VectorLinux
August 27, 2014, 02:48:39 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Xfce 4.4.1 issues found  (Read 1406 times)
Tigerwolf
Vectorite

« on: November 11, 2007, 10:43:37 pm »

In response to another post:  "VTE-0.16 breaks XFCE Terminal", the thread went off on a slight tangent and led to uelsk8s kindly creating a VL 5.8 version of Xfce 4.4.1 which is now in the 5.8 testing repository.   I'm posting this as a new topic because the old topic is on a separate issue regarding VTE, though that's where the new Xfce package was introduced.

Anyway, the issues I've found concern the Xfce Mount devices panel plugin:

1. The Xfce Mount panel-plugin (usr/libexec/xfce4/panel-plugins/xfce4-mount-plugin) which is bundled in the testing package does not see or report USB storage devices which are detected and auto-mounted by VL-hot.  No listing for the device shows up at all.

Such USB devices *were* seen and properly listed by the old Xfce 4.4.0 version of the xfce4-mount-plugin program, so it doesn't seem to be an issue with VL-Hot.

Likewise, it will not detect or report a manually mounted /dev/cdrom.  It shows the cdrom mounted *ONLY* if *it* does the mounting.   (The old one showed mount status/fullness regardless of how it it got mounted.)

It does report the main hard drive /dev/hda1  on / .

2.  Neither old or new version launches thunar (the app listed in the 'execute after mounting' option).   Whether the new one *might* is uncertain since it doesn't see the VL-hot added device at all.

At this point, I don't know if the problem is an actual bug in the new Xfce mount plugin, some compile option that might be throwing off the 4.4.1 version, something it needs to be told about the VL-hot scheme, or what. 

In nosing around I noticed this:

The plugin seems to display certain devices listed in /etc/fstab, showing things like /dev/cdrom device.   I'm *GUESSING* it uses fstab to see which devices to show.
I would also *ASSUME* it looks at /etc/mtab or maybe does a 'df' call to see which devices are actually mounted and how full they are.    However it's *supposed* to work,  the 4.4.1 version is not getting the info or reporting status properly.

This is a critical issue since using the panel-plugin 'umount by clicking' feature is the only way an non-root user can unmount USB storage devices.

=^_^=  Tigerwolf

Running: Vector Linux 5.8 Standard   12-16-2006
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: