VectorLinux
October 22, 2014, 07:28:42 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Starting programs suddenly very slow.  (Read 5140 times)
Kerstin

« on: November 08, 2007, 07:22:22 am »

As the topic says, starting programs are suddenly going very slow. Example when I installed VL it took very few seconds to start eg. Firefox, now it take about 10-12 sec. Its the same symptoms for other programs. Cant figure out what i have done. Could anyone point out the direction for me where to start looking for the problem?
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2007, 07:34:02 am »

Look at /var/log/messages /var/log/syslog and /var/log/faillog

Those are a couple places to look.

Any changes in hardware of updates?

Bigpaws
Kerstin

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2007, 07:58:48 am »

Nothing suspicious in logs, either no changes in hardware(just had some problems configuring my two nics). Once the programs has started they run just fine, weird...
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2007, 08:09:43 am »

Did you do an mark all upgrades and execute in gslapt? Launch Firefox from a terminal and see if you get any error messages in the terminal. Also run "top" or "htop" and see if you have some runaway process consuming CPU. Then run "free" and see if for some reason you are using swap memory? Post the output of those commands to the thread if you don't understand what they are telling you, or better yet read "man top" and "man free" before you run the commands.

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
Kerstin

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2007, 08:58:22 am »

Hmm.. seems to be an Internet related issue. All other programs starts quickly but when i try Firefox or Enemy territory it takes forever. Tried to reconfigure the network through vasm but still the same issue.
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2007, 09:05:03 am »

...All other programs starts quickly but when i try Firefox or Enemy territory it takes forever. ....
Ahh, that's not what you said in your first post, you said: "Its the same symptoms for other programs". Anyways, try pinging your local ISP: eg, "ping www.uniserve.com". The response time should be in the order of 10's to 100's of milliseconds, no more than that. If that is what you get then your Intnernet connection is fine and it is something more serious. Do you have any sort of firewall other than the VL default? Did you play with VL's firewall settings?

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
Kerstin

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2007, 09:56:19 am »

Sorry about that  Roll Eyes, anyway the ping is just fine and i have not touched the firewall...
Kerstin

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2007, 02:52:11 am »

Ok, now I found the issue. Its seems like there is a problem regarding DNS. If i remove the dns servers everything is just fine and firefox etc starts up as normally and i can ping eg google. But as soon as i restart my inet and resolves the dns servers then the problem is back.  Huh

Suggestions ?
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2007, 08:18:34 am »

Check your /etc/resolv.conf file. Are you using a router? If so your resolv.conf file should look something like this:

# Generated by dhcpcd for interface eth0
search uniserve.com
nameserver 192.168.0.1

,,,where you replace "uniserve.com" with your ISP base address and the nameserver IP address is the address of your router.

Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2007, 09:19:09 am »

Sounds like you're using DHCP, so the nameservers are set up for you. A workaround for firefox might be setting the home page to blank. At least then it should load fast.

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
Kerstin

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2007, 10:30:07 am »

Im using DHCP, no router. just thinking that it is wierd since everything worked ok until i tried to configured my two nic's. Now i cant get hold of it.
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2007, 09:43:20 pm »

Your routing is the problem in that having 2 NICS creates
a loop per se looking for DNS. Bring down one of the NICS and
then test again. I think you did that according to a previous post.

If you wish to use 2 NICS then look at iproute2 which should
get you setup on the default route for each NIC.

HTH

Bigpaws
Kerstin

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2007, 11:34:21 am »

Still no solution to this  Sad. never had this problem with ubuntu...
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2007, 12:26:38 pm »

Did you follow bigpaws recommendations above?

Kerstin

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2007, 12:59:33 pm »

Yes.. It makes no difference any longer how i configure my nics or which one i use to connect to Internet. Tried to shut down one but still the same issue. Dont know how to use iproute2.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: