VectorLinux
October 22, 2014, 07:20:10 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Flashplayer 9 won't install VL 5.8 Standard  (Read 6662 times)
dawnsboy
Vectorite

« on: November 10, 2007, 09:10:18 am »

I have the same problem that appears in a similar post regarding VL 5.8 SOHO:

greetings forum,
having a small amount of trouble installing flash player 9 on 5.8 soho. as you can see the glibc says older than 2.2 but gslapt says it is 2.3. i did not see an option to upgrade glibc in gslapt. also running as root

* yields the same result.

dave:$ cd /home/dave/install_flash_player_9_linux
vector:/~/install_flash_player_9_linux
dave:$ ./flashplayer-installer
./flashplayer-installer: line 76: [: 11): integer expression expected

ERROR: Your glibc library is older than 2.2.
       Please update your glibc library.

This user stated that he resolved the issue:

i just updated plugins and the flashplayer was installed. so, no worries now.

My question is how?  Huh

I downloaded the latest available version of the plugins package for VL 5.8 but continue to receive the same results when attempting to install flashplayer 9.0 for linux. 

I did successfully copy the two critical files; flashplayer.xpt and libflashplayer.so to the /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins folder manually as 'root'. 
« Last Edit: November 10, 2007, 09:15:52 am by dawnsboy » Logged

Custom Mini-Itx - VL6.0 Light
JohnB316
Administrator
Vectorian

Registered Linux User #386728

« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2007, 08:46:47 am »

It seems that Adobe had a weird way of determining which glibc was installed on a box - thus, the error message about the age of the glibc. This is a known issue and seems to be solved just by manually putting the key files from the Flash Player installer into your global plugins folder at /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins

HTH,
John

VL 6.0 SOHO latest alpha on one box, VL 5.9 Lite on the other.
dawnsboy
Vectorite

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2007, 11:03:10 am »

Thanks John!   Grin

As you read I did implement the work around but I like knowing why I need to use the work around.  I appreciate the information.

exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2007, 12:03:31 pm »

You're right John.  I can't find the post any more, but I got down to the bottom of it helping a user.  The install script would attempt to find the glibc version by using the iconv version.  In our case will not work.
Walt H

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2007, 09:07:07 pm »

It seems that Adobe had a weird way of determining which glibc was installed on a box - thus, the error message about the age of the glibc. This is a known issue and seems to be solved just by manually putting the key files from the Flash Player installer into your global plugins folder at /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins

Just out of curiousity, what are the key files? Thanks.
JohnB316
Administrator
Vectorian

Registered Linux User #386728

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2007, 08:02:55 pm »

Just out of curiousity, what are the key files? Thanks.

The key files for Flash are listed in the first post of the thread.

Cheers,
John

VL 6.0 SOHO latest alpha on one box, VL 5.9 Lite on the other.
Sivatheja
Vectorite

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2008, 04:17:47 am »

I have same problem, but I'm using sea monkey. Also mozilla is installed on the system. I've tried copying files to /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins, but the xpt file is already present it that.

Where are the files to be copied now (for the plugin to be installed in sea monkey)?

Full Linux Machine - Vector Linux 5.9 STD Gold, Intel - 1.79 GHz, 1Gb RAM, 60GB HDD
dawnsboy
Vectorite

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2008, 07:54:12 am »

The files present in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins are the ones in use by Flashplayer 7 which is installed with the OS.  It is ok to overwrite them.

Sivatheja
Vectorite

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2008, 09:16:07 am »

Will that reflect in SeaMonkey also?

EDIT: It  did reflect, now I have flash plugin.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2008, 08:56:50 pm by sivatheja » Logged

Full Linux Machine - Vector Linux 5.9 STD Gold, Intel - 1.79 GHz, 1Gb RAM, 60GB HDD
fuelinux

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2008, 02:12:13 am »

replaced file:///usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so with new one. Still doesn't work. Neither on Opera not Mozilla nor SeaMonkey Sad
Should I restart the machine?

Vector Linux 5.8 Standard
dawnsboy
Vectorite

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2008, 05:22:06 pm »

replaced file:///usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so with new one. Still doesn't work. Neither on Opera not Mozilla nor SeaMonkey Sad
Should I restart the machine?

Don't forget to copy libflashplayer.so and flashplayer.xpt to /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/  Wink

shahgols
Vectorite

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2008, 09:29:34 am »

Hi guys,

I don't see the two files in the tar.gz file that I downloaded.  When I untar, I only see the following in the newly created folder:

flashplayer-installer*  libflashplayer.so*

shahgols
Vectorite

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2008, 09:29:40 am »

Sorry, double post.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2008, 09:31:15 am by shahgols » Logged
shahgols
Vectorite

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2008, 08:57:29 am »

Guys, I really need help.  It seems like the flash on some sites stopped working recently.  Perhaps they upgraded the flash software on their site.  I need to upgrade to the latest flash, but I can't find the right files.  I downloaded the flash file from here:

http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/

But when I untar the file from that site, I don't see the two files that was mentioned in the first post.  Where do you guys get the flash player from?
shahgols
Vectorite

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2008, 09:30:35 am »

You know, I just placed the one file that was there (libflashplayer.so) in the /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins folder and now flash works again.  At least it's working for now, don't know what the other file's purpose is.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: