VectorLinux
August 22, 2014, 01:37:38 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11
  Print  
Author Topic: VL-5.9-STD-BETA2 Bugs/annoyances  (Read 49203 times)
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« on: October 22, 2007, 10:52:09 pm »

Please post bugs for VL-5.9-STD-BETA2 here.
Thanks,
Uelsk8s
« Last Edit: October 22, 2007, 11:00:38 pm by uelsk8s » Logged
Lyn
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2007, 01:23:22 am »

Just loaded this and found that it doesn't pick up the second optical drive on the system - when I insert a cd into the drive I get an icon pop up and when I double click on it I get this message:

A security policy in place prevents this sender from sending this message to this recipient, see message bus configuration file (rejected message had interface "org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Volume" member "Mount" error name "(unset)" destination "org.freedesktop.Hal")

I have HAL enabled.

Also I noticed that when you are first given the option of changing the key map on installation that I can't change the original US layout - though I can later though that also does not take - I have a @ where the " should be and visa versa.
The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2007, 01:30:08 am »

- The readme on the installer seems old.

- It's not quite clear to me what the other kernel is for.. Is it just a newer version? Or does it have special abilities?

- I chose "Autoconfig" during configuration of X, this caused tiny fonts. Using 1024x768 looks a lot better. Even though auto also sets it up as 1024 x 768.

- I noticed that tilda has been included. While I'm a big fan of "quake style terminals", this one doesn't seem quite ready for inclusion on a stable release. It behaves quite badly when transparancy is used, and for some reason it doesn't seem to be possible to have it use the top 20 pixels or so, except after exiting the preferences screen. But after hiding / bringing it up again the top few pixels are not used by it again. I didn't have this problem with the package Uelsk8s built on beta 1 though (the transparancy problem was there as well).

Screenie: (click for larger image)

- ffmpeg still needs libdc1394 (which isn't included).

- hardinfo still crashes when "sensors" is selected.

Well, that's it for now Wink.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2007, 01:39:08 am by The Headacher » Logged

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2007, 06:50:57 am »

First the good news: Accepting defaults for nvidia-legacy gave me version 96.43.01 and performance is great. No lockups as with previous version.   Smiley

- Superfluous entry in context menu for images: "open with gqview" + "open with GQview".

- Logout bug still there.

- Mplayer still will not open media files on samba shares if there are spaces in filename/path. Audacious and Xine do not have that problem.
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2007, 07:19:02 am »

Just loaded this and found that it doesn't pick up the second optical drive on the system - when I insert a cd into the drive I get an icon pop up and when I double click on it I get this message:

A security policy in place prevents this sender from sending this message to this recipient, see message bus configuration file (rejected message had interface "org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Volume" member "Mount" error name "(unset)" destination "org.freedesktop.Hal")

I have HAL enabled.

Same result here. Also, the "mount devices" on the panel does nothing with respect to the one drive it shows (/dev/cdrom).
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2007, 07:19:33 am »

First the good news: Accepting defaults for nvidia-legacy gave me version 96.43.01 and performance is great. No lockups as with previous version.
Me too!  Wink
- Superfluous entry in context menu for images: "open with gqview" + "open with GQview".
Me too.

Num Lock and caps lock working again.  Num lock acts in reverse in Xfce if activated at KDM greet.

Neither CD ROM picked up.  One reads/writes anything, other is just CD ROM. 
/dev/cdrom > /dev/scd0
/dev/cdwriter > scd0

Both drives are actually /dev/{hdc,hdd}.  I can make them work great by adjusting sym links.

Mount devices plugin in Xfce could really use command: "Thunar" changed to "Thunar %m" so Thunar opens at the mount point rather in users home dir.

Xfburn can't find any devices. Because they aren't there    Tongue
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2007, 07:44:51 am »

Code:
$ catfish
Warning: The optional module xdg.Mime is missing.
slocate: fatal error: Could not find user database '/var/lib/slocate/slocate.db':  No such file or directory

Edit: After running updatedb and opening/closing catfish a couple of times, using slocate for searches now work. Still complaining about xdg.Mime missing.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2007, 08:38:21 am by nightflier » Logged
Lyn
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2007, 09:05:14 am »

And to be honest I don't like the new art work... though that is just a matter of taste.

Also the menus for the various window managers/environments don't match, applications are missing from them, and I don't mean ones that are specific to the administration of that particular environment/manager.
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2007, 02:38:31 pm »

Neither CD ROM picked up.  One reads/writes anything, other is just CD ROM.
/dev/cdrom > /dev/scd0
/dev/cdwriter > scd0

Both drives are actually /dev/{hdc,hdd}.  I can make them work great by adjusting sym links.
Thought I'd share some debug info with the devs rather then simply saying that it doesn't work.

Here's the output of: udevtest /block/hdd
http://pastebin.org/5762
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2007, 05:18:03 pm »

can you remove the cdrom symlinks then download this file: http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/Uelsk8s/cdrom-symlinks.sh
put it in /lib/udev set it executable and then reboot
let us know if it fixes the cdrom symlinks.

Thanks,
Uelsk8s
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2007, 06:19:51 pm »

No luck my friend.  I've reinstalled since so it has original /dev/*

leeh:$ ls -l /dev/cd*           
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root     9 2007-10-23 11:41 /dev/cdrom -> /dev/scd0
brw-rw---- 1 root   24 24, 0 1994-07-18 12:07 /dev/cdu535

Showing the new file in place:
leeh:$ ls -l /lib/udev/cd*
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 3285 2007-10-23 22:07 /lib/udev/cdrom-symlinks.sh*
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 7752 2007-10-16 15:39 /lib/udev/cdrom_id*

Is there some missing hardware database?  I've been pulling my hair out trying to remember what it's called. The debug info I posted earlier shows complaints about a missing db.
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2007, 06:56:49 pm »

Can you move the file /etc/udev/rules.d/50-udev.rules to anywhere else and then reboot and see if it changes anything?
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2007, 06:58:06 pm »

also message in /var/log/messages that relate to messages in debug
root:# grep -r "_id" /var/log/messages
Oct 23 22:13:49 vector edd_id[2174]: main: no kernel EDD support

Tried modprobe edd and restarting udev and nothing exciting.
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2007, 07:03:58 pm »

Okay, gone. Same sym link as before.
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2007, 10:10:29 pm »

I installed it today on my laptop, which had a very hard time with Beta 1. Good news and bad news.

First, the good news. I was able to get a successful installation using the sata kernel. That is, I had to type
sata
at the first prompt after the CD boots. First I had tried with the default kernel, but the installation halted after the first "floppy 0" line and required turning off the power switch. So I tried "sata" and that went all the way through without incident.

I did not install a boot loader and am using the CD to boot into the installation. I use the
sata root=/dev/hda6 ro
command to boot. In contrast to Beta 1, I did have modules in lsmod. I had no modules in lsmod with Beta 1. However, some were missing that I thought should be there, so I'm still not sure that things are working right. I did install the proprietary nVidia driver, which seems to have worked properly. Startx brought up the nVidia screen and then XFce, which looked good and at 1280x800 (though I haven't confirmed that yet).

Now the bad news:
* No sound comes out of the speakers. No sound has ever come out of the speakers, whether on VectorLinux 5.8 or 5.9 installed in a Linux partition or from one of the many LiveCDs I've tried. So that problem remains. It's obviously not VL's problem.
* I tried to get my wireless working. When I got to the
modprobe ndiswrapper
part, I got "ndiswrapper not found". When I ran
ndiswrapper -l
the only driver listed was the rtl8185 that I had just installed. Nothing else. So something seems amiss with ndiswrapper. Also, when I did ifconfig before I started working on the wireless, I got no eth0, which is odd because there is an Ethernet chip in the laptop and it works well with Linux. I would expect to see forcedeth in lsmod, but there was nothing there. It should have been added automatically.

So, without a network I can't go much farther. Pity.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11
  Print  

Jump to: