VectorLinux
September 19, 2014, 05:36:45 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: YCalc  (Read 3165 times)
Colonel Panic
Vectorian

« on: October 28, 2007, 01:31:26 am »

Hi, another maths related question. I've downloaded and tried to build YCalc, a scientific calculator based on the Texas TI-59 calculator), and I can't find a config file for it. Here's the file listing;

CHANGES
COPYING
Calc.h
Keys.h
Main.h
Makefile
Memory.h
ascii.c
binary.c
calc.c
keys.c
main.c
memory.c
req.c
ycalc.1

Can anyone tell me how I might be able to build it from this basis? This isn't just a question about YCalc but about building software in general.

Thanks in advance,

Colonel Panic
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2007, 03:35:44 am »

I found the main site (when asking please provide a link to the
original work, less searching for us).

I downloaded a couple of the files. There is really no build information
included or README (I like documentation). I would consider
looking for another program.

So if you wish to continue then extract the file and then go into that
directory and issue the command make.

Here is some reading for you:

http://www.tuxfiles.org/linuxhelp/softinstall.html

Bigpaws
Colonel Panic
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2007, 12:11:55 pm »

Thanks for the info and the link (you're right, I should have included the link).

On trying to make the file I get the message;

*** No rule to make target "install." Stop.

Automake returns the message " 'configure.ac' or 'configure.in' is required."

It's a fairly current source though so I'd think it'd be possible to build it, but failing that I've got other calculators I can use.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2007, 12:18:18 pm by Colonel Panic » Logged
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2007, 04:29:47 pm »

I had a heck of a time finding the sources for some reason.  Seems I couldn't connect to the main site.

I couldn't compile it.  I'm guessing since I'm in VL5.9 with gcc4.  Ycalc seems to be rather old. In any case, the Makefile needs some serious editing.  Take this code and save it as a Makefile in your sources dir.  Maybe you will have better luck compiling on 5.8.  I don't have it on my machines at the moment or I would try myself.  It "should" run with just "make" and "make install".  Rule "install" is there.  But is doomed as we don't have "bsdinst". I swapped it out with "ginstall". I think it will work.  Also the path was crazy, so I put it in /usr.
Here's the code: http://pastebin.org/6297 Just click the download link to avoid copying all the line numbers.  Then rename it to Makefile.
Good Luck!
« Last Edit: October 29, 2007, 06:22:16 am by exeterdad » Logged
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2007, 06:21:10 am »

I revisited this Ycalc thing since I don't like getting my butt kicked.  Turns out the sources I had downloaded were modified for the bsd guys.  That explains why the makefile wouldn't work for linux. Try this makefile instead. http://pastebin.org/6337
I still can't get it to compile with gcc4.  I spent a long time searching.  No one seems to be building this package anymore.  I found rpm's from years ago.  Puppy linux has a package, but I couldn't find their sources, so I don't know what they did to build it.  I'm betting it wasn't built with gcc4? I don't know enough about c++ to try to port the needed files so I'm not even going to try to fake my way through this one.  Cheesy
HTH
Colonel Panic
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2007, 01:39:07 pm »

Thanks, I'll give it a go. I'm impressed as well as grateful that you've put in so much work on my behalf here.

The object of the exercise for me is as much to learn more about Linux as it is to get YCalc working on my system (I believe it's used as the default scientific calculator in Puppy). Up till now I've only been able to manage straightforward compilations from source, which run thus;

./configure
make
make install

and I'm increasingly finding sources which don't fit this convenient pattern.

Thanks again,

Colonel Panic.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2007, 01:43:48 pm by Colonel Panic » Logged
InTheWoods
Vectorite

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2007, 03:13:23 pm »

I thought I would give this a go.
Here is the location I downloaded from.
http://www.gbg.bonet.se/un/ycalc.html

I chose version 1.09.1 ran:
Code:
make

This creates an executable named ycalc which you can run by clicking on in thunar.
You do not actually make a package and you cannot run it from a terminal.

I'm increasingly finding sources which don't fit this convenient pattern

I feel your pain!

exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2007, 07:10:09 pm »

Oh good! It will compile on 5.8!  Enjoy it while you can  Undecided
BTW the modded makefile will "make install" in /usr/bin, and the man file in /usr/man/man1  You may wish to make a .desktop file and dig up a icon for it, if it won't run in a Terminal.  That's very odd.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2007, 07:41:34 am by exeterdad » Logged
Colonel Panic
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2007, 11:07:33 pm »

I revisited this Ycalc thing since I don't like getting my butt kicked.  Turns out the sources I had downloaded were modified for the bsd guys.  That explains why the makefile wouldn't work for linux. Try this makefile instead. http://pastebin.org/6337

It works! Once again, thanks.

Best,

Colonel Panic.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: