VectorLinux
September 21, 2014, 05:53:09 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New to Linux and Vector  (Read 2334 times)
KodeBlue

« on: November 03, 2007, 01:47:48 pm »

Hi all,

My name is Karen, and I recently bought a used laptop with WinXP installed.  In the interests of freedom and flexibility I decided that the time was ripe for me to set up a dual-boot system and learn Linux.  I had a friend install Ubuntu, and the installation took forever.  Since I was still using Windows for just about everything and I hadn't been working with Ubuntu, I forgot my root password.  Rather than trying to install Ubuntu all over again by myself, I decided to research various distros. 

I chose to install VectorLinux because I was intrigued by the idea of Slackware, but needed something more friendly to get started with.  Also, I wanted speed.  And a few applications I really wanted came with the 5.8 SOHO distro.  I downloaded it via a BitTorrent client with a dial-up connection, and it only took me five days!  (Which was a lot longer than it took Ubuntu to install, but not longer if you include the time it took for them to send me a CD.)

So I can be patient when I know what I want.  Now I am trying to get all my hardware working properly (most of it worked fine with the initial installation, which didn't take very long at all).  It is a learning experience, which is, of course, a lot of what I am looking for in Linux.  It's a little aggravating that a lot of my Windows computing experience doesn't help here.  But my end goal is to get so experienced with Linux that I won't feel that I need Window$ at all, and won't miss it when it's gone.  (When they discontinue support for XP, there's no way I'm "upgrading" to Vista!)

I've also noticed that Linux users tend to be very friendly and helpful.  I like that.  I hope that VectorLinux in particular will achieve more popularity and more community support instead of being a distro that hardly anyone has heard of.  Once I know my way around, I am sure that I will enjoy being able to help others.  'Till then, I will need some help myself!

Thanks for reading my introduction.

Happy Vectoring to All!

Karen

Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2007, 01:59:01 pm »

Hi Karen, and welcome aboard our Forum. Hope you like VL as much as I do (found it around VL 4.0 and stayed Wink ). Feel free to ask anything here if you get stuck, or just want to know more about something, we have a policy of "there are no dumb questions". Having said that, the Forum search can often save you a lot of time if the subject has come up before.

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
larkl

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2007, 02:12:31 pm »

Welcome.  Hope you enjoy Vector.  I've been using it exclusively for a couple of months and recently "gave" my XP computer to my spouse for her sewing room. 
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2007, 04:09:28 pm »

Welcome KodeBlue!

Ask your questions without worry.  We love to help people.  It also builds up a good reference for others to read that don't have the courage to ask questions.  In time you will be more comfortable with Linux, then you ever were with Windows.  You get what you get with Windows.  You get what you want with Linux. You have the control over the look, feel, size and so much more.

Now that you're here, we're not letting you leave  Grin
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2007, 06:09:29 pm »

Glad to have you here, Karen. I'm especially glad to have another female in the group. We are in the minority, though some of the screen names could have a woman behind them.

I love to hear how people found Linux and VL. I started with Linux out of curiosity and go back to VL 2.something. My early history with Linux was checkered, as I'd get fed up and wipe it out, only to return to the fold like a moth to the flame. Back then I used Linux on some very grim computers. I finally got rid of the clunkers and while my slowest computer (1.3 GHz, 1 gig RAM) is not a speed demon, it is adequate for XP and flies with VL. I suggest people put VL on their *best* computer, not on their slowest.

I've never had a goal of ditching Windows entirely and doubt I ever will. Some types of programs will never have good Linux versions, so I use whatever works best for what I want to do. But I spend most of my time in Linux. Linux and Linux programs have improved VASTLY over the years. And ease of use has taken great leaps forward.

Back around VL 4.something I lost interest in trying other distros, except for LiveCDs once in a while. VL has everything I want, I like everything about it, and the community is THE BEST.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2007, 07:40:24 pm »

Glad to have you here, Karen. I'm especially glad to have another female in the group. We are in the minority, though some of the screen names could have a woman behind them.

The statistics page reports a very poor, sad ratio, like 15 to one. Sad, Lucky me I have Vanesa and the little baby. I couldnĀ“t find a woman here Cheesy. Seriously, I don't know which is the cause of that. I hope this is the beginning of a change.

Karen, welcome to VL, looks like you have the spirit.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
Colonel Panic
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2007, 12:26:10 am »

Welcome to Vector and to our forum Karen!

I've been here about 18 months and most people who try Vector seem to stick with it. You won't find a more friendly helpful Linux user community than this one (though Puppy's good as well - ssshhhh mustn't mention the competition).
BlueMage
Vectorite

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2007, 02:57:20 pm »

Hi Karen, hope you enjoy your time here.

When they discontinue support for XP, there's no way I'm "upgrading" to Vista!

That's unfortunate - I won't go back to XP by choice now, having made the switch.

(Also, while my preference for Vector demands I stay silent, I've got "Australian-Made" advocates jumping on my back, so I must also recommend having a look in on Puppy)

Acer Laptop:  Vector 5.8 SOHO Final & Windows XP Professional & USB (still alive!)
Compaq POS (almost dead): Vector 5.9 Light Beta 5
Quad-core BEAST: Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit & Vector 5.9 64-bit beta-2
Old 500MHz media box:  Vector 5.8 SOHO Final (dead)
701 EeePC:  Puppeee (based on Puppy 4.01)
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2007, 10:39:37 am »

What GrannyGeek?  Is the burping, swearing and armpit noises finally getting to you?  Cheesy
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: