VectorLinux
November 21, 2014, 06:34:52 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mounting NTFS partition  (Read 2651 times)
Carlos_VL

« on: November 01, 2007, 09:33:48 pm »

This is something that I have had quite a bit of trouble with in VL (SOHO 5.8 Final), and has made me lose a few hairs and a few hours. After much trial and error and trawling through many internet pages I have finally worked out (from a brand new VL install):

To mount an NTFS partition:
use Gslapt to update everything (then restart computer)
download fuse 2.7.1 and ntfs-3g 1.10xx manually and compile (./configure, make and su make install) - Gslapt doesn't have the new versions...
then add to /etc/fstab:
    /dev/hdxx /mnt/hdxx ntfs-3g defaults,user,umask=0 0 0

where xx is the rest of the drive label (for example a1 for hda1)

This lets everyone read and write to the NTFS partition! I think perhaps the documentation should be updated, as it is both vague and didn't seem to work for me.

Cheers,
Carlos
KodeBlue

« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2007, 02:34:41 pm »

Isn't it supposed to be dangerous to update everything at once using Gslapt?  Which applications really need updated besides the fuse and ntfs-3g?  What about the "if it ain't broke, don't update it" philosphy?

I would like to be able to view my NTFS partition in Linux, but I don't want to cause myself all kinds of problems in the process.

Thanks,

Karen
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2007, 07:06:58 pm »

Agreed. General consensus is to avoid a system-wide upgrade.

Stock VL has all you need to view your NTFS partition. You can set that up using vasm.

For write access, you need ntfs-3g. Upgrading it is a good idea.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: