VectorLinux
November 28, 2014, 12:16:01 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: Would like to set Vector up on a new Dell laptop. Any hardware / driver tips?  (Read 8893 times)
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2007, 04:14:43 pm »

granny & gwt,
If you dont mind testing more drivers these are supposed to work with the nvidia/sigmatel chipset and have reports of people with the same laptop model as granny's with working sound. Unfortunately I can only report what i read and pass on what they say works nothing for me to test with here.

you will want to uninstall all alsa packages from your system and move the lib/modules/2.6.22.10sm/kernel/sound/ folder somewhere safe while testing these packages:
http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/Uelsk8s/alsa-driver-1.0.15_2.6.22.10sm-i586-3vl59.tlz
http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/Uelsk8s/alsa-1.0.15-i586-1vl59.tlz

These packages are built for 5.9 and probably shouldn't be used on another VL version

Thanks,
Uelsk8s
gwt

« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2007, 12:05:12 pm »

VirtualBox works fine on XP. I liked VL 5.8 Standard in VirtualBox on Vista so well that I installed it on my XP desktop (3 gigs RAM, Athlon 64 X2 4200+). I do have a large Linux partition on that computer where VL works very well, but I like having the virtual machin, too. There are advantages to running Linux in a virtual machine under Windows (or vice versa) if you need to access something from the other operating system regularly. But there are disadvantages, too, such as weak (or no) USB support and the whole networking issue beyond the Shared Folder, which just applies to the host computer.

Like I said, I'll consider it but it isn't my first choice.  I don't want any RAM slowdown since that's primarily why I bought a new machine in the first place.

Vista is not as bad as people on some forums say. In fact, it's not bad at all if you have enough RAM and enough processor power. There is a large element of "geek-chic" at work, where the group-script takes over and people form opinions before they even try something, or have made up their minds to hate it and nothing will convince them otherwise.

I've used Vista many times on other people's machines including my dad's, so I have a good exposure as to how it works.  The learning curve for Linux (or Apple) is far greater for XP users than for people going from XP to Vista.  Underneath all that eye candy, Vista didn't seem terribly new to me.

What bothers me about it is it represents everything I can't stand about Microsoft.  Things like DRM, TPM and having to continually authenticate itself every few hours to Microsoft's servers to see if your legit or not.  I don't like the whole big brother "I don't trust you" premise and if Microsoft can't trust me to use their operating system, I really can't trust them to do the right thing other than price gouging the consumer.  And now with ugly reports of the next generation Windows 7 operating system being tied to a subscription service, that'll be the deal killer for me.  Which is also why I'm here...

My Vista laptop is speedy and stable and almost all the software I've installed has been compatible. Some of that software goes back to the very early 1990s (DOS and Win 3.1 software). I have four printers and they all have Vista drivers. One goes back to 1993 and one to 2000. I wouldn't spend money on a Vista upgrade for my XP desktop because Vista just doesn't have any features that feel compelling enough to warrant the expense and the bother; if I were an eye-candy junkie it would be different. But I wouldn't avoid a new computer with Vista already installed as long as it came with at least 2 gigs of RAM.
--Judy M.

XP will be sold until the middle of 2008, so Microsoft will support it for at least 10 years beyond that.  There's a lot of fear mongering out there that MS will drop the ball and kill support for XP next year, but that's not gonna happen.  Not when you have about 85% of the business and governmental desktops out there running XP and suddenly being left high & dry.  Hell, even extended support for Windows 2000 won't end until 2010.

You're right about upgrading, though.  There's just no compelling need to do so unless one wants to spend even more money on hardware upgrades.

Anyway, I will take the plunge this weekend and see what happens... 
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2007, 03:21:28 pm »

you will want to uninstall all alsa packages from your system and move the lib/modules/2.6.22.10sm/kernel/sound/ folder somewhere safe while testing these packages:
http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/Uelsk8s/alsa-driver-1.0.15_2.6.22.10sm-i586-3vl59.tlz
http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/Uelsk8s/alsa-1.0.15-i586-1vl59.tlz

I think I followed your directions exactly. First I removed through removepkg the three alsa* packages as listed in /var/log/packages. Then I moved /lib/modules/2.6.22.10sm/kernel/sound ro /usr/tmp. Then I unchecked the ALSA service through VASM. I rebooted and installed the two packages you posted.

Result: no sound modules are listed in lsmod. I tried to run alsamixer and got this:
alsamixer: function snd_ctl_open failed for default. No such device

There is no soundcore module loaded in lsmod. There is a new /lib/modules/2.6.22.10sm/kernel/sound/ folder which seems adequately populated, except that there is no soundcore.ko, but there is one in the old /lib/modules/2.6.22.10sm/kernel/sound/ folder.

So what more do I need to do? I'm very eager to see if this works.

Thanks so much for continuing to work on this! I have a very solid wireless connection with WPA now and if I get the sound going, everything will be perfect.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2007, 05:51:37 pm »

move the soundcore.ko from the old modules dir into the /lib/modules/2.6.22.10sm/kernel/sound/ folder
then run depmod -aq and reboot
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2007, 06:26:26 pm »

I HAVE SOUND!!!!!!!!!!

I did the final steps, rebooted, and now, at long last, sound is coming from the speakers.

No words can express how grateful I am for all your help, Uelsk8s. I am so happy to have a fully functioning VL on this computer. While running VL in a virtual machine under Vista has some good points, running pure Linux is better.

I hope none of this breaks in the rc.<g> I'm almost afraid to try it.
--GrannyGeek

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2007, 07:46:15 pm »

Very good news Granny.
We will do our best to get this working out of the box.

Thanks for helping me get this solved,
Uelsk8s
gwt

« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2007, 06:17:15 am »

I HAVE SOUND!!!!!!!!!!

I did the final steps, rebooted, and now, at long last, sound is coming from the speakers.

No words can express how grateful I am for all your help, Uelsk8s. I am so happy to have a fully functioning VL on this computer. While running VL in a virtual machine under Vista has some good points, running pure Linux is better.

I hope none of this breaks in the rc.<g> I'm almost afraid to try it.
--GrannyGeek

Congratulations, Granny!    Grin

I haven't had time this weekend to install it although I did download and burn an .iso of 5.8 SOHO.

Will these updates that uelsk8s described not work for it?  I really want a KDE (or Gnome) desktop.

Let me know how your hard partition install goes.  I'd be most curious if you run into anything. 

Btw, what laptop do you have?  Is it that different from mine?
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2007, 01:31:51 pm »

Will these updates that uelsk8s described not work for it?  I really want a KDE (or Gnome) desktop.

Several messages ago Uelsk8s said,"These packages are built for 5.9 and probably shouldn't be used on another VL version" You should probably check with him.

Btw, what laptop do you have?  Is it that different from mine?

I have a Gateway MT3423.

Remember I'm on 5.9 beta 2.4. If you have the same sound chip and same problem, you may want to wait until 5.9 Final is out. You can add KDE or Gnome to the Standard version. I expect that 5.9 SOHO will be out not too long after 5.9 Standard but that's just a guess.

Personally, I've never cared for KDE or Gnome as a desktop. I love XFce. Over the years, I've added whatever parts of KDE I've wanted, without changing my desktop environment, however. Thus, I add K3B, which doesn't require much from KDE. I might put in Amarok when 5.9 goes Gold.

I don't have any really old, low-RAM computers, so I'm not compelled to use VL Standard. However, what I like about Standard is that I can build the system I want.
--GrannyGeek

uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2007, 01:39:22 pm »

The packages might work in 5.8 you would need the kernel and the alsa packages. If it were my system I would try it but I dont feel like I should recommend trying it to someone else.

By the way kde-3.5.8 is already in the 5.9 repos
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: