VectorLinux
October 24, 2014, 12:07:45 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Historical Inevitability: M$ set to horn in on OLPC with XP Lite  (Read 11587 times)
Freston
Vectorite

« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2008, 02:04:04 pm »

Quote from: tomh38
Oh yeah ... I bought the Deluxe VL, and I hope a lot of other people will also.
Well, as it seems someone here at VL managed to find a boat to the Netherlands, 'cuz my order status just changed to 'shipping'.

But what was there about ... who?? Microsomething? Yeah... that was optional on the laptop I've just bought. O.o Was I supposed to have that?? *hides quickly*
metvas
Vectorite

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2008, 02:58:23 pm »

Was or is  there a problem with you order?
Regards
Darrell

Knowledge is Power, share it.
Be the change you want to see in the World
Freston
Vectorite

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2008, 03:35:08 pm »

Quote from: metvas
Was or is  there a problem with you order?
No  Tongue I was derailing (but I'm pleading ignorance  Roll Eyes)

Things can always go wrong. But I was quite pleased with the speed 'till now. I don't want to challenge the gods on this one, but I'm getting messages about the progress so I'm confident Cheesy

It's just... maybe because I'm Dutch... 'shipping' seemed funny to me. I know what it means, but it  made me think of .. ehm .. 'ships'. Nevermind  Wink

Thanks for asking by the way Cheesy
metvas
Vectorite

« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2008, 08:08:50 pm »

Hi:
There are only 4 options in the ship/shipping field at Paypal. shipping was the wrong one if that is what you got. It should have said "shipped". Not as in Queen Mary but as in...just kidding...LOL
Darrell

Knowledge is Power, share it.
Be the change you want to see in the World
nubcnubdo
Vectorian

« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2008, 01:53:01 pm »

Seven Stunning Facts About Microsoft’s Profits
http://www.thevarguy.com/2008/01/28/seven-stunning-facts-about-microsofts-profits/
it takes Microsoft only about…
# Three hours to exceed Salesforce.com’s quarterly net income of $6.5 million
# Ten hours to exceed Red Hat’s quarterly net income of $20.3 million
# Three-and-a-half days to exceed Harley Davidson’s quarterly net income of $186.1 million
# Ten days to exceed Target Stores’ quarterly net income of $483 million
# Thirty days to exceed Apple’s quarterly net income of $1.58 billion
# Thirty-three days to exceed PepsiCo’s quarterly net income of $1.7 billion
# Seventy-six days to exceed IBM’s quarterly net income of $3.95 billio

comments to article are interesting too
« Last Edit: January 29, 2008, 02:13:50 pm by nubcnubdo » Logged
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2008, 02:06:32 pm »

I think we don't have to worry about MS working in OLPC boxes. As nightflier pointed, Linux powered the project and finally made the goal: kids with computers. I want to point the problem is not the size of the MS market share, the problem is the monopolistic practice.  Tom is right in something, MS was very aggressive with the Linux community in the past, and as my granny uses to say, "el que se quema con leche ve una vaca y llora".
Anyway, I will not bash MS anymore, it push me away from the Linux shell Cheesy

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2008, 02:41:47 pm »

You know, one time when I was kid, I got burned by some milk.  The next time I saw a cow, I started crying.  So that's a very wise saying.  Grin

There's also the saying, "Fool me once, shame on you.  Fool me twice, shame on me."

I will not bash MS anymore, it push me away from the Linux shell.
ROFL

I wouldn't bash MS or complain about Windows if they didn't keep finding ways of intruding into my life.  I'm sure some of you know how it is ... once a few people find out that you know even a little about computers, you never stop getting phone calls for help.  And every time I get reminded in this very annoying way, I think of all the other crap.  I dunno ... maybe that makes me a Linux fanboy or something.  I really don't care if it does.  I'm just so very tired of you-know-what made by you-know-who.

"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2008, 03:05:06 pm »

LOL I will have to be careful with my Spanish here..., I wanted to quote my granny and she can't speak English. I love... how do you call it? We call them "refranes", like a common place. I have an aunt from Barcelona and she knows tons of them, like "en casa de herrero cuchillo de palo", I think they are a very Iberic tradition (my granny family comes from Pais Vasco.)

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."

--
Jumalauta!!
tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2008, 01:38:28 am »

rbistolfi

If I remember correctly, a "refran" is in English a "proverb" or "saying," in other words as you said a commonplace idea which expresses a sort of folk wisdom.  In the English-speaking world, very many of these proverbs come from two places:  1) The King James Bible, and 2) Shakespeare.  And then there are a lot of other much smaller sources.

I hope you didn't think I was making fun of your grandmother or her sayings.  The proverb "el que se quema con leche ve una vaca y llora" expresses something very basic about human (or even animal) psychology, i.e. we tend to develop aversion to things which have hurt us in the past.

