VectorLinux
October 21, 2014, 01:18:29 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mouse search.  (Read 1595 times)
tncanuck

« on: November 01, 2007, 05:51:46 pm »

I am looking for a replacement mouse.  Grin

The current Microsoft Wheel mouse optical I am using is a quitter. It just quits, without warning, does not matter which PC I am using it on. It's like someone turned the light out, the pretty red glow goes away. Known issue from what I read online, they had a batch do that...

I am looking for an optical wheel mouse, corded. I am not into the high end stuff, but x-mas is coming...I am also strongly leaning towards Logitech, I've had very good luck with their optical products. Looks not important, it just needs to work.

What is the hot flavor of the day? Laser worth it? Any model worth recommending?

Thanks,

tncanuck

VL 6.0 Deluxe on Pentium III 866MHz, 512Mb RAM, nvidia GeForce2 GTS 32Mb AGP card, Creative Sound Blaster Live!
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2007, 06:08:59 pm »

Logitech is a good choice. I haven't kept up with the recent models, but I've had 2 of their better low-end rodents of a couple of years ago and have been generally very pleased with them.

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2007, 06:13:48 pm »

i have to agree with joe. Logitech is the safest way to go imo. i've been using those for a long time. Never had one fail

BlueMage
Vectorite

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2007, 03:33:48 am »

Logitech is a brilliant choice.  They are literally the market leaders in both mice and keyboards, and also sound systems as far as I can tell.  While you probably won't need a G5 or G9 (both top end gaming mice - I own a G5 and I love it) I can happily recommend the MX400.  It's corded, can handle surfaces optical can't (it's a laser mouse) and has the same sort of feet that the high-end ones do (teflon-coated I believe - works great on a mousepad or desk).

You will pay a little bit more for it, but the mouse is one of the most-used components of your machine, so you may as well spend a little bit extra and get the better-quality product.

Also, I know you might see stuff about SetPoint and such - ignore it, you don't need it to run the mouse (at least, I didn't for the G5)

Of course, if you're not interested in that, I'd still say stick with Logitech - I was able to pick up a great Logitech corded optical mouse for half price.  It works great on this box Smiley

Acer Laptop:  Vector 5.8 SOHO Final & Windows XP Professional & USB (still alive!)
Compaq POS (almost dead): Vector 5.9 Light Beta 5
Quad-core BEAST: Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit & Vector 5.9 64-bit beta-2
Old 500MHz media box:  Vector 5.8 SOHO Final (dead)
701 EeePC:  Puppeee (based on Puppy 4.01)
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2007, 08:31:23 am »

I'd also recommend Logitech. I've been using their Trackman Marble variants since the mid '90s.The best trackball I've ever used. I'm still using the first version I bought with a wheel. I think I bought it in 1997. Still totally reliable.

Its the best design trackball I've ever used, since it uses the thumb instead of the forefinger - much more precise for positioning the cursor.

paul.
Tigerwolf
Vectorite

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2007, 07:25:07 pm »

If you live near a Microcenter store, or don't mind ordering, they've had some optical wired mice on sale for $3.99.    They had PS2 or USB types for the same price.   These seem to go on sale quite often as teasers.  Regular price is usually around $5-6.

I bought a few to test with machines I use to set up Internet cafes at some conventions.  With 30 machines accessed by random public users to potentially equip, I didn't want anything expensive or that would tend to grow legs and walk off. 

So far, they seem fine.

Look here:

http://www.microcenter.com/search_results_e.phtml?dropdown_method=keyword&dropdown_keyword=optical+mouse&submit.x=0&submit.y=0

=^_^=  Tigerwolf

Running: Vector Linux 5.8 Standard   12-16-2006
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: