VectorLinux
November 28, 2014, 07:33:17 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Im a Newbie! I really need help in some stuff!  (Read 3118 times)
thekkk02

« on: November 05, 2007, 12:01:08 pm »

Hi! Im kind of new to Linux and I would like to ask you guys some few questions...

1.) I downloaded some installation programs in .tzr.gz format. How can I install them? I have heard of some .configure or . make or something similar taht you write in the console, but I dont really know how to do it or what to write. For example I want to install Firefox and I have the file firefox-2.0.0.9.tar.gz ... what exactly do I have to do or write in the console to install it?

2.) I have a 1024x768 resolution in my VL which is good... but I would like better a 1152x864 resolution. How can I add it? I know you have to configure your xorg.conf and in your section Screen add the resolution... I did it but it didnt work. I still cant change the resolution. The new resolution doesnt appear in the Configure - Kdesktop part where you change the resolutions. I have 61 Hz. And I think I should be able to change it because in Windows I have a 1152x864 resolution, but not in VL. Here's an example of what I did in my xorg.conf ...

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device     "Card0"
Monitor    "Monitor0"
DefaultDepth 16
SubSection "Display"
Viewport   0 0
Depth     1
Modes "1152x864" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"       <-- I added the 1152x864 resolution. It was not there
EndSubSection                                                                            before. I added it to all the continuing lines as well
SubSection "Display"
Viewport   0 0
Depth     4
Modes "1152x864" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Viewport   0 0
Depth     8
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Viewport   0 0
Depth     15
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Viewport   0 0
Depth     16
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Viewport   0 0
Depth     24
EndSubSection
EndSection

Can you help me out telling me how to change the resolution?

3.) Ive heard of a driver that you install and then you can see the files you have in Windows from Linux. Can that be done and how can I do it? (I know Ubuntu does that, Ive seen it)

4.) Why does this happen? I put a CD in VL and then when I eject it and then want to see the CD again or any other cd, VL doesnt read it anymore? What happens?

5.) And finally... (this is just stuff I want for more comfort) how can I change the hour from 24 hour format to 12 hour format? and how do I do to make the NumLock (BloqNum) light turn on automatically when I start VL.

I know its a lot of questions, but since Im new at Linux and want to totally leave Windows, I want to learn and know all this stuff. I do really need your help, pals! Thanks a lot! Greetings from Honduras, Central America!  Wink
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2007, 12:22:48 pm »

That is a lot of questions for one post...

I might suggest breaking it down to several posts in the appropriate parts of the forums that way you tackle them one at a time, and we (the community) have a better idea of the progress you're having on it.

For starters, I can answer one question for you... The first one.

Vl ships with what we call a 'package manager' it is called GSlapt. You may have seen a Desktop icon or a menu entry with that name (in the Main menu, under System).

You can use that application to install packages. Packages are ready-made binary packages that will run on your VL install. No need for you to run the configure, make and isntall process, someone has already done it... you just need to install the binaries.

Use the Gslapt tool to search for and install the applications that you need.

When you open it up, click the "Update" button. Then in the search bar type the name of the application you're looking for. When it comes up, select it, and click install.

That will give you a sane install, and wont break your system.

HTH

thekkk02

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2007, 12:41:38 pm »

That is a lot of questions for one post...

I might suggest breaking it down to several posts in the appropriate parts of the forums that way you tackle them one at a time, and we (the community) have a better idea of the progress you're having on it.

For starters, I can answer one question for you... The first one.

Vl ships with what we call a 'package manager' it is called GSlapt. You may have seen a Desktop icon or a menu entry with that name (in the Main menu, under System).

You can use that application to install packages. Packages are ready-made binary packages that will run on your VL install. No need for you to run the configure, make and isntall process, someone has already done it... you just need to install the binaries.

Use the Gslapt tool to search for and install the applications that you need.

When you open it up, click the "Update" button. Then in the search bar type the name of the application you're looking for. When it comes up, select it, and click install.

That will give you a sane install, and wont break your system.

HTH

Thank you! I will consider your advise of breaking down the questions. ok now I am in Gslapt and it does look for the programs I want but for example Im looking for Mozilla Firefox and it shows me that I can install version 2.0.0.6 but I want version 2.0.0.9 that I just downloaded in .tar.gz  ... also I want to install Skype and it doesnt show it up in Gslapt, so I think that ill be obliged to install it the other way I think. What do you think I should do?
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2007, 12:49:48 pm »

That Firefox you downloaded.  It's not really meant to install.  Basically it's a "zip" file with Firefox and needed files included.  You can run it from the folder thats created when you decompress it.

Not sure what version of VL you are using, nor what desktop you are using.  But chances are, you simply right click on the firefox file you downloaded and select "decompress, or extract here"  <----- or something like that.  You will see a new folder. Enter the folder and double click on Firefox and it will run.

In the next couple days, maybe tommorow.  I will have the new Firefox packaged that you may install via getslapt or slapt-get.  If you would rather wait.
thekkk02

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2007, 12:55:51 pm »

That Firefox you downloaded.  It's not really meant to install.  Basically it's a "zip" file with Firefox and needed files included.  You can run it from the folder thats created when you decompress it.

Not sure what version of VL you are using, nor what desktop you are using.  But chances are, you simply right click on the firefox file you downloaded and select "decompress, or extract here"  <----- or something like that.  You will see a new folder. Enter the folder and double click on Firefox and it will run.

In the next couple days, maybe tommorow.  I will have the new Firefox packaged that you may install via getslapt or slapt-get.  If you would rather wait.

ok ill wait... tell me when you get it and how you got it so i can do it in the future. thx! Anyone can help me out with the other questions... especially the one with the resolution! Tongue please.
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2007, 12:57:02 pm »

Another way to extract it would be to open a Terminal, console, Konsole, xterm or whatever you have on your system and enter this:
tar -zxvf firefox-2.0.0.9.tar.gz
You will see a lot of action going on as files are decompressed.  Note ***  That command in particular will have to executed in the same directory as the file is located. 
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2007, 01:06:20 pm »

After rereading your post I believe you are using SOHO.  All your problems can be solved fairly easily with the included tools.  I can't tell you what to do exactly since I am not running that version.  I'm a bit nervous telling you how to do it the hard way.  Hopefully someone else will be along shortly  Wink

But please add more information about your computer, and what version of VL you installed.  It will take a lot of guesswork out of fixing your problems.
thekkk02

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2007, 02:02:54 pm »

After rereading your post I believe you are using SOHO.  All your problems can be solved fairly easily with the included tools.  I can't tell you what to do exactly since I am not running that version.  I'm a bit nervous telling you how to do it the hard way.  Hopefully someone else will be along shortly  Wink

But please add more information about your computer, and what version of VL you installed.  It will take a lot of guesswork out of fixing your problems.

Ok... I use Vector Linux 5.8 SOHO RC3...
thekkk02

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2007, 02:11:29 pm »

Does anyone can help me out also with the other questions...Huh  Huh
kidd
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2007, 02:33:27 pm »

Hi.
You can install programs with diferent methods:

1) install binary packages

Download the file (usually programname-version.bin).
as root, just do sh programname-version.bin   
Theese programs usually are guided installations.  Ati drivers are like this.

2) install from repositories using slapt-get  or gslapt.

gslapt is slapt-get graphic version, so it's more newbie-friendly Wink
just click update to get the lastest package list, select the program you wanna install, and click Apply.

3) compile and install from source.

You got a file called programname-version.tar.gz (or tar.bz2)
   unpack the file with

Code:
tar zxvf programname-version.tar.gz
   or

Code:
tar xjvf programname-version.tar.bz2

cd to the directory:

Code:
cd programname

execute ./configure script and pray

Code:
./configure

compile and pray

Code:
make

install as root

Code:
make install
(remember, you have to be root)

It's a veeery small tutorial, but I hope this helps you (at least to have some pointers to search Wink

Ciao

InTheWoods
Vectorite

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2007, 06:31:34 pm »

3.) Ive heard of a driver that you install and then you can see the files you have in Windows from Linux. Can that be done and how can I do it? (I know Ubuntu does that, Ive seen it)

No need to install anything!

Open /etc/fstab
find the section that looks like this

Code:
# Shared Windows/Linux partition
#/dev/hda1 /mnt/dos msdos umask=0 0 0
#/dev/hda1 /mnt/win vfat fmask=111,dmask=0,quiet,shortname=mixed,user 0 0
#/dev/hda1 /mnt/win ntfs umask=0 0 0

If your Windows partition is on a dos partition (not likely) uncomment this line by removing the #
Code:
/dev/hda1 /mnt/dos msdos umask=0 0 0

replace the "a" in hda1 with the hard drive letter your windows partition is on.
"a" for the first hard drive, "b" for the second hard drive, "c" for the third and so on.

now replace the "1" with the partition on the proper hard drive with the proper letter. "1" for the first partition "2" for the second and so on.

if your windows partition were the second partition on the third hard drive you would use this:
Code:
/dev/hd2 /mnt/dos msdos umask=0 0 0

chances are however that you have your windows installation on the first partition of a single drive and it is formatted as ntfs. So all you would have to do is uncomment the line
Code:
/dev/hda1 /mnt/win ntfs umask=0 0 0

CAUTION:
  This has to be done as root! make a copy of your fstab!

when you reboot your windows partition should be available through
/mnt/win

although you may have to access it as root. I forget!

Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2007, 07:03:19 pm »

http://www.vectorlinux.com/forum2/index.php?topic=3127.0

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2007, 08:27:13 pm »

http://www.vectorlinux.com/forum2/index.php?topic=3573.msg22909;topicseen#msg22909

Bigpaws
thekkk02

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2007, 07:13:02 pm »

Thx for all the help... but can anyone help me out telling me how to change the resolution? I explain my problem in the beginning of the post... Thx!
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2007, 07:18:45 pm »

Thx for all the help... but can anyone help me out telling me how to change the resolution? I explain my problem in the beginning of the post... Thx!
You might possibly need to set the correct Horizontal and Vertical Sync rates for your monitor (find that information in the monitor manual). Here is an example stanza from /etc/X11/xorg.conf:

Section "Monitor"
Identifier   "Monitor0"
VendorName   "Hansol"
ModelName    "H950"
HorizSync 30-81
VertRefresh 56-77
Option "DPMS"
EndSection

The other thing I notice is that you have your default colour depth set to 16. You can probably get 24 if you have a modern video card. So set the line "DefaultDepth  24". What is your video card by the way?

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: