VectorLinux
August 27, 2014, 11:05:56 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: If Vector does not have a package I want, can I install Slackware package ?  (Read 1629 times)
brjoon1021

« on: November 09, 2007, 12:39:29 pm »

Hi,

I am really getting at just how slackware compatible Vector is. I am looking for a Slackware compatible distro (not smart enough or courageous enough to run Slackware itself) that I can use Slackware packages on if not available through the distros repositories. I want KDE, too.

I tried Absolute Linux, but I don't like light window managers and I don't like Lilo
Zenwalk is not Slack compatible anymore, if I understand it correctly. Not wild about XFCE but it is OK
Wolvix killed my MBR about three times in a row, maybe later.
Goblinx killed my MBR last time around.

I like Vector standard, I used it way back at around 3.2 or so and I recently installed the 5.9 RC or beta. I really prefer KDE to XFCE by leaps and bounds so I am waiting for the KDE version - SOHO - but the Slackware compatability question is my last hurdle, so to speak.

Thanks,
b
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2007, 01:30:06 pm »

yes, but you should use the same slackware versions as the VL version you are using was based on.
type "cat /etc/slackware-version" to be certain.

HTH,
Uelsk8s
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2007, 05:09:19 pm »

... so I am waiting for the KDE version - SOHO

VL SOHO 5.8 SOHO is available and is only about 5 months old so why not load it instead of waiting for 5.9 SOHO???

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
brjoon1021

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2007, 07:37:21 pm »

Would 5.8 SOHO be upgradeable to 5.9 SOHO by using the package manager (assuming a separate /home partiton) ? Also, regarding the first reply, isn't 5.8 SOHO based on Slackware 11 ?

Thanks,

B.
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2007, 08:00:13 pm »

Would 5.8 SOHO be upgradeable to 5.9 SOHO by using the package manager (assuming a separate /home partiton) ?

I think the answer is no. There is a hole new toolchain, probaly slapt-get would need to download the full iso anyway. You can keep your home partition, though. You should just reinstall and mount your old /home partition. I think is not a big deal, the install should be really easy in general.

Also, regarding the first reply, isn't 5.8 SOHO based on Slackware 11 ?

Thanks,

B.

Yes, you can use the Slackware 11 packages on 5.8 releases.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2007, 08:03:19 pm by rbistolfi » Logged

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
desmogiallo

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2007, 11:18:12 pm »

and if you want to keep your installed apps, keep both /home and /usr on a different partition. So if you re-install Vector, you don't have to re-install every package..
The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2007, 03:15:14 am »

There are KDE packages available in the "testing" repository for VL 5.9.

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2007, 07:32:15 am »

and if you want to keep your installed apps, keep both /home and /usr on a different partition. So if you re-install Vector, you don't have to re-install every package..
Well, with the drastic toolchain upgrade, you'd mostly be getting segfaults, unless they are python, perl or gambas apps (basically anything interpreted).

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: