VectorLinux
November 27, 2014, 07:31:48 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8
  Print  
Author Topic: VectorLinux5.9-rc-1 bugs, suggestions and discussion  (Read 28062 times)
kc1di
Packager
Vectorian

Morse Code Early digital mode. John 3:16

« Reply #90 on: November 17, 2007, 07:44:19 am »

I took a few minutes and loaded RC1.3 .Still have the same bug.
Any sugestions?
(See My post above)

can you post the ouput of "lspci|grep - vga"
and the out put of "cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf|grep Driver"

Thanks,
Uelsk8s
Hi
to both commands I get the return no such file or directory.. I must be doing something wrong.
Thanks for your help

I messed up the first command it should be
Code:
/sbin/lspci|grep -i vga
the second one is
Code:
cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf|grep Driver

Try copying and pasting them.

Thanks,
Uelsk8s

HI again the out put for the first command is :
00:01.0 VGA Controler: Intel Corp 82810E Dc-133 (CGC) Chipset Graphics Controller (REV 03)

the second one still comes back no such file.

Dave
( Living Somewhere in Maine USA)
Registered Linux User #462608
kc1di
Packager
Vectorian

Morse Code Early digital mode. John 3:16

« Reply #91 on: November 17, 2007, 08:30:13 am »

just to let you know Tried Zenwalk live cd  which is also based on Slackware and using xfce and it shows the same problem as on VL.

Also the number key and cap lock lights do not work in VL 5.9 RC1.3

Dave
( Living Somewhere in Maine USA)
Registered Linux User #462608
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #92 on: November 17, 2007, 12:42:07 pm »

We are working with the developers of gslapt and pkgtools-tukaani trying to find out the cause of gslapt hanging.
I need as many people as possible to start gslapt from a root terminal and try and get it to hang.
once it does if you can open another terminal and post the output of "ps -ef|grep slapt" and "ps -ef |grep pkgtool" It would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Uelsk8s
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #93 on: November 17, 2007, 01:18:08 pm »

...start gslapt from a root terminal and try and get it to hang

No can do. Works fine here on stock RC1.3.

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #94 on: November 17, 2007, 03:04:49 pm »

I need as many people as possible to start gslapt from a root terminal and try and get it to hang.

Works fine on my RC 1.3, as long as I'm root.

When running as regular user, it won't launch from start menu. Trying from terminal:
Code:
$ gslapt
/home/ftp/pub/veclinux/packages: Permission denied
Please update permissions on /home/ftp/pub/veclinux/packages or run with appropriate privileges
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #95 on: November 17, 2007, 04:21:27 pm »

So far I've never had any issues with Gslapt aside from not being able to launch with the menu entry.
ted1959

« Reply #96 on: November 18, 2007, 08:52:48 am »

I've been tryint out VL 5.9 RC1 or a short while now. I was looking through the Network menu and decided to try out "vlsmbmnt". Once it started I decided to just close it by clicking "Cancel", the window goes away but then comes back in a few seconds. I tried closing it again but it keeps coming back. I finally had to open a terminal and kill all processes associated with it.
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #97 on: November 18, 2007, 09:12:15 am »

I've found that vlsmbmount must be closed using the "Quit" option. Double-click it, or select and then click OK.
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #98 on: November 18, 2007, 09:23:55 am »

vlsmbmnt cancel button will be fixed in next release.
thanks for letting us know it didnt work,
Uelsk8s
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #99 on: November 18, 2007, 10:40:29 am »

once it does if you can open another terminal and post the output of "ps -ef|grep slapt" and "ps -ef |grep pkgtool" It would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry to be slow - I'm working fairly strange hours this weekend.

Finally tried this. And, for the first time, I was able to select multiple packages and have Gslapt run to completion without hanging. I have no idea what might have changed.

I'll keep trying to see if I can provoke the earlier lockups...

paul.
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #100 on: November 18, 2007, 06:37:19 pm »

Sorry to be slow - I'm working fairly strange hours this weekend.

Finally tried this. And, for the first time, I was able to select multiple packages and have Gslapt run to completion without hanging. I have no idea what might have changed.

I'll keep trying to see if I can provoke the earlier lockups...

paul.

Same here. Could an specific package problem? Perhaps the package was removed for other reason and the problem is gone now.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
Mihail121-tera

« Reply #101 on: November 21, 2007, 08:06:51 am »

I'm downloading the RC1 now, will install it in about an hour. I just hope, that the serious XPDF bug, that causes the whole system to lock (hard reset - NOT GOOD) has been solved. Also I hope the ATI drivers will run correctly this time without producing 2,000,000 error messages. ATI sucks by the way. Stay tuned!
« Last Edit: November 21, 2007, 08:08:44 am by Mihail121 » Logged
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #102 on: November 21, 2007, 08:58:41 am »

I'm downloading the RC1 now, will install it in about an hour.
Please make sure you download the latest: RC1.7
I just hope, that the serious XPDF bug, that causes the whole system to lock
I have not seen that bug here. Which version of VL was that with and did you have any other video/windows/desktop problems associated with it?

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
Mihail121-tera

« Reply #103 on: November 21, 2007, 09:38:57 am »

I'm downloading the RC1 now, will install it in about an hour.
Please make sure you download the latest: RC1.7
I just hope, that the serious XPDF bug, that causes the whole system to lock
I have not seen that bug here. Which version of VL was that with and did you have any other video/windows/desktop problems associated with it?

Yap, that's what I'm downloading! The XPDF bug I'm having over here is as follows: If I press 'o' the "Open file..." dialog shows as normal. If I then quickly press the right mouse button on the original XPDF window the context menu of the application will show and XFCE will somehow freeze beyond repair (only reboot solves it). All application seems to be running (the system itself does not freeze) but there is no keyboard and mouse interaction at all. I can move the pointer around but clicks and highlighting do not work. It occurs on 5.8 Standard.
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #104 on: November 21, 2007, 03:50:27 pm »

The XPDF bug I'm having over here is as follows: If I press 'o' the "Open file..." dialog shows as normal. If I then quickly press the right mouse button on the original XPDF window the context menu of the application will show and XFCE will somehow freeze beyond repair

I cannot regenerate your experiences with xpdf on VL5.8 Standard. Works just fine here and I've never had a problem with it and xfce. Perhaps you just had a funny glitch in it - possible re-installing it might have worked...just a suggestion...

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8
  Print  

Jump to: