VectorLinux
April 19, 2014, 02:09:03 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hello to Everyone in the Vector Linux Community  (Read 1753 times)
Celtic Storm

« on: October 23, 2007, 11:32:14 pm »

Hi,

I am somewhat new to "real" Linux. I had a winspire/linspire, (after M$ sued them over the name) PC I bought, several years back. that Linux OS has the Click N' run library, that downloads & installs all your programs, so I orginally thought Linux was as easy as Windows, although much cheaper(I think the PIII 1Ghz, 256MB of Ram 40GB HDD tower cost me all of $299 in late 2000.
I bought it because my old Dell XPS(with a pentium 100Mhz cpu 4MB of RAM and 200MB hdd) was slowing down, when I upgraded from Win 3.1 to Win95.

I heard WinME was a mess, and someone told me I shold get a Wintergreen PC with Winspire. Great price, and it worked well.
until 3 months ago. I bought another Dell, this time a notebook(inspiron 6400) with XP Pro on it. I cna't believe how much money I spent on it, & all the apps I needed to protect it. Then a vulnerabilirty pops up & someone is trying to hack me...

JAY

nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2007, 04:28:33 am »

Welcome Celtic Storm.

Linspire has been met with mixed reactions, but it has introduced a lot of people to Linux.

You will find much of the same functionality of CnR in modern package managers like gslapt, which has made software management easier than in Windows.

Since your new laptop has Windows XP, it should be easy to make it dual boot with Linux Wink
larkl

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2007, 02:15:10 pm »

Welcome.  I hear you on the cost re Win.  I'm using a $73 PC (1 gig Pentium with 512M RAM) with Vector exclusively.  Try that with  Vista. 
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: