VectorLinux
July 30, 2014, 03:10:34 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: About to install but one question.  (Read 1868 times)
SMR

« on: October 27, 2007, 08:30:36 am »

My previous experience with partitioning has taught me to be very cautious when  attempting it.  My harddisk is set up like this:
Partition 1 - 30MB FAT32 drive - contains autoexec.bat and boot.ini and all that jazz
Partition 2 - 75GB NTFS drive with no OS (used to have Windows 2k but I deleted it since it stopped booting for some odd M$ reason)
Partition 3 - 73GB NTFS with XP Pro

I'm planning on deleting partition 2 and installing Vector there.  In theory, will this work without fail (IE, will XP's boot entry automatically be put into Lilo and I will be able to boot XP from Lilo without trouble)?
« Last Edit: October 27, 2007, 08:38:27 am by SMR » Logged
MikeCindi
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2007, 10:12:38 am »

Yes, that should work. If you put lilo or grub in the MBR then VL's setup SHOULD detect and allow you to boot XP from partition 1 (where your Windows boot files are located). I personally use bootpart (see this thread: http://www.vectorlinux.com/forum2/index.php?topic=1073.msg17052#msg17052) and put lilo in the the bootsector of my linux root partition.
HTH,
Mike

The plans of the diligent lead to profit...Pro. 21:5
VL64 7.1b3                                     RLU 486143
YeOldeFarte

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2007, 01:19:17 pm »

Greetings!  I am a newish Vector user, and I can't refuse to suggest one of the nicest features of Vector.  I use VectorLinux 5.8 SOHO, and I place the LILO bootloader on a floppy disk.  This way it does not interfere with the Windows bootloader, and it really doesn't matter whether  LILO sees Windows or not.  You just have to make sure that you set the BIOS to boot from floppy before hard drive.  When you want Vector you stick in the floppy.  When you want Windows you remove the floppy.  It works like a charm.
     Hope this helps.
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2007, 01:45:15 pm »

Hi, YeOldeFarte, good tip. I used to give it too, but looks like the rest of the world dropped the floppy disks. A lot of machines are shipped without a floppy device today, which is ok, since the portable usb devices are great and more secure. I dont use floppys at all, but for booting issues on my own machines.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2007, 02:34:40 pm »

My previous experience with partitioning has taught me to be very cautious when  attempting it.  My harddisk is set up like this:
Partition 1 - 30MB FAT32 drive - contains autoexec.bat and boot.ini and all that jazz
Partition 2 - 75GB NTFS drive with no OS (used to have Windows 2k but I deleted it since it stopped booting for some odd M$ reason)
Partition 3 - 73GB NTFS with XP Pro

I'm planning on deleting partition 2 and installing Vector there.  In theory, will this work without fail (IE, will XP's boot entry automatically be put into Lilo and I will be able to boot XP from Lilo without trouble)?

You might want to take a look at my HowTo on using the XP boot loader to start VectorLinux. It's here:
http://www.vectorlinux.com/forum2/index.php?topic=1073.msg6559#msg6559

It's very easy, very reliable, and you can be sure XP will start, as well as VL. If you have a floppy drive, a floppy disk is the safest place to install LILO. But if you don't (like many people today), the XP boot loader is an excellent alternative.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
SMR

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2007, 06:28:36 pm »

Thanks for the tips guys.

Although to the people who suggested I use a floppy for the bootloader, I don't have one. Sad
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: