VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: Cyrillic font strange rendering  (Read 3651 times)

shaulreznik

Cyrillic font strange rendering
« on: November 02, 2007, 04:53:12 am »

I've installed MS core fonts on my VL 5.8 computer. The new look is OK, except the very ugly rendering of Times New Roman font. Here is the screenshot:

What may cause the problem? DPI settings? libfreetype configuration?

exeterdad

• Packager
  • Vectorian
Re: Cyrillic font strange rendering
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2007, 01:53:31 pm »

LOL!  You're right, I can't even make it out!  Sorry bad joke. I can only read English.

shaulreznik

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2007, 10:01:54 am »

You don't need to read Russian, it's enough to look on the distorted letters.  :) VL vs. Ubuntu:

exeterdad

• Packager
  • Vectorian
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2007, 12:31:02 pm »

<--- Looks clear to me

<--- Looks fuzzy

But I can't tell distorted because I don't know what the characters are supposed to look like.  :)

JohnB316

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
  • Registered Linux User #386728
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2007, 09:28:59 am »

You may also want to try the liberation fonts, designed by Red Hat, which are supposed to be open-source replacements for the Microsoft core fonts. You can get them at https://www.redhat.com/promo/fonts. Here is a direct link to the download: https://www.redhat.com/f/fonts/liberation-fonts-ttf-3.tar.gz

Once you've downloaded the fonts, open a terminal and issue the following commands:
Code: [Select]
tar zxvf liberation-fonts-ttf-3.tar.gz
cd liberation-fonts-0.2
su (type root password at prompt)
cp *.ttf /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TTF
cd /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts
mkfontdir
mkfontscale
fc-cache -v
exit

The first command extracts the fonts from the tarball. The second command goes into the directory where the font files are. The su command enables you to become the root user, which you need to be for the next few commands. The cp command will copy all of the .ttf files into the place where TrueType fonts go. The cd command puts us into the fonts directory, which is where we need to be to run the next commands. The mkfontdir command regenerates the list of fonts. The mkfontscale command reads all of the scalable fonts and creates the appropriate file names for X to find them. The fc-cache command regenerates the font cache. The exit command gets us out of being root (exit again will get you out of the terminal).

For those who want to install the liberation fonts on a VL 5.9 box, the fonts should go into /usr/share/fonts/TTF.

FWIW, I like the liberation fonts very much. I know they still need a bit more work on them, but as long as they are good replacements for the MS fonts, I'm happy with that. ;-)

HTH some,
John
VL 6.0 SOHO latest alpha on one box, VL 5.9 Lite on the other.

shaulreznik

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2007, 04:27:03 pm »

I've upgraded freetype, and the rendering had improved.

Code: [Select]
slapt-get --install freetype