VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: Drivers for Motorola SB5120 Surfboard Cable Modem  (Read 3307 times)

thekkk02

Drivers for Motorola SB5120 Surfboard Cable Modem
« on: November 04, 2007, 05:02:42 pm »

Does anyone know where I can find drivers for Motorola SB5120 Surfboard Cable Modem. My VL doesnt recognizes it through USB port and I dont have ethernet. Motorolas web site says that for Linux its only compatible with ethernet but there has to be a driver for it to work with USB port in Linux. Windows recoginzes it but VL doesnt. Can anyone help me out please?

uelsk8s

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
Re: Drivers for Motorola SB5120 Surfboard Cable Modem
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2007, 05:12:22 pm »

turn on your VL box
after you login
open a terminal as ROOT and type lsusb.
post the reply to that here 
and post also the last 10 lines of dmesg also

lagagnon

• Global Moderator
  • Vectorian
Re: Drivers for Motorola SB5120 Surfboard Cable Modem
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2007, 05:18:55 pm »

I have done a bit of googling around. That modem works fine connected to ehternet but it seems you might have problems with the USB side. You might want to try this:

http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Motorola-Surfboard-Modem/usb.html
(but its for the 4100-4200 modems so it may not apply)

I could find no evidence here: http://www.qbik.ch/usb/devices/showdevcat.php?id=14&o=140&w=t&s=v&d=a of the 5120 being shown to work with Linux via USB (but it definetely will with ethernet).

Keep googling, you might stumble on something I didn't. Your easiest route might be to get a $15 ethernet card and connect via that.
"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll