VectorLinux
April 16, 2014, 02:15:30 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Google steals Tigerden's VL OS!  (Read 2188 times)
Tigerwolf
Vectorite

« on: November 04, 2007, 04:25:24 pm »

Well, not really...but I ran across this article where Google's packaging a customized "gOS" distribution that is described as a "rather nice slim desktop Linux distribution that would be perfect for Internet cafes and other public places."

The full article is here:

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=902&num=1

We've been using VL for exactly that for years!

Vector plus XFCE's kiosk mode is perfect for the job.

Here's a typical installation.  Note that in addition to our own grey all-in-one machines, we usually provide a couple connections for users to hook in their own laptops.  There are more of the all-in-ones not seen in this picture.  They're around the corner at far end of the area and run a specialized 'registration user' screen that the convention uses for the front end to the registration system.

Here's some of our own screenshots:

1.  Guest user screen (the camera/screeshot icon not normally included on panel): 

2.  Guest user menu open, a game, pidgin, and XFCE media player:

3. Guest user menu with additional expansion, RipperX, Fox Calc, and a links text browser:

Of course there's also full Firefox, Opera, Seamoney, and Dillo, so using Google's web-apps is a breeze.

Maybe we need to pound on Google to use Vector Linux!
« Last Edit: November 04, 2007, 05:12:21 pm by Tigerwolf » Logged

=^_^=  Tigerwolf

Running: Vector Linux 5.8 Standard   12-16-2006
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2007, 04:35:51 pm »

That's a nice friendly looking setup you have there.  Seems perfect for a cafe.  Boy am I glad I patched Monsterz to exclude the use of the "F" word!
saulgoode
Vectorite

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2007, 05:19:38 pm »

Well, not really...but I ran across this article where Google's packaging a customized "gOS" distribution ...

Despite all of the Google apps and the googlepc.com domain name, I don't believe Google has any affiliation with the company producing gOS. (EDIT: From the Everex website, "Everex and its products, the gPC and gOS, are not affiliated with or sponsored by Google Inc.")

Your Tigerden is a very cool setup, though.

« Last Edit: November 04, 2007, 06:53:08 pm by saulgoode » Logged

A complex system that works is invariably found to have evolved from a simple system that works.
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2007, 05:39:14 pm »

Ah, but you missed the magic words:
" The gOS (GreenOS) is designed to be a conceptual Google Operating System that is based upon Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon."

Say "Ubuntu" and the general computer press will fall down in worship. Never mind that just about any current Linux distro could provide "easy access to Google services such as YouTube, Google Product Search, Google Calendar, and Google Maps. Also a click away are other web services such as Wikipedia and Facebook. This isn't a pure Internet desktop but Xine, Skype, OpenOffice.org, and other applications are available for this Linux LiveCD."

No, if it's Ubuntu, there has to be something special about it that elevates it above all other distros.  Or so we hear. Roll Eyes
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
saulgoode
Vectorite

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2007, 06:00:53 pm »

No, if it's Ubuntu, there has to be something special about it that elevates it above all other distros.  Or so we hear. Roll Eyes

That must be because Ubuntu is built upon the rock-solid foundation of Debian Unstable.   Undecided

A complex system that works is invariably found to have evolved from a simple system that works.
tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2007, 06:05:13 pm »

Wait a second ... Google is using ubububu?  That's kooky talk.  Maybe they should change their motto from "Don't Be Evil" to "We've Lost Our Minds."

"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2007, 04:08:45 am »

I read this a couple days ago.

I have not bashed Ubuntu because it usually works for those
who do not wish to make alot of changes.

Supporting Ubuntu is another story. I have tried Ubuntu once
or twice. After looking at it I tried to navigate the tool chains, let me
just say it was not pretty. Alot of the command line tools I use were not
available (Looked at Debian docs which showed the tools should work).

If the tools are moved it is harder to fix, and the root access not a good
thing in my mind.

Bigpaws
metvas
Vectorite

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2007, 11:16:12 am »

Hi All:
I have been busy with VL on the SQI front. One thing they have done absolutely right is GREEN their desktop. I believe I brought this up a few times. Now maybe a time to reflect on that idea. If we want to get noticed GREENING VL would be the one most important thing to do, IMHO.
Thoughts.
Regards
Darrell

Knowledge is Power, share it.
Be the change you want to see in the World
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: