VectorLinux
October 20, 2014, 04:09:38 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [RESOLVED] Has anyone successfully installed compiz fusion on VL 5.8 SOHO?  (Read 3477 times)
emi

« on: November 13, 2007, 12:27:49 am »

I spent a couple hours seeing if I could install compiz fusion on my VL 5.8 SOHO last night. I upgraded by X server (http://www.vectorlinux.com/forum2/index.php?topic=3278.0) successfully and built the compiz packages as described (http://www.vectorlinux.com/forum2/index.php?topic=4422.0). Everything seems fine until I actually try to start the window manager:

Code:
$ LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT=1 INTEL_BATCH=1 compiz --replace --indirect-rendering --sm-disable ccp &
compiz (core) - Fatal: GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap is missing
compiz (core) - Error: Failed to manage screen: 0
compiz (core) - Fatal: No manageable screens found on display :0.0

I know that my hardware is capable because compiz works fine off a Sabayon Linux livecd using aiglx (I have an Intel 945GM card).

Anyway before I start doing a serious investigation of hardware and configuration problems I wanted to check if there are any software packages not installed on VL 5.8 that compiz fusion might need. I didn't see any errors when compiling.

Here is my xorg.conf:
http://dark-code.bulix.org/gauxam-60802

xdpyinfo dump:
http://dark-code.bulix.org/rtn377-60803

glxinfo dump:
http://dark-code.bulix.org/14fbc9-60804
« Last Edit: November 13, 2007, 08:01:15 pm by JohnB316 » Logged
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2007, 12:39:30 am »

hello,
from your glxinfo dump
direct rendering: No
not sure what your missing, everything else looks good to me

HTH,
Uelsk8s
M-ake

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2007, 02:46:18 am »

Hi!

Yes, I´ve had similar experiences with intel 950 gma graphics card running VL with upgraded X. It just randomly switches off 3d rendering. Probably a nasty bug or something, So far I havent found the solution for this. Anyways, reinstalling X did sometimes restore 3d accelleration, until it switched off again. I´ve had no similar experiences with other distros.

This was with 5.8 STD & using packages M0E´Inx built.

Jumalauta!!
--
Fish go m00!
stoichyu
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2007, 05:10:34 am »

You could try rebuilding Mesa and see if the direct rendering problem is fixed. I built Mesa 7 for my laptop with the 945gm and it solved most of the dri/3d problems.

There's no place like ~.
VL 5.8 PentiumD 2.8Ghz Registered Linux User #432836
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2007, 06:54:12 am »

The suggestions sund right... I have the same chip, and it works fine (in a vl5.9 beta)...

I'm assuming you also upgraded your toolchain along with xorg...

You should try the Mesa suggestion.

emi

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2007, 04:39:50 pm »

I'm assuming you also upgraded your toolchain along with xorg...

I think you are asking if I upgraded gcc and friends and no I didn't, I compiled the whole thing with the gcc 3.4.6 that shipped with the distro. I don't remember reading anywhere that 4.x was necessary. I did a search just now and I still can't find anything that says so.

So... I need to upgrade to gcc 4.x and automake x.whatever (and recompile the kernel as well?) then recompile compiz, and if that doesn't work, upgrade mesa?
emi

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2007, 06:17:53 pm »

Update:

I got it working. I compiled Mesa 7.0.2 and that solved everything. I didn't need to change the compiler... maybe I misunderstood what you meant by toolchain?

Thanks for the help everyone.
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2007, 08:23:23 pm »

Update:

I got it working. I compiled Mesa 7.0.2 and that solved everything. I didn't need to change the compiler... maybe I misunderstood what you meant by toolchain?

Thanks for the help everyone.

Actualy, you do need to upgrade the compiler and friends to get the full power on fusion... some features may not work with the old compiler... in some cases, it may not even compile (like in my experience)

exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2007, 08:35:00 pm »

You disappoint me Moe!  This is a prime screenshot opp!  Cheesy
emi

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2007, 09:06:43 pm »

Actualy, you do need to upgrade the compiler and friends to get the full power on fusion... some features may not work with the old compiler... in some cases, it may not even compile (like in my experience)

In that case I'll upgrade and do it over again. Is it safe to just borrow these packages from the VL 5.9 directory?:

gcc-4.1.2
gcc-g++-4.1.2
binutils-2.17.50.0.17

...Are there any others I'm missing? And will I need to recompile the kernel with the new gcc?
The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2007, 12:16:43 am »

In that case I'll upgrade and do it over again.
I wouldn't do that if it's working now.

Is it safe to just borrow these packages from the VL 5.9 directory?:
No, you'll just break your system.

No eyecandy however pretty is worth the amount of trouble you're suggesting to go through. If you want to build yourself compiz-fusion against more recent versions of x and gcc the answer is VL 5.9. If you have some spare partition, just give it a go and try it on there.

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: