VectorLinux
November 25, 2014, 07:52:04 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8
  Print  
Author Topic: VectorLinux5.9-rc-1 bugs, suggestions and discussion  (Read 28035 times)
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #60 on: November 13, 2007, 10:48:12 am »

ToothandNail: have you done any mark all upgrades, execute with gslapt on RC1? Because if you have, then your bug reports may no longer valid. Do you have a clean RC1 on that machine? I have no problems with Acrobat here.

No, though I have attempted to do so since making that report. Still having problems with Gslapt failing if more than one install/upgrade is selected.

But I did upgrade Seamonkey, which may explain it.

I've now got round the problem using browse and pointing it at /opt/seamonkey/lib/Seamonkey-1.1.6.

I'll try another clean install of RC1 and see if I can work out when the problem occurs.

paul.
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #61 on: November 13, 2007, 11:00:06 am »

RC1 comes with 1.1.6.

I've now got round the problem using browse and pointing it at /opt/seamonkey/lib/Seamonkey-1.1.6.
So if we are going to use the friggin' Adobe Reader ( Roll Eyes ), we really should set up a generic /opt/seamonkey/lib/Seamonkey symlink so an upgrade doesn't break it. Actually, it will probably be useful for other apps as well.

Note to incognu: your packages will need to delete and recreate the symlink in install.sh... Wink

EDIT: WHOA! Just had a look and the monster takes 154 MB installed... Angry Shocked

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
easuter
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #62 on: November 13, 2007, 11:03:34 am »

Whats so great about adobe's readers anyway? Never had any complaints about Xpdf   Roll Eyes

kidd
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #63 on: November 13, 2007, 11:28:36 am »

Whats so great about adobe's readers anyway? Never had any complaints about Xpdf   Roll Eyes

If you want a plain reader, xpdf does all you want.  And it's configurable through the one and  true configuration center:  ~/.Xdefaults   Cheesy

toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #64 on: November 13, 2007, 01:06:26 pm »

RC1 comes with 1.1.6.

The testing repository has an updated build, which is what I installed while testing Gslapt.

So if we are going to use the friggin' Adobe Reader ( Roll Eyes ), we really should set up a generic /opt/seamonkey/lib/Seamonkey symlink so an upgrade doesn't break it. Actually, it will probably be useful for other apps as well.

Note to incognu: your packages will need to delete and recreate the symlink in install.sh... Wink

EDIT: WHOA! Just had a look and the monster takes 154 MB installed... Angry Shocked

Ouch. I knew it was big, but hadn't looked all that closely. Personally, I would rather see something like a recent build of Evince - works nicely, is a quite reasonable size and handles more than just PDF files..

paul.
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #65 on: November 13, 2007, 01:12:12 pm »

Ouch. I knew it was big, but hadn't looked all that closely. Personally, I would rather see something like a recent build of Evince - works nicely, is a quite reasonable size and handles more than just PDF files..
It might be a reasonable size but I get the feeling it would depend on a big chunk of gnome. Then again, I might be wrong.

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
easuter
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #66 on: November 13, 2007, 01:17:47 pm »

Quote from: Joe1962
It might be a reasonable size but I get the feeling it would depend on a big chunk of gnome. Then again, I might be wrong.

Yes indeed, evince does require lots of gnome's fuzzy cuddly but all-over-the-place packages. Here is a list from the VL 5.8 evince build of GNOME 2.18:

libgnomeui >= 2.18.1,libbonoboui >= 2.18.0,gnome-keyring >= 0.8,libgnomecanvas >= 2.14.0,libgnome >= 2.18.0,gnome-vfs >= 2.18.0.1,dbus-glib >= 0.72,openssl >= 0.9.8d,avahi >= 0.6.16,esound >= 0.2.36,alsa-lib >= 1.0.11,audiofile >= 0.2.6,popt >= 1.7,libart_lgpl >= 2.3.17,libbonobo >= 2.18.0,ORBit2 >= 2.14.7,GConf >= 2.18.0.1,glib2 >= 2.12.10,libglade >= 2.6.0,gtk+2 >= 2.10.11,libxml2 >= 2.6.27,libiconv >= 1.11,atk >= 1.18.0,pango >= 1.16.1,cairo >= 1.4.0,fontconfig >= 2.2.3,freetype >= 2.1.9,expat >= 1.95.8,glitz >= 0.5.6,libpng >= 1.2.16,x11 >= 6.9.0,libtiff >= 3.8.2,libjpeg >= 6b,zlib >= 1.2.3,libgnomeprintui >= 2.12.1,libgnomeprint >= 2.12.1,nautilus >= 2.18.0.1

Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #67 on: November 13, 2007, 01:20:40 pm »

Yeah, figured. I think I had a look at it a long time ago and gave up.

M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #68 on: November 13, 2007, 01:28:45 pm »

yes indeed... installing all of those packages will almost give you a usable gnome desktop

GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #69 on: November 13, 2007, 02:17:55 pm »

1. I am accustomed that F10 key closes midnight commander. Unfortunately here it activates a menu, which is a bit frustrating. This is my opinion however.

If you are using Terminal, the default in XFce, go to the menu, click on Edit, Preferences, click on Shortcuts, click on Disable menu shortcut key so a checkmark appears in the box, click Close. Problem solved!
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #70 on: November 13, 2007, 02:33:37 pm »

Ground your fingers to a suitable ground point to discharge any static from your body. Then take a pink eraser and rub the contacts on both sides of the stick then clean the contacts off with rubbing alcohol. Press the memory chips firmly onto the circuit board with your fingers (this sometimes solves chip creap problems). Reseat the RAM module carefiully and make sure both sides of the module housing on the motherboard click firmly home and that the side brackets are fully vertical.

I did all that except for cleaning the contacts. Before I call Kingston for a replacement, I'll try the cleaning. It's a laptop, so there are no "vertical side brackets," but I carefully made sure the thingies that secure the stick on the sides were properly positioned and the module was fully seated in the slot.

I have 512 megs in there now with two 256-meg modules. The one that failed was a 512 meg, which gave me 768.
--GrannyGeek

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #71 on: November 13, 2007, 02:52:18 pm »

I can confirm the problem, but it only happens for root, it works ok for normal users.

It happened for me as user. I never started Adobe Reader as root. When I got the error, I simply did a
locate libgtkembedmoz
and then just fed the path to Adobe Reader's Edit, Preferences, Internet box. I didn't select a default browser there because I always do that very soon after first starting XFce and I guess once you set a default browser, it carries through the system.

BTW, why Adobe Reader? It's bloated and takes ages to load (version 5.x was probably the last "light" version)

The Scribus team is adamant that Adobe Reader must be used for checking out PDF files created by Scribus. AR is the only PDF reader that renders all the features of a Scribus PDF. And Scribus is supposed to create very good PDFs. I also find that AR has the best printing options and the best selection options for text and graphics.

When I need quick and dirty I use XPDF, which loads instantly and generally does the job as a viewer. I also have XPDF set as a browser helper for viewing PDFs online. "Bloat" is in the eye of the beholder. Wink If they're features someone doesn't use, it's called bloat. If they're features someone uses, it's "finally they put this in--should have done it sooner."

I agree AR could be a repository item rather than included in the ISO. Until 5.9, I always installed it from the tar.gz downloaded from adobe.com. It's binary and includes a script, so is simplicity itself to install. Come to think of it, why would AR even need to be in the repos? I don't think we should encourage users to become *completely* dependent on having packages.
--GrannyGeek
« Last Edit: November 13, 2007, 02:57:52 pm by GrannyGeek » Logged

GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #72 on: November 13, 2007, 02:54:28 pm »

See my reply to Joe1962.
--GrannyGeek

rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #73 on: November 13, 2007, 03:04:33 pm »

Bad luck for us, sometimes AR is a must. I found pdf documents that only render properly in AR.
AR is bloated, I wonder how they coded something so heavy for just reading pdf. Even the Windows version is around 35mb. Sometimes it takes forever to boot.
But sometimes other viewers can't handle the forms, comments, attachments and other stuff embedded in the pdf. I can't find any use for that, with the exception of the forms.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
easuter
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #74 on: November 13, 2007, 03:13:00 pm »

I guess I'm lucky then: I've yet to come across a PDF document that Xpdf couldn't handle properly...

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8
  Print  

Jump to: