VectorLinux
August 01, 2014, 02:09:52 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: vector for laptops?  (Read 1576 times)
mortal

« on: October 26, 2007, 09:56:00 pm »

Hi,I'm new to vector and just had a couple questions-

How well does speedstep perform?

How well does wine perform?

This is for a thinkpad t22  384mb ram.I'm using slack 12/blackbox at the moment but I could use a fully functional distro geared towards older machines that uses a smaller memory"footprint".Right now I have about 85 mb ram free with mozilla open and nothing else.Would vector be much better?
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2007, 12:31:45 pm »

Wine performs very well with some programs, with varying degrees of success with others, and not at all with some. If you tell us what you'd like to run under Wine, somebody can tell you whether they've run it and how well for some programs, anyway.

Vector often runs faster than other distros because it doesn't load many services and daemons by default. I can't answer your questions about Firefox (mozilla, I presume) and Speedstep.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2007, 12:47:01 pm »

How well does speedstep perform?

I'm running Vector (5.9 beta2) on a Thinkpad T40. Speedstep works well on it. There are a couple of things that you need to check. First, under 5.8, the wrong speedstep module was being loaded - I had to blacklist it and add the correct module to /etc/rc.d/rc.modlues.

As well as checking that the correct module is loaded, you'll need to set vcpufreq to use ondemand, save its configuration and start on boot. You will also need to add a command to /etc/rc.local to start vcpufrq. I have the following as the last line in /etc/rc.d/rc.local:

Code:
/sbin/vcpufreq-load

How well does wine perform?

Sorry, don't run Win stuff, so I've never tried.

This is for a thinkpad t22  384mb ram.I'm using slack 12/blackbox at the moment but I could use a fully functional distro geared towards older machines that uses a smaller memory"footprint".Right now I have about 85 mb ram free with mozilla open and nothing else.Would vector be much better?

In terms of memory usage, conky reports that 170 MB of memory is in use. I've got Seamonkey (both the mail client and the browser), a terminal and Midnight Commander running in an Aterm window. Don't know how that would compare with Slackware, or the use of a different window manager.. I've not run Slackware since version 8.

paul.
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2007, 01:50:42 pm »

in terms of memory usage, conky reports that 170 MB of memory is in use. I've got Seamonkey (both the mail client and the browser), a terminal and Midnight Commander running in an Aterm window. Don't know how that would compare with Slackware, or the use of a different window manager.. I've not run Slackware since version 8.

I get around 40 / 50 megs of ram usage after boot using fluxbox.
Since Slack uses KDE, VL will improve the memory usage with the smaller WM it uses. It philosophy is to run the smaller possible  amount of daemons, so, I think you are in the right place Wink

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
mortal

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2007, 08:52:25 pm »

Is there any risk of hardware damage if I don't use speedstep?
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2007, 11:05:13 pm »

Is there any risk of hardware damage if I don't use speedstep?

There shouldn't be. The machine will run a good deal hotter, so I suppose that there may be some chance of overheating, but it should be minimal. Battery life will certainly be shortened.

First thing to do is to check what speed step modules are loaded. From a terminal, enter 'lsmod | more", which will list the kernel modules loaded. In my case (the T40 uses a Pentium-M CPU), I have the following loaded:

Code:
acpi_cpufreq            7880  1

Having made the changes that I specified to vcpufreq, I also have these modules loaded:

Code:
cpufreq_ondemand        7692  1
freq_table              4768  2 cpufreq_ondemand,acpi_cpufreq

In addition, I have thinkpad_acpi loaded (was called ibm_acpi in kernels before 2.6.22.x). I'm not sure whetheer that would work with your Thinkpad - it may be too early to fully support ACPI.

If you paste the results of the lsmod command, it should be possible to check what is being loaded.

paul
mortal

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2007, 12:46:54 am »

Well,I got  it working but ondemand will not work nor will conservative,only powersave,performance or userspace but it works:) thanks for help to get me this far.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: