VectorLinux
December 21, 2014, 12:55:03 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [ Vector 5.9rc1 ] or any other + laptops HDD  (Read 1935 times)
tab0reqq

« on: November 10, 2007, 05:33:09 pm »

Hey,

Currenty im running 5.9rc1 on Vmware Player while normally working on my laptop with Windows XP (still need 2 programs for my diplom).

I was thinking on moving in near future to Vector again (after 5.8 to 6.0 i hope), but also trying 5.9rc's. recently i heard that linux can damage or decrease life of ntebooks hdd.

How it look when it comes to Vector? Is it safe? How is it made in VL ?

My harware:
hp nx7300 with Core Duo T2350
2gb ram
sata 120gb hdd
« Last Edit: November 10, 2007, 05:36:42 pm by tab0reqq » Logged

Software: VL 5.8 Gold | Kernel 2.6.19.2 | X.org 6.9 | Xfce 4.4
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2007, 06:24:29 pm »

... recently i heard that linux can damage or decrease life of ntebooks hdd.

Eh? Sounds like Redmond Misinformation! And how would that happen? I would suspect any process that sits in the background and constantly writes and read bits from the hard drive would shorten the life of any hard drive, whether such software is installed on Windows, Linux or any OS. Such software might include any sort of continuous indexing tool such as Beagle or the Vista equivalent. Personally I have never seen any version of VL do such to a hard drive, so I think you're safe.

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2007, 06:35:06 pm »

LOL, indeed sounds like misinformation of the defrag and scandisk inventors  Cheesy
« Last Edit: November 10, 2007, 07:03:29 pm by rbistolfi » Logged

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
MikeCindi
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2007, 06:46:13 pm »

Perhaps this is what is being referred to: http://www.linux-hero.com/rant/explanation-ubuntu-hard-drive-wear-and-tear
I've been using VL on my laptop for a few years now and though I've replaced the HD (40Gb to 120Gb) it was not because of a HD failure. The 40Gb is now in an external, USB case. The 120Gb has WinXP, VL 5.8 SOHO, and VL 5.9RC1 on it with a ~50Gb partition for each to commonly write to.

The plans of the diligent lead to profit...Pro. 21:5
VL64 7.1b3                                     RLU 486143
tab0reqq

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2007, 03:08:31 am »

Its not a mistification. Its connected with working with laptop on battery. I was asking becouse i heard about this problem on Ubuntu Tongue And i just wanted to know if its safe on VL.

Software: VL 5.8 Gold | Kernel 2.6.19.2 | X.org 6.9 | Xfce 4.4
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2007, 06:28:44 am »

Thanks for pointing it. I was just doing some exercise of the Linux-user-paranoia pointed by GrannyGeek  Cheesy
Back to the problem, looks like a weird one to me. I never seen a report similar to that problem here. Of course, no harm in run some of those commands the article points to, pay attention to the noise of the hd, etc. And you know, apm can be tricky for us (the linux users)  Wink; is always something to keep on eye on, imo, specially in a lappy.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: