia-installer
This however didn't work and it failed saying it it couldn't find the kernel source. So I ran the nvidia installer again only this time passing:
Code:
--kernel-source-path=/usr/src/linux-2.6.22.9/
It seemed to compile fine but again the nvidia driver failed with this error:
ERROR: Unable to load the kernel module 'nvidia.ko'. This happens most frequently when this kernel module was built against the wrong or improperly configured kernel sources, with a version of gcc that differes from the one used to build the target kernel, or if a driver such as rivafb/nvidiafb is present and prevents the NVIDIA kernel module from obtaining ownership of the NVIDIA device(s).

Sound:
•   My sound card was correctly detected on install.
•   When I try to "play" a file I get this error:
ALSA lib confmisc.c:769:(parse_card) cannot find card
ALSA lib conf.c:3510:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_card_driver returned error: No such device
ALSA lib confmisc.c:392:(snd_func_concat) error evaluating strings
ALSA lib conf.c:3510:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_concat returned error: No such device
ALSA lib confmisc.c:1251:(snd_func_refer) error evaluating name
ALSA lib conf.c:3510:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_refer returned error: No such device
ALSA lib conf.c:3982:(snd_config_expand) Evaluate error: No such device
ALSA lib pcm.c:2144:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM default
sox: Failed writing default: cannot open audio device
•   Even though my card was correctly detected in the installer, when I run alsaconf later, it politely informs me that "No PCI or PNP cards found." Bummer, no sound.

Vasm XWMSET:
•   Trying to change the default window manager for all users has no effect. Xfce is always loaded by default with startx.

Vasm XDMSET:
•   When I tried to change login managers I got an error when loading init 4:
which: no gdm in (/bin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin)
which: no wdm in (/bin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin)
•   This happens no matter whether I chose KDM or XDM. After trying to change it back numerous times, it finally worked and I was able to go back to KDM.

Vasm Xconf:
•   As I mentioned before, I tried to use Vasm to fix my X server after nvidia failed. Vasm seems to be working up until you get to the part when it asks about screen resolution. I usually chose AutoConfig and it works. But no matter what I chose, I find that Xconf quits and acts like it finished making its xorg.conf. In other words, after the resolution screen, it drops back to the main menu. And it doesn't fix the xorg.conf. It moves it so now your X system is messed up. If I weren't a Linux geek it would be reinstall time.
•   The problem right now is that if you're not a geek or a CLI expert, messing up your Xorg server is equivalent to hosing your system. I did some searching for fixes to this and here's what I found. The Ubuntu guys came up with a nice solution for this problem, not that I'm an Ubuntu fan (I'm not) but it seems like a nice fix nonetheless. They call it the "BulletProof X" and it basically works like this: IF your xorg.conf file is messed up and X fails to start, THEN it loads up X in a "safe mode" (really just like the xorg-vesa.conf) and then displays  a message that you are in safe mode and gives some info on how to fix it. It would be nice if when the average user's X gets horked, it will boot into some safe mode thing that can get them out of a pinch (especially if they are not very good at the CLI) Here is BulletProof X: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BulletProofX

Startfluxbox(-desk):
•   From the terminal startfluxbox "Error: Couldn't connect to Xserver"
•   startfluxbox-desk doesn't exist

KDM login:
•   Funky login! But the System and Session buttons don't work on the left half of the buttons. They work on the right half. (This may be because my screen resolution is all messed up but I doubt it)

Fluxbox:
•   Multimedia->Graphics->gimp-2.2 shouldn't be there

Desktop Background:
•   Wow, an uglier background could not be found. A better one would make the whole desktop look much more polished and professional.

HAL:
•   I'm experiencing all the HAL problems that have already been reported. However, HAL worked perfectly for me in Beta1

Modules:
•   When I was trying to fix nvidia, I ran lsmod. Interestingly, there are NO modules loaded. There's something wrong with this picture.

In short, I couldn't get nvidia drivers or sound to work. And those are the two main things that I need for packaging. I can't compile or test a lot of the multimedia programs for the Multimedia Bonus Disc if my system is messed up in those two things. Also I experienced major problems with Vasm and X. Either VL is having the equivalent of a "bad hair day" or I don't know what I'm doing. (I'd like to think it was the former) I appreciate all the work it takes to get a distro ready. Keep going!
« Last Edit: October 29, 2007, 10:05:52 am by Dweeberkitty » Logged

Registered Linux User #443399
Desktop: Intel Pentium D 3.33Ghz, 320GB hard drive, 2 gigs DDR2 533mhz RAM, NVIDIA Geforce 7800 GS, X2GEN 22" widescreen monitor;
Laptop: Dell Mini 9, Intel Atom 1.6Ghz, 1GB ram
Multimedia Bonus Disc website: http://www.vectorlinuxsolutions.com/
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #68 on: October 29, 2007, 04:00:35 pm »

Thanks for testing everyone.
I have a new iso to test here: http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/Uelsk8s/old-pkgs/VL5.9-STD-B2.4.iso
should solve a few things.

Uelsk8s
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #69 on: October 29, 2007, 05:11:39 pm »

I can't find that ISO, but I see the 2.3to2.4 patch.. 503K, is that right?
kidd
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #70 on: October 29, 2007, 05:31:05 pm »

I can't find that ISO, but I see the 2.3to2.4 patch.. 503K, is that right?

It's there. Sure.
http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/273/screenjt1.jpg

Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #71 on: October 29, 2007, 11:20:44 pm »

VL59-STD-BETA2.4

Installation hang toward end of installing vlnvidia. Installed w/o and put it in after installation.

Internet connected, CD functioning. Good

No blank screens after logout, Ctrl-Alt-BackSpace, Ctrl-F*. Good

Can't print, printing test page says "printer not connected".Bad

Frozen-bubble crashes and kills X in xfce4 not in fluxbox.  Bad

startx  takes 30 seconds before x shows and 35 seconds for fluxbox to be ready.

It takes 5:30 minutes to bring xfce4 up. From a console with command startx. Really Bad

Regards
BlueMage
Vectorite

« Reply #72 on: October 29, 2007, 11:37:46 pm »

I'd love to share a few other bugs I've encountered, but only Beta 2 and I'm a bit strapped for download quota.

Sounds like we're getting close to RCs though Smiley

Acer Laptop:  Vector 5.8 SOHO Final & Windows XP Professional & USB (still alive!)
Compaq POS (almost dead): Vector 5.9 Light Beta 5
Quad-core BEAST: Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit & Vector 5.9 64-bit beta-2
Old 500MHz media box:  Vector 5.8 SOHO Final (dead)
701 EeePC:  Puppeee (based on Puppy 4.01)
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #73 on: October 30, 2007, 03:02:21 am »

Downloaded and installed beta 2.4.

Install was ok, though using 'linux2' still ends up with keymap selection not working.

Keyboard layout for X was wrong again - had to edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf to correct, even though correct layout was selected during install

First reboot resulted in a black screen, had to power the machine off. Seems to be ok on subsequent reboots.

Not sure, but it looks as though there is an error during startup - hald fails?

Using HAL, CD/DVDs mount, still getting the same error attempting to mount a USB flash drive - the icon appears on the desktop, but it will not mount, double-clicking results in the icon becoming sticky and following the mouse cursor.

I've cheated and installed Midnight Commander from 5.8, so I now have access to .tlz files. The new dialog when using Thunar right-click install is great - shows the user that the install is still working, followed by the output of the install.

I've still got to check that Vl-hot is working, as opposed to HAL.

paul
« Last Edit: October 30, 2007, 03:12:42 am by toothandnail » Logged
Dweeberkitty
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #74 on: October 30, 2007, 10:47:59 am »

Hey! 2.4 is a big improvement!

NVIDIA drivers and sound work out of the box. I haven't had much time to play with it but it's looking good. Is it just me or does this thing really live up to "Vector Linux, at the speed of light"? It is FAST! It really flies!

Registered Linux User #443399
Desktop: Intel Pentium D 3.33Ghz, 320GB hard drive, 2 gigs DDR2 533mhz RAM, NVIDIA Geforce 7800 GS, X2GEN 22" widescreen monitor;
Laptop: Dell Mini 9, Intel Atom 1.6Ghz, 1GB ram
Multimedia Bonus Disc website: http://www.vectorlinuxsolutions.com/
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11
  Print  

Jump to: