VectorLinux
October 01, 2014, 04:11:39 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: fstab cdrom entry  (Read 956 times)
reb
Vectorite

The BOSS

« on: November 06, 2007, 12:10:43 pm »

I've had my Linux box up and working for only about a week now so, I'm very new at this.  I'm not new at computers, just Linux. 

My system is as follows:

Victor Linus VL-330
80GB 7200RPM HDD
DVD+-RW 16X Dual-Layer
RAM: 1GB
Vector Linux 5.8 Delux  pre-installed

After finally finding my "fstab", I found these three lines pertaining to the cdrom:

#CDROM, CDWRITER, DVD
  /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom iso9960 users, noauto, ro
  /dev/cdwriter /mnt/cdwriter iso9660 defaults, noauto, ro, user  0  0

My question is:
Since I have only the one cd device, do these two unconemted lines pertain to the DVD as well?  If not, do I need to add another line to mount the DVD capabilities?  I know the cdrom is mounted and working.  I have not yet had the occasion to try the "writer or dvd" capabilities

thanks

reb

Ye Ole Montana Saddle Tramp
Nothing is right or wrong, good or bad, only thinking makes it so.  Think about it.
Running a Vector Linux VL3300 with 1 SATA 80GB HDD and 1GB DDR 400 ram, DVD+-RW , and VL 5.9 Delux
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2007, 12:23:05 pm »

if you only have one device it will mount using the mount /dev/cdrom . That will work for all types of mountable media. Keep in mind that you do not need to mount dvd movies or audio disks. You do not need to mount the media for burning either.

reb
Vectorite

The BOSS

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2007, 05:45:50 pm »

Thanks MOE, I really appreciate your help

reb

Ye Ole Montana Saddle Tramp
Nothing is right or wrong, good or bad, only thinking makes it so.  Think about it.
Running a Vector Linux VL3300 with 1 SATA 80GB HDD and 1GB DDR 400 ram, DVD+-RW , and VL 5.9 Delux
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: