VectorLinux
October 25, 2014, 05:37:44 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8
  Print  
Author Topic: VectorLinux5.9-rc-1 bugs, suggestions and discussion  (Read 27700 times)
Lyn
Vectorian

« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2007, 05:36:30 am »

Stylistically if you have more than one user other than yourself and root you have to scroll to get to it, the space for users on the log on screen should be bigger.
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2007, 07:43:38 am »

Clicking on Audio CD icon I get error: unable to mount Audio CD.
One cannot mount an audio CD as they do not contain a filesystem. The only thing you can do with an audio CD is play it with appropriate software or rip it with (eg) RipperX.
After that the CD icon follow the mouse and will land where ever the mouse is clicked again.
I have noticed that problem also - in a different situation. This effect does appear to be an X or xfce bug.

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
hpearlman

« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2007, 09:26:27 am »

Hate the opera fonts.  Love the fact that everything works - including sound, streaming youtube, and internet connection (the previous releases did not automatically connect to the internet.

I do believe it is about ready (please fix the opera fonts if you can,  Thanks).
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2007, 11:04:59 am »

Hate the opera fonts
A generic fix for this can be found in my previous post above. Or you can add that line to your ~/.opera/opera6rc file.

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
MikeCindi
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2007, 02:03:26 pm »

Overall rc1 performs as expected on my laptop. Other than a few things mentioned by others I've noticed that gslapt has trouble installing files when there are more than 4 or 5 in the queue. Still haven't gotten TuxOnIce to work but I will probably start from scratch and rebuild the kernel this weekend.

I applaud and really appreciate the VL developers (all three of them) for producing such a great distro and the VL community for making this the friendliest distro I've experienced or looked at.

The plans of the diligent lead to profit...Pro. 21:5
VL64 7.1b3                                     RLU 486143
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2007, 05:07:21 pm »

Clicking on Audio CD icon I get error: unable to mount Audio CD.
One cannot mount an audio CD as they do not contain a filesystem. The only thing you can do with an audio CD is play it with appropriate software or rip it with (eg) RipperX.

I am aware of that, however, I thought clicking on the CD icon will start the audio CD to play.
That audacious player will not play an audio CD unlike xmms in VL5.8 where after the CD has been inserted clicking on play on xmms will start the CD playing.
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2007, 05:49:18 pm »

~:$ frozen-bubble

Can't locate SDL.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.8/i486-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.8 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/i486-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl .) at /usr/bin/frozen-bubble line 56.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/bin/frozen-bubble line 56.

I uninstalled, reinstalled, same, same.

How to resolve?
Masta
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2007, 07:03:37 pm »

Stylistically if you have more than one user other than yourself and root you have to scroll to get to it, the space for users on the log on screen should be bigger.

I agree and took note to adjust it. The only thing that makes me wonder is, just how many should be viewable at once, before the scrolling takes place... how about 4, if they'll fit above the buttons?
MikeCindi
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2007, 07:40:00 pm »

The only thing that makes me wonder is, just how many should be viewable at once, before the scrolling takes place... how about 4, if they'll fit above the buttons?

Won't this be dependant on the screen resolution of each particular PC? Anyway 4 or 5 would be nice although I use 6 on the family desktop.

The plans of the diligent lead to profit...Pro. 21:5
VL64 7.1b3                                     RLU 486143
Dweeberkitty
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2007, 10:17:38 pm »

I agree and took note to adjust it. The only thing that makes me wonder is, just how many should be viewable at once, before the scrolling takes place... how about 4, if they'll fit above the buttons?

I hate to say it. But I think that Microsoft actually did something right in this respect. Take a look at the WinXP login screen. There is plenty of room for quite a few users without the need to scroll. If possible, it should be designed to make it so that almost no one has to scroll except for the few odd people that have a ton of users.

Registered Linux User #443399
Desktop: Intel Pentium D 3.33Ghz, 320GB hard drive, 2 gigs DDR2 533mhz RAM, NVIDIA Geforce 7800 GS, X2GEN 22" widescreen monitor;
Laptop: Dell Mini 9, Intel Atom 1.6Ghz, 1GB ram
Multimedia Bonus Disc website: http://www.vectorlinuxsolutions.com/
martinwprior

« Reply #40 on: November 11, 2007, 05:06:02 am »

I had 5.8 with no probs, then put 5.9 Beta 1 and 2 with no problems.

I installed 5.9 Release 1. Normally no problems but when I listen to the BBC via Opera and Real Player. I get network hang-up.

I tried to bring up wifiradar to look the network, but when asked for root password. The input screen will not accept my input (ie input is not echoed to the screen).

I re-start the system, but is hangs and does not complete shut down.

Sorry cannot be more specific, but these probs did not happen with the previous releases.

regards,

Maretin Prior
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #41 on: November 11, 2007, 08:29:49 am »

... but when I listen to the BBC via Opera and Real Player. I get network hang-up.
Opera has always had a problem with streaming multimedia, especially using MPlayer. I posted a solution to this forum about 6 months ago:
http://www.vectorlinux.com/forum2/index.php?topic=2517.0 . The other option is to visit the Opera forums as there are some solutions posted there.
I re-start the system, but is hangs and does not complete shut down.
Does that happen every time or only when you use wifi-radar? Do you mean the machine never turns itself off after the "System will Shutdown" message?

JohnB316
Administrator
Vectorian

Registered Linux User #386728

« Reply #42 on: November 11, 2007, 09:35:57 am »

---snip---
2) Opera Browser fonts are terrible: this is a known issue in Linux. There is a fix: edit /etc/opera6rc and add "Enable Core X Font=0" to bottom of [User Prefs] stanza.

Thanks. Didn't know that. I'll have to try it. Certainly, fonts in Opera are awful on my system as well.

Since VL repackages the dynamic Qt version of Opera, you should be able to tweak font-related stuff by running qtconfig. At least I was able to do so. Now if anybody uses a statically-linked verion of Opera, then maybe the "Enable Core X-Font" fix would work there.

---snip---

FWIW,
John

VL 6.0 SOHO latest alpha on one box, VL 5.9 Lite on the other.
Masta
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #43 on: November 11, 2007, 08:14:32 pm »

The only thing that makes me wonder is, just how many should be viewable at once, before the scrolling takes place... how about 4, if they'll fit above the buttons?

Won't this be dependant on the screen resolution of each particular PC? Anyway 4 or 5 would be nice although I use 6 on the family desktop.

It "should" scale according to resolution, but I think we can safely go with 4 on the current theme.

I hate to say it. But I think that Microsoft actually did something right in this respect. Take a look at the WinXP login screen. There is plenty of room for quite a few users without the need to scroll. If possible, it should be designed to make it so that almost no one has to scroll except for the few odd people that have a ton of users.

I think there's a plan to have other alternative themes in the repository, at some point. That's the plan anyway  Smiley ,
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #44 on: November 12, 2007, 04:28:14 am »

There is still a problem with the mount applet in VASM. When I attempt to use it to create a mount for /dev/hda1, the first stage correctly identifies the partition as HPFS/NTFS (its NTFS). However, after selecting the mount point, VASM identifies the partition as XFS, and will make the fstab entry on that basis. Which doesn't work very well, naturally...

I also notice that it gives me the option of mounting /dev/had3, which is the extended partition, which is, after all, only a container for logical partitions.

While its not really a bug, it would be useful if there were two options on the VASM sub-menus - one to go back to the previous menu, and one to exit VASM. It can be annoying having to step back through several levels of menu to exit.

paul.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8
  Print  

Jump to: