Author Topic: VectorLinux5.9-rc-1 bugs, suggestions and discussion  (Read 50324 times)

toothandnail

• Tester
  • Vectorian
Re: VectorLinux5.9-rc-1 bugs, suggestions and discussion
« Reply #45 on: November 12, 2007, 04:47:58 am »
I'm still having massive problems with Gslapt. Anytime I try to upgrade or install more than one item, it locks up and has to be killed.

It seems to work ok if I search for an individual file and install it, but multiples and doing anything like 'Mark all upgrades' followed by 'execute' will fail every time.

paul.

martinwprior

« Reply #46 on: November 12, 2007, 03:31:00 pm »
Re: response from lagagnon

I have installed the new kernel and am pleased to say my previous problem has disappeared.

I use Opera with Realplayer with various flavours of Linux and have no real problem. With RealPlayer I have more control over the stream, for example pause the stream. Mplayer will not recommence after a pause. I primarily listen to BBC 7. I am an aging expat now living in Malaysia.

Regards,

Martin Prior

nubcnubdo

• Vectorian
« Reply #47 on: November 12, 2007, 08:47:50 pm »
I had a problem with the video driver installation. I purposefully accepted defaults all the way through the install, which went well. That is, until the video card was configured with Nvidia Legacy drivers, which failed. What I would suggest here is that upon failing to install correct drivers, the program cycle back through the video card config, in which case I would have selected nv drivers and been done with it. Now I have a troublesome resolution on desktop, and I must presumably reconfigure with VASM. Easy enough for an experienced user to fix, but probably a show-stopper for a noob. The install program's advice to check out the nvidia site for drivers strikes me as a mild variation of RTFM. At no point in the installation process should VectorLinux throw up it's hands and say, go look for it yourself. VL should be with the user, for better or worse, all the way. For another thing, I probably won't write down the URLs while I'm installing VL. It might be better to automatically use a generic video driver if the vid configuration fails, something like safe mode (see Ubuntu 7.10), which being of an inferior quality would obviously signify that the installation of video drivers failed. I read all that mess about my card not being covered by Nvidia Legacy drivers, but what's this, I get to Desktop, not a TUI prompt. So I have a problem with not knowing exactly where I stand once I get to Desktop. What am I looking at now, if Nvidia Legacy drivers failed? Has anyone done a count of which video driver is more commonly used for a VL install? Maybe the default selection should be nv, not Nvidia Legacy.

When I call Mozilla Firefox from the panel icon, I get an error message: "Failed to execute default Web Browser - Input/output error." However, FF comes up normally.

My preferred desktop wallpaper Big_Blue_Vec -1 still has version number "5.8" prominently displayed.

Subjective observation: The resolution 1024x768 looks more like 1280x1024. I feel like the fonts are too small. I will have to look at another install of VL and verify this. I hope I'm wrong. Changed hdd: I'm looking at the same nominal resolution (1024x768) on this computer using LinuxMint Xfce CE, and the fonts are decidedly larger and more legible. Houston, we got a problem.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2007, 09:50:09 pm by nubcnubdo »

GrannyGeek

• Packager
  • Vectorian
« Reply #48 on: November 12, 2007, 10:44:32 pm »
I installed 5.9 rc1 on a Toshiba Celeron Mobile 2GHz with 512 megs of RAM. Everything has gone well so far, except I noticed there was no entry for the CDROM drive in /etc/fstab. I think I remember someone else mentioning the same problem. The rest has been okay; sound works out of the box, correct Intel video identified, wired network fine. I set up an nfs network with my other Linux computers and it took some troubleshooting; the "trouble" was operator error (I had a wrong entry in /etc/hosts).

I thought this computer was in its death throes because it couldn't get past POST. In a last-ditch attempt to revive it before I relegated it to recycling, I removed a RAM stick I had added and replaced it with the original RAM stick in it when I got it. What do you know--IT'S ALIVE!! I lost 256 megs in the process, but the computer is working well. The bad stick was Kingston's top-drawer RAM and it has a lifetime warranty, so I expect they'll replace it.
--GrannyGeek
Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller

uelsk8s

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #49 on: November 12, 2007, 10:49:02 pm »
nubcnubdo,
what video card do you have?
do you know why the nvidia driver install failed?

Thanks,
Uelsk8s

nubcnubdo

• Vectorian
« Reply #50 on: November 13, 2007, 12:18:18 am »
uelsk8s,
I regret that I cannot provide card identity with certainty until tomorrow. It is either RIVA, TNT2, or VANTA. Let me clarify my previous post that the questionable resolution was experienced using the nv driver, configured with VASM from TUI. The original, failed Nvidia Legacy driver would not allow changing the resolution at all. On the other hand, with the nv driver selected, I changed the resolution back and forth between 1024x768 and 800x600, and this is how I got the distinct impression that 1024x768 was too small, more like 1280x[something]. I will follow up tomorrow.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2007, 12:28:50 am by nubcnubdo »

Witek Mozga

• Vectorite
    • Witek Mozga`s Webpages
« Reply #51 on: November 13, 2007, 04:33:57 am »
Instalation:
I installed on my Asus A9RP laptop and tried to compile fglrx ATi driver during installation. This caused screen to become black with vertical some lines on it. I rebooted and tried once again (I kept fglrx driver) only to obtain the same situation: black screen with vertical lines. I rebooted once again and got into the system, however the installation process was not complete (pass for root was unset and no new user was added). I`m testing as root then as I`m too lazy to add a new user  ;)

Testing:
Strangely, fglrx driver seems to be working right in spite of what I wrote above.
I wanted to check if bugs I reported before for Beta were fixed. Most important thing was zd1211rw wireless driver. It worked with latest beta when firmware was upgraded. Unfortunately it won`t work for RC1  :-[ when run from root account. I noticed there is somethings wrong with vasm and wireless network. I tried to change connection settings but vasm failed to update the config files. when I changed the permission of files in /etc/wireless/ from 600 to 777 vasm was finally able to store settings but something is evidently wrong here. Anyway wifi is not working when run from superuser account. Don`t know why. When I finally added a new user and tested wifi from his account - it worked!

« Last Edit: November 13, 2007, 02:04:33 pm by wm »

Witek Mozga

• Vectorite
    • Witek Mozga`s Webpages
« Reply #52 on: November 13, 2007, 06:36:18 am »
Additional sugestions:

1. I am accustomed that F10 key closes midnight commander. Unfortunately here it activates a menu, which is a bit frustrating. This is my opinion however.

2. I suggested that zip, tar.gz and other archieves should be opened with xarchiever when clicked on them. If there is only one gui application for such files it should be connected to them by default in my opinion. If there were many, the choice might be left to the user.

toothandnail

• Tester
  • Vectorian
« Reply #53 on: November 13, 2007, 07:36:51 am »
Additional sugestions:

1. I am accustomed that F10 key closes midnight commander. Unfortunately here it activates a menu, which is a bit frustrating. This is my opinion however.

In terminal, if you turn off the menubar, F10 will go back to doing what you expect. Or, don't use terminal for MC. I create a program object for MC, but run it in Aterm, which has much lower requirements and is all I need for something like Aterm.  I also turn of the menu bar in the Xfce terminal anyway - I like the maximum working area in a terminal and never could see the need for a menu bar in one.

paul.

toothandnail

• Tester
  • Vectorian
« Reply #54 on: November 13, 2007, 08:36:58 am »
Not directly RC1, but I've hit a problem with one of the applications - Adobe Reader 8. When started it comes up with the following error popup:

Code: [Select]
Unable to find the HTML rendering library
(libgtkemberdmoz). Please specify the folder location in
Edit->Preferences->Internet

Its help also fails with the same error.

paul.

uelsk8s

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #55 on: November 13, 2007, 08:46:10 am »
Not directly RC1, but I've hit a problem with one of the applications - Adobe Reader 8. When started it comes up with the following error popup:

paul.
I thought we had that fixed.
It looks for the lib in /opt/seamonkey
works here anyway.

lagagnon

• Global Moderator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #56 on: November 13, 2007, 08:52:38 am »
ToothandNail: have you done any mark all upgrades, execute with gslapt on RC1? Because if you have, then your bug reports may no longer valid. Do you have a clean RC1 on that machine? I have no problems with Acrobat here.
"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll

lagagnon

• Global Moderator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #57 on: November 13, 2007, 08:58:37 am »
... The bad stick was Kingston's top-drawer RAM and it has a lifetime warranty, so I expect they'll replace it.
Ground your fingers to a suitable ground point to discharge any static from your body. Then take a pink eraser and rub the contacts on both sides of the stick then clean the contacts off with rubbing alcohol. Press the memory chips firmly onto the circuit board with your fingers (this sometimes solves chip creap problems). Reseat the RAM module carefiully and make sure both sides of the module housing on the motherboard click firmly home and that the side brackets are fully vertical.

This works for me in about 60% of RAM module problems.
"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll

lagagnon

• Global Moderator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #58 on: November 13, 2007, 09:00:20 am »
...That is, until the video card was configured with Nvidia Legacy drivers, which failed.
When you installed VL did you make sure the box for Kernel sources was checked and installed? If not, driver installation will definetely fail.

Joe1962

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
    • Joe1962's Website
« Reply #59 on: November 13, 2007, 09:55:41 am »

paul.
I thought we had that fixed.
It looks for the lib in /opt/seamonkey
works here anyway.

I can confirm the problem, but it only happens for root, it works ok for normal users. After the error popup, up comes an empty "Beyond Adobe Reader" window. "Browser Executable" and "libgtkembedmoz Folder" path settings are both empty in Preferences. We might consider setting a default browser in "Browser Executable" though, it's empty for normal users too.

BTW, why Adobe Reader? It's bloated and takes ages to load (version 5.x was probably the last "light" version), NTM that I'm not sure it is redistributable. Maybe it can be installable from the repo instead?
O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10