VectorLinux
October 23, 2014, 10:50:52 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [SOLVED] Video consternations  (Read 1484 times)
Stickman1000

« on: November 05, 2007, 09:27:43 am »

Hi, I posted this in the Portable section of this forum but there wasn't much in the way of assistance.  I hope I can get more here.

I have a Compaq 1700 Armada notebook. It is a 300Mhz with 160Meg ram. I have loaded 5.8 std-GOLD onto it.  I have a couple of issues that are preventing me from experiencing the full scope of pleasures that VL can provide.  The major one being that the amount of desktop is severely reduced from what it should be.  The notebook has a 13.3" screen but the used area is more like 10". the graphics hardware is as far as I can tell a C&T 68554 PCI with 16 bit colour support. It has 2 MB EDO ram.

Can anyone help me in expanding the viewable area of my notebook? I am relatively new to linux so if I need to do any compiling, the more detailed the better.

Thanks
Ed
« Last Edit: November 11, 2007, 08:16:24 am by JohnB316 » Logged
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2007, 11:35:48 am »

As root edit your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file. Where it says Driver, change it to "vesa" and where it says DefaultDepth change it to 16. Try that.

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
Stickman1000

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2007, 01:35:50 pm »

I see that there are different "Sections". I don't see any thing labeled "Driver" in either the Monitor section or the Display section. However there is a boolean variable labeled as an Option, called "FixPanelSize" in the Device section.  Is there anthing I can do with this guy to up the pixel count?

I changed DefaultDepth in the Screen section to 16 and rebooted.
Yipee. I now have use of the full screen. Thanks for your help lagagnon.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: