VectorLinux
December 19, 2014, 12:39:38 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: pls help Vector linux with windows multi-boot  (Read 9778 times)
arundracula

« on: November 01, 2007, 09:01:00 am »

I have a windows OS in my drive C:
Also I have D,E,F,and G drives. I want to install vector linux as the second Operating System.
I already read the installation manual.I didn't understand anything completely. It will be a big job if my windows drive get formatted. So I need a clear help for installing Vector with windows. Can you describe what are the main things that I have to do?

I have no idea about where/how to put root partition,swap,and home. (The D,E,F,and G drives have to be accessed in both OSes.)
Can you help? I am very new to Linux. Please...

Re-installing is not a problem, but it is when I had to.
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2007, 11:45:54 am »

This may help screenshots included. The first partition should
be your windows partition.

Remember to backup windows if it is that important. If you
are not able to reinstall windows the install a second
hard drive.

Bigpaws
larkl

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2007, 01:51:48 pm »

Are D, E, F, & G additional partitions on the same drive or a second (or third?) drive?  Reason that I ask is this...  My preference if you have a second drive and WIndows is functional on the first is to move the Windows drive to the slave position.  Now the Windows MBR on this drive will not be touched when you move the second drive to the master position and then install Linux on it.  If you really mess up, you still have the pristine Windows drive that has NOT been changed at all.  During or shortly after the Linux installation, you'll get the boot loader on the (now) master drive to recognize and boot Windows if you so choose each time the PC starts. 
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2007, 04:15:03 pm »

I have no idea about where/how to put root partition,swap,and home. (The D,E,F,and G drives have to be accessed in both OSes.)

Do you have empty space on your drive? You need empty space in which to install Linux. This doesn't mean unused space on one of those logical drives, but actual empty space in the extended partition or on a second hard drive.

With cfdisk when you start the VL installation, set up a swap partition of about 512 megs in the empty space. Then create a Linux partition with the rest of the empty space. You don't have to make the root partition and the home partition separate. I never do. You can retain the advantages of a separate /home simply by copying your /home directory to an external hard drive (there are a few things you have to do to retain Linux permissions, but it's not difficult).

For complete safety, don't put LILO in your Master Boot Record. If you have a floppy drive, install LILO on a floppy disk. Then if you want to boot Windows, just take the floppy disk from the floppy drive and boot Windows from the hard drive as you do now. Actually, LILO can include Windows among the operating systems you can boot to with the LILO floppy disk, so you can leave the floppy in the drive and boot to whatever you want. But with your MBR being untouched, you don't need to worry that you couldn't boot Windows. If you have Windows XP, you can use the XP boot loader to boot to Linux, too. See my HowTo at http://www.vectorlinux.com/forum2/index.php?topic=1073.msg6559#msg6559 . This is very easy and safe and leaves your MBR untouched, so you have no fears about being unable to boot Windows.

It's important that you know exactly what's on your logical drives and what Linux calls them. hda is your first hard drive, hdb is your second drive. sda is used for SATA drives and SCSI drives. Back up your Windows drives; this scares away the gremlins. Smiley

Good luck!
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
arundracula

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2007, 08:40:07 am »

Thanks for all. Now I have my fear lowered. I am going to install VL tomorrow morning...

Re-installing is not a problem, but it is when I had to.
gamfa
Vectorite

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2007, 03:35:41 am »

Granny....you have a mistake in your how-to for dual booting XP and linux. You give this to rip the boot sector....

dd if=/dev/hda2 of=/tmp/bootsect.lnx bs=1 count=512

It should be.....

dd if=/dev/hda2 of=/tmp/bootsect.lnx bs=512 count=1

"Don't tell my cattle I have leather seats in my truck"

"I never let schooling stand in the way of my education"...Mark Twain
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2007, 04:33:15 pm »

I think the command is correct as given, Gamfa.

I got it directly from Slackware Linux Essentials, Second Edition and just now I checked it to make sure I didn't make a typo. I've used it many times and it has always worked. Do you have some reason to think it's wrong?
--GrannyGeek

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2007, 10:40:05 pm »

Well, far as I can tell, 512 * 1 equals 1 * 512  but 1 of them is surely faster.

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
gamfa
Vectorite

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2007, 04:09:09 am »

I was given the "count=1 bs=512" by Tigger back on 3.2 and have been using that ever since on many Win/linux systems.

GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2007, 01:11:57 pm »

Since bs=1 count=512 or bs=512 count=1 both seem to work, I guess it doesn't make any difference.
--GrannyGeek

lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2007, 05:02:09 pm »

Since bs=1 count=512 or bs=512 count=1 both seem to work, I guess it doesn't make any difference.
--GrannyGeek

I haven't actually tried it but I would suspect "count=1 bs=512" would be much faster. Theoretically dd would create a cache of memory 512 bytes in size of whatever input and then write it to the device just once. This must be faster than 1 byte being written to the device 512 times! Seems logical, but I have been known to be wrong many times before  Cheesy

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
gamfa
Vectorite

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2007, 05:29:48 pm »

Did a little looking with Google and everywhere I looked they gave it as "count=1 bs=512". I never tried it any other way.

GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2007, 05:55:04 pm »

I took Gamfa's and lagagnon's word for it and changed the command in the HowTo. I'll test it out soon and if I find it doesn't work for me, I'll change it back.
--GrannyGeek

bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2007, 05:04:54 am »

This example may help.

bs=1 count=100
reads/writes 100 times 1 byte, whereas
bs=100 count=1
reads/writes 1 time 100 bytes; the result is the same (but the latter is faster).

Bigpaws
« Last Edit: November 05, 2007, 05:07:59 am by bigpaws » Logged
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2007, 05:09:37 am »

Yes, that's what I meant earlier, sorry I was in a hurry then and sort of left it as homework for you guys and gals... Wink

Anyway, the difference is probably minuscule, but it's the principle of the thing... Grin

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: