Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: Mounting NTFS partition  (Read 3300 times)

Mounting NTFS partition
« on: November 01, 2007, 10:33:48 pm »

This is something that I have had quite a bit of trouble with in VL (SOHO 5.8 Final), and has made me lose a few hairs and a few hours. After much trial and error and trawling through many internet pages I have finally worked out (from a brand new VL install):

To mount an NTFS partition:
use Gslapt to update everything (then restart computer)
download fuse 2.7.1 and ntfs-3g 1.10xx manually and compile (./configure, make and su make install) - Gslapt doesn't have the new versions...
then add to /etc/fstab:
    /dev/hdxx /mnt/hdxx ntfs-3g defaults,user,umask=0 0 0

where xx is the rest of the drive label (for example a1 for hda1)

This lets everyone read and write to the NTFS partition! I think perhaps the documentation should be updated, as it is both vague and didn't seem to work for me.

Re: Mounting NTFS partition
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2007, 02:34:41 pm »

Isn't it supposed to be dangerous to update everything at once using Gslapt?  Which applications really need updated besides the fuse and ntfs-3g?  What about the "if it ain't broke, don't update it" philosphy?

I would like to be able to view my NTFS partition in Linux, but I don't want to cause myself all kinds of problems in the process.

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
Re: Mounting NTFS partition
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2007, 07:06:58 pm »

Agreed. General consensus is to avoid a system-wide upgrade.

Stock VL has all you need to view your NTFS partition. You can set that up using vasm.

For write access, you need ntfs-3g. Upgrading it is a good idea.