"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991
Colonel Panic
Vectorian

« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2008, 03:06:47 am »

Macs are expensive in the UK; I saw one in a local computer shop, complete with TFT monitor, for 1600 pounds (about $3000 US) secondhand, though it looked very stylish. So for that reason alone most people here stick with PCs, and they normally come with Windows though I have seen a secondhand one (in the same shop) with Ubuntu installed.
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2008, 03:08:38 am »

rbistolfi

If I remember correctly, a "refran" is in English a "proverb" or "saying," in other words as you said a commonplace idea which expresses a sort of folk wisdom.  In the English-speaking world, very many of these proverbs come from two places:  1) The King James Bible, and 2) Shakespeare.  And then there are a lot of other much smaller sources.

"Saying" sounds accurate, and your definition too. I think they are really nice, in this times when we refer to "tradition" only as an oppressive thing, the provers seems to be a funny way of "passing wisdom" in a oral way, which is not very common now. And the "character" who is saying them all the time is just cute, very common here in immigrants  from Spain with a few years.

I hope you didn't think I was making fun of your grandmother or her sayings.  The proverb "el que se quema con leche ve una vaca y llora" expresses something very basic about human (or even animal) psychology, i.e. we tend to develop aversion to things which have hurt us in the past.

Oh, not at all Tom, but I was making fun a little Grin, I will confess to her today Smiley. I was surprised because you got it right there, as I like to say -perhaps steal from Aristotle, the great- "happiness is to be understood". I remember a story about a very old man from China who used to scream some aenigma, just hoping to be guessed. There is clearly a nice concept about "community" in all this stuff. Well I am bashing MS after all Grin

--
Jumalauta!!
tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2008, 06:53:18 am »

rbistolfi

I had a grandmother (my mother's mother) who was what we call a "character" - sort of an odd or funny person but in a good way.  When we would eat with her or she with us, she would say the prayer before the meal:  "In the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Ghost, whoever eats the fastest gets the most."  She was also always stealing parking places from people, slipping in just as someone else was about to park their car.  My mother would yell at her, but my grandmother would just say "That's what they got brakes for."  She died when I was only ten, but I still miss her.

Anyway, I think you're right about sayings/proverbs and passing down oral wisdom.  I suppose before the invention of the printing press, these sayings were one of the main ways of passing knowledge from one generation to the next, since most people couldn't read.

My grandmother had a saying, "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing."  This was first said by Alexander Pope, I think some time in the 18th century.  It's funny that I remember that after all these years, but it goes toward proving your point about proverbs and passing down oral wisdom.

On the subject of computers ... I think one of the great challenges of the "information age" is that now there is so much information that it is very difficult to sort out what's good from what's garbage.  I would like to see into the future a few centuries and know how generations to come will deal with this.

Tom
« Last Edit: January 30, 2008, 07:06:23 am by tomh38 » Logged

rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2008, 07:18:18 am »

Yeah I know the feeling. My grandmother is not very well, the years finally got her, and we lost gandpa a few years ago. Your's must have been a lovely woman, and I took note of her pray, I am sure she never guessed someone in the other side of the world could repeat it.
The most thing I give value in the oral traditions is not the wisdom per se, which can be good or not,  but the relations between who speaks and who listen, and the way of interacting between members of the community. After all, to be a member of a community -that is, to share a language- is to share a past, most of the time a mythical one, and a future, or common goal or cause, which is a projection of that past.
Surely the "hyper-information" has its troubles, and could be really interesting to see how this thing will finally end. I see a furure with millions of persons doing a silence vote reacting against all this information (which is most of the time pseudo-information) all over the place Cheesy

--
Jumalauta!!
BlueMage
Vectorite

« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2008, 03:32:54 pm »

Macs are expensive in the UK; I saw one in a local computer shop, complete with TFT monitor, for 1600 pounds (about $3000 US) secondhand, though it looked very stylish. So for that reason alone most people here stick with PCs, and they normally come with Windows though I have seen a secondhand one (in the same shop) with Ubuntu installed.

Now that's interesting... here in .au you can get a top-of-the-line Intel-based iMac for under 3000AUD (which I know is less than 3000USD).  I'm wondering, this second-hand one, would it be a G5 or similar (one of Apple's few bulky PC-esque machines)?

Acer Laptop:  Vector 5.8 SOHO Final & Windows XP Professional & USB (still alive!)
Compaq POS (almost dead): Vector 5.9 Light Beta 5
Quad-core BEAST: Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit & Vector 5.9 64-bit beta-2
Old 500MHz media box:  Vector 5.8 SOHO Final (dead)
701 EeePC:  Puppeee (based on Puppy 4.01)
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2008, 03:40:57 pm »

Now that's interesting... here in .au you can get a top-of-the-line Intel-based iMac for under 3000AUD (which I know is less than 3000USD).  I'm wondering, this second-hand one, would it be a G5 or similar (one of Apple's few bulky PC-esque machines)?

3000 USD!!!!  Shocked. I have to work a little less than one year to earn that, without eating of course Sad

--
Jumalauta!!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  

Jump to: