VectorLinux
September 17, 2014, 11:15:45 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: vcpufreq  (Read 1468 times)
voodoo.child

« on: October 31, 2007, 03:35:16 pm »

i have a dell inspiron 1505, with a dual core processor (T2050). I just installed vector-linux, but I don't know how to make my cpus run in c4, at 800mhz instead of 1600 (fullspead). vcpufreq says something like:

"unable to set desired scaling governor... try modprobing corresponding governor module:
# modprobe cpufreq_userspace"

however there is no such module. i tried inserting all cpufreq* modules and everything found in /lib/modules/2.6.18.5/kernel/drivers/acpi directory, but still vcpufreq doesn't work.

hereis the full output from vcpufreq-load

root:# vcpufreq-load
vcpufreq-load enabled in config...
CPUFreqPath: /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq
sh: /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor: No such file or directory
Unable to set desired scaling governor...
try modprobing corresponding governor module:

# modprobe cpufreq_userspace
sh: line 1: try: command not found
Set scaling governor: userspace
sh: /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_setspeed: No such file or directory
Set scaling speed: 0 (0 MegaHertz)
sh: /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_max_freq: No such file or directory
Set scaling max freq.: 0 (0 MegaHertz)
sh: /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_min_freq: No such file or directory
Set scaling min freq.: 0 (0 MegaHertz)

what modules should I load? how can I fix this problem?
mortal

« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2007, 05:23:03 pm »

refer to my post "vector for laptops" there is some help there that i found useful.That post is a little down the page from yours.
voodoo.child

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2007, 10:12:02 pm »

i started from your topic...  but could not understand exactly what i should do Smiley except that I have to insert some modules which clearly didn't work for me.
The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2007, 11:57:57 pm »

My core 2 duo t5300 seems to need the module "speedstep-lib" to be loaded. There are probably nicer ways to do this, but adding
Code:
modprobe speedstep-lib
to the file /etc/rc.d/rc.local should make sure the module is loaded each time you start the system.

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2007, 03:37:16 am »

My core 2 duo t5300 seems to need the module "speedstep-lib" to be loaded. There are probably nicer ways to do this, but adding
Code:
modprobe speedstep-lib
to the file /etc/rc.d/rc.local should make sure the module is loaded each time you start the system.

Isn't it better to add it to /etc/rc.modules? That file seems set up to allow easy addition of needed modules. I added /sbin/modprobe thinkpad_acpi to it to get the thinkpad_acpi loaded for my Thinkpad.

paul
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2007, 08:42:45 am »

Are the modules actually there? Sounds like they are missing. Have you recompiled the kernel with a custom configuration?

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: