VectorLinux
September 21, 2014, 07:50:18 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: enable a HP ScanJet 4300C  (Read 4162 times)
reb
Vectorite

The BOSS

« on: November 09, 2007, 02:03:22 pm »

I have one more peripheral to enable then I will be ready to fine-tune my VL 5.8 Deluxe.
So far, I haven't been able to find out if my HP ScanJet 4300C has a linux compatible driver.
I haven't even been able to find out if any scanners have linux drivers.  Any and all help
is appreciated.

reb

Ye Ole Montana Saddle Tramp
Nothing is right or wrong, good or bad, only thinking makes it so.  Think about it.
Running a Vector Linux VL3300 with 1 SATA 80GB HDD and 1GB DDR 400 ram, DVD+-RW , and VL 5.9 Delux
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2007, 02:16:23 pm »

I can't try it out since I don't have one, but this seems promising.
http://suseforums.net/index.php?showtopic=12683
reb
Vectorite

The BOSS

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2007, 05:37:41 pm »

OK exerterdad, I followed your suggestion and went to the suseforums addy you listed.  I read the "Adler" posts and finally wound up at : http://www.sane-project.org/man/sane-niash.5.html.  Now this site gives information on the HP ScanJet 4300C scanner, but I have absolutely no idea how to use this info because it is way over my head at this time  Sad  Hopefully you and/or others will be able to help me out on this one.

thanks much

reb

Nothing is right or wrong, good or bad, only thinking makes it so.  Think about it.
Running a Vector Linux VL3300 with 1 SATA 80GB HDD and 1GB DDR 400 ram, DVD+-RW , and VL 5.9 Delux
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2007, 08:04:38 pm »

I went through the sources (http://easynews.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/hp3300backend/backend-20060304.tar.gz).  The INSTALL file is very informative.  Read the file and build the testtool as instructed (just run make).  Then run ./testtool and see what happens.  It just told me I didn't have the scanner.  lol  I did run ./testtool -h and it does have some interesting options.  Don't know if the driver has to be installed first or not for it to do those neat things with your scanner.
To actually install the driver will be a pain.  You need to uninstall  Sane. Then patch the sources, build it and install.
Our Slackware Sane package doesn't make that easy for you as the frontend, and backend and some other doo-dads are all rolled up in one package.
If you can wait a day or two, I'll build you a custom sane package that shouldn't give you any dependency issues with other packages.  Just PM with with a email, ftp, credit card and Social Security number and I'll get it to you.

Or just a email address that can handle a +- 1mb attachment.  Cheesy
« Last Edit: November 09, 2007, 08:06:56 pm by exeterdad » Logged
reb
Vectorite

The BOSS

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2007, 12:07:25 pm »

Yah, uhhh, Huh sure!!,  just how do I "PM with a email"?  Obviously I am very new with linux talk.  Lets just say, "software is not my strong suit"; however I will do my best to follow advise and instructions.

thanks again

reb

lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2007, 06:30:54 pm »

... just how do I "PM with a email"? 

Reb: on the upper part of this forum page click on "My Messages". It will then become obvious...

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2007, 08:30:46 pm »

just how do I "PM with a email"?
See my name to the left?  Under it (and the other stuff) is 3 icons. The third one will send me a PM (Personal Message).  Wink
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: