VectorLinux
April 19, 2014, 09:47:50 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: vl for fileserver  (Read 8433 times)
ghartl1
Vectorite

« on: October 26, 2007, 11:45:19 am »

hi,

in the near future i have to upgrade a network..

situation now: 1 server 2003 and 5 clients (w2k)
the server fulfills only the task of an fileserver.this box is already 7 years old an runs without any break every day (except the upgrade 2004 from server2000 to server2003)..and a few days ago when we have to rebuild the raidsystem...malfunctional hd.
its fitted with 6 hd(raid5)each holds 80gb.
the datavolumina is "only" 50 gb big.

what i have in mind:first install vl-soho on the clients. there are no special windows-apps necessary (they do mainly internetrecherche..)and need a webbrowser, pdf, and office)thats it.

when we see, that the clients run smooth (whereas i see no ngative side on it) im still very happy with my own vl.

afterwards we will migrate the server:
so we ned a new hardware too.is vl a good recommendation for this(fileserver)??

another question...is it really necessary to integrate a raid system? one big hd and a spare-hd outside the box....clone the system via partimage, and in the worst case i can swap the hds and i am set. the owner does a daily backup via external usb-hd.

so here i am..first and foremost question: can i use vl as server-os? for the clients for sure....

any suggestions are welcome

greets günter
« Last Edit: October 26, 2007, 11:47:51 am by ghartl1 » Logged
MikeCindi
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2007, 03:16:08 pm »

Yes VL will work as a server as I did it with 5.8 Gold last year with three attached workstations (all at home: two laptops and another desktop, each dual booting between XP and VL or SuSE). The server hardware was an old Compaq server. VL did great and I don't suppose that being std vs. SOHO will matter. (I won't be much help right now in telling you all the steps I went through as the server is in storage - moved from South Africa to USA in January. I never got the mail server portion working as I wanted though but in about 6 months I will have everything back together and working on that issue again (maybe using VL6 then?)).

The plans of the diligent lead to profit...Pro. 21:5
VL64 7.1b3                                     RLU 486143
ghartl1
Vectorite

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2007, 01:03:03 am »

thanks for your reassuring words.....

is there any howto with vl and samba available?

greets günter
larkl

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2007, 02:58:31 am »

Samba is very well documented on the Internet.  Difference between distros that I've seen with samba might be in the location of the smb.conf file (with 5.8 std, it 's in /etc/samba/smb.conf).  Pay particular attention to the password documentation and if you choose user level security, be sure to add each user with >smbpasswd -a <user>.   I would just use 5.8 std not SOHO on server, no need for the extras.
ghartl1
Vectorite

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2007, 03:44:14 am »

thanks...

greets günter
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2007, 07:11:31 am »

is there any howto with vl and samba available?

This was written for VL 5.1, but not much has changed.
http://www.vectorlinux.com/forum2/index.php?topic=84.0
ghartl1
Vectorite

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2007, 02:07:39 pm »

looks promising..any experience with vl 5.8  and kde ??

thanks..greets günter
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2007, 12:40:49 pm »

I have been using KDE (SOHO) for a couple of years. It does very well in a networked environment as it accesses network shares on the fly. No need for manual mount/unmount operations. I just have bookmarks in Konqueror which work for samba, fish (ssh), ftp and more.

As far as the RAID goes, it just depends on your needs. Mirroring facilitates continuous operation if one drive fails. It is not a substitute for regular backups to other media, as file corruption/deletion immediately hits both copies. For mission critical machines you should have both.
ghartl1
Vectorite

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2007, 03:18:16 am »

hi nightflier..

regarding the raid stuff..i am well aware that on this issue the opinions differ :-)

foremost my concerns are about samba..

is there a way in soho implemented so that i can save a openoffice-file from a linux box to a server2003?

missed the location (other win-box) in the office dialogue..

to put it in a nutshell..have you realized a samba office network, where the linux-clients have unlimited access(without the "hassle" of mounting external shares)..

is there something developed in soho 5.8 in contrast to 5.1

my goal:implement a linux-box in a w2k enviroment with 2003 server.the linux box acts as a client. there are no restrictions regarding passwords on folders in the net...server2003  has 2 netdrives where the w2000 clients have unlimited access....so the same should be possible with vl.

i need an "easy" way..no rightmanagement...simple store files on server2003 without password-dialogue..

i have to racket my brain a little..never dovein before on this samba-stuf :-)

there are so many howtos in the net...so i start somewhere till i get stuck..very timeconsuming

greets günter
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2007, 03:45:46 am »

There is no right answer on this subject.

My opinion is that a server should never be down. If there are
not redundant servers, then downtime should not be more than
15 minutes.

Nothing has been done in SOHO for samba other than install
and configure.

There are several ways to accomplish what you are looking for.

1. Use LDAP from Active Directory and Samba for a single sign on.
2. Auto mount your shares
3. Use Samba as a Domain controller and use 2003 as a file server

This is not a task for the faint at heart, Samba will take about a good
two weeks reading to understand the way Samba and it's protocols work.

Then you can make a decision. Samba 4 looks like even better than the
3.XX series.

The biggest thing to remember is someone will need to manage it after
you are gone.

Bigpaws

nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2007, 09:39:21 am »

Yeah, networking can be tricky.
For OpenOffice to open/save files on a samba share, looks like the share needs to be mounted.

Bigpaws' suggestion #2, auto-mounting the shares, is something I understand and do on a regular basis. That I could give you some pointers on, if you decide to try it.
ghartl1
Vectorite

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2007, 04:42:54 am »

does the automount stuff work on a reliable daily baase?

how have you accomplished it? edit the fstab to mount win-drives on boottime? what would be the exact syntax...

i only need unlimited access to 2 netdrives of a windows-box (server 2003)...no vice versa.
no passwords no authentificaation...go to the windrive in konqueror and put the file there..the file should be writeable from everybody in the net...there is no need for authentification there...

i need the simple way....and im still not very familiar to swat either...

greets günter
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2007, 05:55:21 am »

does the automount stuff work on a reliable daily baase?

Yes

i only need unlimited access to 2 netdrives of a windows-box (server 2003)...no vice versa.

Then why Samba? Why not in Konqueror in the address bar smb://ipaddress/netdrive?
This is simple way to do this no need for the other services.

Konqueror supports alot of protocols like fish and smb.

HTH

Bigpaws
ghartl1
Vectorite

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2007, 07:56:31 am »

Then why Samba? Why not in Konqueror in the address bar smb://ipaddress/netdrive?

headbang...you are right...

and how can i manage the unlimited access(no userlogin..no password) to the netdrives and dont have to manually mount the share?

edit fstab?

//winhost/share   /mnt/windows    smbfs    guest  0 0

activate the guest account on the winbox
no authentificationdialogue will appear..right?

greets günter
ps: sorry, that i am so adamant
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2007, 08:20:04 am »

You will not need to mount the share.

Just share the two directories.

Then add a link to the desktop or home folder smb://ip address/file share1
and then the same for the second share.

Bigpaws
Pages: [1] 2
  Print