VectorLinux
October 25, 2014, 04:14:29 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: open letter to Steve Ballmer: raw deal  (Read 4936 times)
carsten
Vectorite

I know why birds sing ...

« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2007, 11:14:05 am »

A tad harsh, don't you think?  It's only an operating system.

No!
But I did not mean Balmer to be executed in the first line but the Nigerian officials.
It is not "only an operating system", it is a matter of corruption and stealing resources from people living in poverty   and desperation. That Microsoft is trying in the name of the holy capitalism to make this deal is bad enough. But that the own representatives sell their people for a nummbered account in Zurich is treason.
In the good old days of the roman empire this was the only crime which gave reason to convict a roman citizen to death (saxum tarpeium, if you know a little bit history).
No mercy. If you dont have the time, dont do the crime!
Carsten

Tam exacte ut oportet, non ut licet!
tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2007, 01:16:54 pm »

But see, the Nigerian people wouldn't be living in poverty if the government could just get to the money hidden away by 48,217 former Finance Ministers.

"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2007, 01:54:11 pm »

Just as I was making an (albeit lame) joke on the infamous Nigerian 419 scam which GrannyGeek apparently interpreted as a conspiracy theory.

Actually, I wasn't thinking of the Nigerian scam at all. What I had in mind was what I read on CNet Talkback and similar boards whenever Linux seems to lose one. To some of those folks, the whole world is in a conspiracy against Linux. And they're serious about it.

If there's anyone I wouldn't want to be in the same room with besides Bush and Cheney, it's these Linux missionaries.
--GrannyGeek
« Last Edit: November 04, 2007, 01:56:11 pm by GrannyGeek » Logged

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2007, 02:03:22 pm »

GrannyGeek:  Yeah, I know there are some pretty wacky Linux people out there, who go on and on about it to people who don't want to hear it, though the idea that the whole world is in a conspiracy against Linux is just stupid.  Most of the world has now idea what Linux even is.  Heck, a lot of people I know don't even know what an operating system is.  Not long ago a young college guy was trying to ask me a computer question, so I needed to ask him what OS he used (I was thinking maybe Mac, since some other members of his family are Mac users).  His response:  Word.

"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2007, 02:55:54 pm »

GrannyGeek:  Yeah, I know there are some pretty wacky Linux people out there, who go on and on about it to people who don't want to hear it, though the idea that the whole world is in a conspiracy against Linux is just stupid.  Most of the world has now idea what Linux even is.  Heck, a lot of people I know don't even know what an operating system is.  Not long ago a young college guy was trying to ask me a computer question, so I needed to ask him what OS he used (I was thinking maybe Mac, since some other members of his family are Mac users).  His response:  Word.

I was going to say the exact same thing! I couldn't tell you how many people I've encountered in online user-to-user tech support who say their operating system is Word, or AOL.

For sure, the vast majority of "ordinary users" not only don't know what Linux is, they've never heard of it. It's not surprising because how would they hear of it? They don't see Linux computers for sale at Best Buy, they don't read articles about computers in print or online, they don't know anybody who uses anything but Windows, with maybe a Mac user here or there. They have enough trouble using what they use now and the thought of learning something new scares them.
--GrannyGeek

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
BlueMage
Vectorite

« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2007, 03:08:44 pm »

BlueMage:  I hear ya, it is hard sometimes to tell when people are joking over teh intertubes.  But really, nobody got my reference to the 419 scam?  I'm bummed.

Hey, wait a second ... are you making fun of my facial twitch!?!  Grin

Of course I am Cool I make fun of everyone's facial twitch, so much so that my girlfriend is worried I'm going to get punched in the face one day when she's not around Sad

Also, Carsten, I'm going to go out on a limb here and give Balmer some credit:  This is a brilliant marketing stunt for him.  It can let him come in and undercut a linux distribution on price, one of the main selling points having long been (for me at least - I'm a cheap bastard Cheesy ) that it's free, or at least far cheaper than the competition.

And it could've been worse - Jobs could've made them an offer Sad

Acer Laptop:  Vector 5.8 SOHO Final & Windows XP Professional & USB (still alive!)
Compaq POS (almost dead): Vector 5.9 Light Beta 5
Quad-core BEAST: Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit & Vector 5.9 64-bit beta-2
Old 500MHz media box:  Vector 5.8 SOHO Final (dead)
701 EeePC:  Puppeee (based on Puppy 4.01)
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2007, 04:17:14 pm »

I was going to say the exact same thing! I couldn't tell you how many people I've encountered in online user-to-user tech support who say their operating system is Word, or AOL

Recently at my wifes work they've been making a move away from actual paper paperwork.  So they gave a course to everyone on how to fill out their time sheets online, and how to fill out and email various reports.  Unfortunately many of those documents were created by MS Office, and many of the staff don't have nor can afford to by it. A large percentage of the employees work out in the field and don't have access to the office computers, so they are expected to use their own.

So I reviewed all the documents they would be dealing with and told my wife to turn everyone on to Openoffice.  My wife is a supervisor so she was telling her staff about it, she asked the person if she used Microsoft or something else.  My wifes boss (who is extremely educated) says to my wife. "Of course she has Microsoft, there isn't anything else". 

To my amazement, my wife promoted Linux, and also mentioned Macs.  Good girl.
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2007, 05:09:13 pm »

I'm going to go out on a limb here and give Balmer some credit:  This is a brilliant marketing stunt for him.  It can let him come in and undercut a linux distribution on price, one of the main selling points having long been (for me at least - I'm a cheap bastard Cheesy ) that it's free, or at least far cheaper than the competition.

That might be true if you go to the store tomorrow and find all the copies of Vista Ultimate marked down to $10. These one-off deals when Windows is threatened with the loss of a market are nothing new for Microsoft. Remember when you had to pay for Netscape? Microsoft saw an opportunity and got Internet Explorer to the state that it was a respectable alternative to Netscape and the price was right--free! Not long after that, Netscape was free, too, but at a decided disadvantage because the user had to find it, download it, and install it, whereas Internet Explorer was ready to go as soon as the user started Windows.

Microsoft has so much money that it can afford to undercut just about anything until its goal is achieved. This sometimes passes into illegality and sometimes is just bare-knuckle business. I can well understand why some people refuse to buy anything from Microsoft on principle. Whether one's own little refusal will actually do anything to damage Microsoft is another question. It probably doesn't unless enough people decide to "just say no." But it might make you feel good.<g>
--GrannyGeek

lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2007, 05:30:19 pm »

My wifes boss (who is extremely educated) says to my wife. "Of course she has Microsoft, there isn't anything else". 
Actually, the boss's education does appear to be lacking  Wink

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2007, 03:46:31 am »

Whether one's own little refusal will actually do anything

Yeah, it's kinda like voting.
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2007, 08:38:36 pm »

Whether one's own little refusal will actually do anything

Yeah, it's kinda like voting.

Not quite. Elections can be, and have been, decided by a single vote. A hugely successful product does not fall because one or 10 or 100 or 1000 people refuse to buy it. It's like spitting into the ocean, as the saying goes.

A massive boycott might do it. So get one started.
--GrannyGeek

Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2007, 01:44:17 am »

Yes, the lethargy of the masses is Windows biggest asset once the market is established.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: