VectorLinux
September 02, 2014, 11:08:50 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
  Print  
Author Topic: VectorLinux5.9-rc-1 bugs, suggestions and discussion  (Read 26932 times)
vector
Administrator
Vectorite

« on: November 08, 2007, 12:14:06 am »

Please post bugs, thoughts, improvements and anything else here concerning the 5.9-rc1 release. The release announcement said it all we are close to final so now is the time to speak up and also to volunteer if you see something that can be fixed and you know the answer to save us some work and time.

Thanks,
vec
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2007, 03:21:53 am »

Downloaded and installed on my IBM T40.

Install still stalls on the FLGX driver for the ATI card in the machine - drops me into Mcedit to fix the problem, but it looks as though the driver section of xorg.conf isn't included at all. I'll have to try and see if I can save the file somewhere else so I can examine it at leisure. I usually run the install in framebuffer mode (vga=791), don't know if that could affect this?

Still can't use 'linux2' on boot for install - selecting the UK keymap when booted this way fails every time. I'm left with the US keyboard. Not a problem if I use 'linux' - keymap is then correctly changed to UK.

Overalp on the bootsplash 'terminal' screen is gone, though I did manage to provoke it once. Not sure what I did - I'll see if I can reproduce it.

MC now correctly identifies and reads the contents of .lzma files.

One completely new (and really strange) problem. When I first started the system, I had no network, and was unable to start it. I have two interfaces - an Intel Pro100 wired ethernet port and an Atheros  AR5212 wireless interface. At present, I don't have a wireless access point available, so I'm using the wired interface.

I've always had better results with the e100 driver rather than the eepro100, so I normally edit /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist to blacklist eepro100 and allow the e100 module to load. After I found I didn't have any network connectivilty, I ran lsmod and found that while the Atheros driver was loaded, there was no sign of the e100. I changed my blacklist back to standard to see if the eepro100 driver would load, but it didn't show up either.

I've now got the network running, but in order to get my wired interface up, I've had to add '/sbin/modprobe e100' to /etc/rc.d/rc.modules.

I've never had to do that before. Really strange...

I used a slightly modified version of the ports script to build conky 1.4.8 under the last beta. I saved it and installed it under RC1, but it failed to run. I ended up having to rebuild under RC1. I'm now running 1.4.7 (have to change the script to get 1.4.8 later), which is fine. Not sure why it should need to be built under RC1 though

More later...

paul.
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2007, 10:56:07 am »

Here are my observations:

1) does anyone else have the problem of the xfce Exit Panel sometimes not popping up when requested, especially after unchecking "Save Session for Future Logins"?? I do!. Also, as I said in Beta2 I think that should be unchecked anyways by default as it causes problems for those who mess up their desktop and then exit.

2) Opera Browser fonts are terrible: this is a known issue in Linux. There is a fix: edit /etc/opera6rc and add "Enable Core X Font=0" to bottom of [User Prefs] stanza.

3) HP Device Manager does nothing here

4) KDM login screen looks much nicer with antialiasing enabled. To do so edit /usr/share/config/kdm/kdmrc and uncomment the line AntiAliasing=true.

5) Some Installer Screens still a bit incorrect:
   - VL Setup, 2nd screen, space required 1000-2400MB, actually a full install now takes 2910MB.
   - as above for the Root Partition setup screen.
   - Home filesystem "Choose Filesystem" screen: KEEP "Do not format" occurs 3 times. Is this necessary. Also bad English on last line of screen: "yeah 3rd times" should read "yea, 3rd time".
   - HAL or VL_Hot Screen. The text formatting on the explanation text is all wonky.

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2007, 11:47:19 am »

Here are my observations:

1) does anyone else have the problem of the xfce Exit Panel sometimes not popping up when requested, especially after unchecking "Save Session for Future Logins"?? I do!. Also, as I said in Beta2 I think that should be unchecked anyways by default as it causes problems for those who mess up their desktop and then exit.

I've seen this as well. Haven't searched, but I'm pretty sure its an Xfce bug rather than anything else - I see it in Zenwalk as well.

2) Opera Browser fonts are terrible: this is a known issue in Linux. There is a fix: edit /etc/opera6rc and add "Enable Core X Font=0" to bottom of [User Prefs] stanza.

Thanks. Didn't know that. I'll have to try it. Certainly, fonts in Opera are awful on my system as well.

3) HP Device Manager does nothing here

Can't comment on that one - haven't tried any printer related stuff in Vector.

4) KDM login screen looks much nicer with antialiasing enabled. To do so edit /usr/share/config/kdm/kdmrc and uncomment the line AntiAliasing=true.

Yes it does. Trouble is, its not the fastest thing around anyway, and enabling antialiasing slows it down even more...

5) Some Installer Screens still a bit incorrect:
   - VL Setup, 2nd screen, space required 1000-2400MB, actually a full install now takes 2910MB.
   - as above for the Root Partition setup screen.
   - Home filesystem "Choose Filesystem" screen: KEEP "Do not format" occurs 3 times. Is this necessary. Also bad English on last line of screen: "yeah 3rd times" should read "yea, 3rd time".
   - HAL or VL_Hot Screen. The text formatting on the explanation text is all wonky.

I'm also getting the 'keep' prompt multiple times when selecting /home. In my case, twice rather than 3 times though...

Can't comment about the other bits - I was in too much of a hurry to get it installed to notice....  Grin

paul
Lyn
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2007, 03:18:56 pm »

OK the good news, UK keyboard works :-)
The bad news I still have the issue that the system crashes when ever I launch a terminal or a terminal application.  :-(
Thanks for in inclusion of xkill, nice to have a graphical utility, however when seamonkey crashes or freezes, which some flash sites and utube etc tend to, then you are still stuck with being unable to relaunch without logging out and restarting the system.
Lyn
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2007, 03:41:28 pm »

And some good news the issue of the system crashing when launching a terminal or a terminal application is confined to Xfce, and not on the other Window managers.
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2007, 03:57:17 pm »

Didn't finish the download yet, but I want to support the Lagagnon's suggestion about having the "Save session..." thing unchecked by default. The first thing people do when something is wrong with the desktop is log-out and login again, and without intention, makes the problem "sticky". 

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2007, 04:49:32 pm »

i have to say that does make sense. A lot of times people log out and back in hoping their screw up would be fixed. I vote default it to unchecked too

Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2007, 06:02:40 pm »

It definitely gets my vote too, been saying that since 5.8.

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2007, 06:39:38 pm »

I get segmentation faults running mplayer. The Terminal thing is still there, but probably is the xorg thing Vector mentioned. It looks weird, black and white, like a bad tunning tv.
Can I suggest to change the XFCE theme to 'Xfce-Curve' or 'Xfce 4.2'? It looks better and the colors and fonts are better for the usability.
I think the size of the toolbar can be smaller, I changed from 38 to 30, but probably is just personal taste....
The mouse wheel doesn't work here, I will check xorg.conf later, I suspect is just that axis option.
Everything else works very good here, like always.
I will keep testing...
« Last Edit: November 08, 2007, 06:42:07 pm by rbistolfi » Logged

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2007, 08:30:21 pm »

Install still stalls on the FLGX driver for the ATI card in the machine - drops me into Mcedit to fix the problem, but it looks as though the driver section of xorg.conf isn't included at all. I'll have to try and see if I can save the file somewhere else so I can examine it at leisure. I usually run the install in framebuffer mode (vga=791), don't know if that could affect this?
Can you post the output of lspci and lsmod?
also what brand and model of ati card do you have?

Thanks
Uelsk8s
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2007, 08:35:44 pm »

OK the good news, UK keyboard works :-)
The bad news I still have the issue that the system crashes when ever I launch a terminal or a terminal application.  :-(
Thanks for in inclusion of xkill, nice to have a graphical utility, however when seamonkey crashes or freezes, which some flash sites and utube etc tend to, then you are still stuck with being unable to relaunch without logging out and restarting the system.

what video card do you have there?
can you also post the Driver section of you xorg.conf?

Thanks,
Uelsk8s
vector
Administrator
Vectorite

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2007, 08:53:02 pm »

The Terminal thing is still there, but probably is the xorg thing Vector mentioned. It looks weird, black and white, like a bad tunning tv.
Would you try the terminal in fluxbox or jwm see if same results........trying to track the terminal bug down.

Thanks vec
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2007, 09:16:50 pm »

I installed RC1 on my laptop today; will do the Celeron desktop tomorrow. I had to use the sata2 kernel in order to get it to install on the laptop, just as in the betas.

Good news--the HDA audio worked out of the box! That's a MAJOR improvement.

I also managed to get my WPA wireless working, but it took a bit of doing. (I'm writing this in SeaMonkey and am wirelessly connected to the Internet.) There was no ndiswrapper in /lib/modules/2.6.22.10sm/kernel/net/wireless. So I copied the ndiswrapper.ko file that Ueksk8s had posted when I had the same problem in beta 2.3 and followed his directions that worked in beta 2.3. I used the same wpa_supplicant.conf file that I used in beta 2.3. When I tried to configure wifi-radar, wifi-radar locked up and I had to kill the process. Then I read in the Wireless HowTo that I should edit wifi-radar.conf. After I did that, I was able to start wifi-radar, configure it, reconnect, and then my wireless was working.

I think some work may need to be done so that anyone using the 2.6.22.10sm kernel has the necessary modules. Also, there are too many files that need hand editing in order to get wireless working. How would a new user know that the wifi-radar.conf file needs editing?

The proprietary NVIDIA driver worked fine and auto got my 1280x800 resolution right the first time.

I haven't had time to do more testing. Having sound working is a major improvement, and the WPA wireless basically works fine once all the pieces are in place (but is REALLY rough for a first-time user). Yet this is a major advance over the recent times when I couldn't get WPA wireless to work at all.

By the way, I use run level 2 and no frame buffers, so I have no experience with some of the issues others have encountered.

Good job so far!
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2007, 01:09:56 am »

I see that all alsa stuff has been moved into a single package. However, a lot of programs already in the repository have dependencies to alsa-lib. If you slapt-get one of those programs you'll get an older (1.0.14a) alsa-lib that will overwrite some of the files that came in the 1.0.15 package. I think the best course of action would be to rebuild alsa so it's all separate packages again. It's that or rebuild every package that has alsa-lib as a dependency. 

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
  Print  

Jump to: