VectorLinux
October 01, 2014, 02:13:02 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: which version of VL do I offer  (Read 2732 times)
nubcnubdo
Vectorian

« on: November 14, 2007, 06:58:37 am »

I have a request I must fill by this weekend. A Linux newbie came up to me and requested several Linux CDs (say 4 different distros) because he can't burn his own CDs. As far as VL is concerned, what version should I burn for him? I'm thinking I should give him VL 5.8 Std, and then I imagine this guy rolling his eyes when he sees the sync bugs associated with Xine player. I've never installed a Release Candidate for personal use before, just for testing purposes, so I hesitate to give him an RC.
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2007, 07:57:41 am »

I vote for 5.8 std because is well tested and you can be pretty sure it will work in whatever kind of hardware this guy have. Just explain the Xine problem and how to fix it, and is a good chance to talk about how Linux handle packages, how is the development cycle, etc.
FOSS usually provide fixes more quickly than other development models. You don't have to be afraid about installing issues, every os has them. There is a recent thread about the problems of installing XP now, and even the ms soft will not play some files because of codecs missing. Every os needs tweaks after install.
However always there is room for improvement, perhaps we are not being very clear about which upgrades are a must, and the patches repo is not enabled by default in the 5.8 iso.
All distros are having problems on this topic. They solve it recommending making all upgrades available after install. I think, and I agree with many others in the forum on this, is not the proper solution, and can bring more problems than solutions. If I understand well, 5.9 will bring a better handling of upgrades, including the "distro upgrade" option, so we are in the way...

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2007, 08:24:54 am »

All I can say is I've installed RC1 on three very different computers and it has been working very well on all of them. I haven't done anything with Xine, so I can't say whether that bug has gone away.

Two of the above computers have always been very Linux-friendly and RC1 and the preceding betas installed easily and "just work." One of my computers has been very difficult in some aspects (sound and wireless), but the sata2 kernel on RC1 eliminated those problems (though I needed some help with ndiswrapper.ko).

The thing with betas and RCs is that they need testing on as many different computers as possible because *some* hardware may have problems--but we don't know what that hardware is until VL is installed on it and the problem shows up. If the problems are encountered by testers, the devs can work to fix them. So there's no assurance your friend would have totally smooth sailing. But my experience with RC1 has been very positive and it does have newer versions of programs such as the Gimp that are improvements on the  older versions.

RC1.3 has just be posted, so if you decide to go with the RC you might want to try it. It should have some bug fixes. But since it hasn't been installed on many computers yet, there may be new problems that result from fixing the old problems. Sad

I loved 5.8 Standard but it couldn't do sound and wireless on my new laptop, no way, no how.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
easuter
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2007, 08:29:24 am »

I vote for VL 5.8 especially because of the large amount of packages available in the repository.
However, as things are going it shouldn't be long until VL 5.9's repo fills up too Smiley

About the Xine problem: there is a xinelib package update for VL 5.8 in the repo.

newt
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2007, 09:37:45 am »

For a linux newbie coming from windows(??) I'd probably give 5.8 SOHO.  I think it'll better meet their needs of what they'd expect to be in an OS (I know it's only a DE but to someone who may not know it's considered the OS Cheesy ).  Less command line tweaking using kde.  FWIW.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2007, 11:15:21 am by newtor » Logged
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2007, 09:41:24 am »

For a linux newbie coming from windows(??) I'd probably give 5.8 SOHO.  I think it'll better meet their needs of what they'd expect to be in an OS (I know it's only a DE but they someone who may not know it's considered the OS).  Less command line tweaking using kde.  FWIW.
Don't use it, but I agree.
MikeCindi
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2007, 11:05:41 am »

I'd suggest 5.8 SOHO as well. BTW what are your other three distro choices?

The plans of the diligent lead to profit...Pro. 21:5
VL64 7.1b3                                     RLU 486143
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2007, 12:32:29 pm »

Another vote for 5.8 SOHO. It is capable, complete and fast.
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2007, 02:11:19 pm »

I must admit I've never even laid eyes on 5.8 SOHO, so it never crossed my mind.

I do agree with the others who think it's the best VL choice for someone just trying out Linux.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2007, 02:40:56 pm »

5.8 SOHO is well rounded and a display of what
can be done. KDE is certainly a closer environment
to windows.

For my clients I install SOHO for them.

Bigpaws
nubcnubdo
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2007, 05:27:05 pm »

mikecindi wrote:
I'd suggest 5.8 SOHO as well. BTW what are your other three distro choices?

The ones I play with the most:
1. PCLinuxOS 2007, all-round decent distro, fairly reliable, nice appearance
2. LinuxMint Cassandra Xfce CE
3. Puppy 3.01 for novelty and utility, fast boot, winmodem support
and VECTORLINUX FOR A GREAT COMMUNITY WITH CAN-DO ATTITUDE! Oh, sorry, I got carried away there.

Notice that all four distros work out of the box.  Wink

« Last Edit: November 17, 2007, 05:24:42 am by nubcnubdo » Logged
MikeCindi
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2007, 06:29:02 pm »

I guess suggesting 5.1 Std, 5.8 Gold, 5.8 SOHO, and 5.9RC1.3 isn't what they're looking for is it?  Tongue
I think your choices are pretty good although I have not tried PCLinuxOS myself.

The plans of the diligent lead to profit...Pro. 21:5
VL64 7.1b3                                     RLU 486143
nubcnubdo
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2007, 06:41:39 pm »

suggesting 5.1 Std, 5.8 Gold, 5.8 SOHO, and 5.9RC1.3

I might just send him along with a little bouquet of VectorLinux, 3 CDs anyway, maybe Standard, SOHO, and Live. VL is more or less my commercial Linux; it's what I sell, and support. Or would like to sell, as soon as demand catches up with supply, hehe.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2007, 01:35:25 am by nubcnubdo » Logged
nubcnubdo
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2007, 09:02:25 pm »

I'm being lazy, but can someone tell me the default bookkeeping-accounting-spreadsheet application(s) in VL 5.8 SOHO. Thanks
« Last Edit: November 14, 2007, 09:18:52 pm by nubcnubdo » Logged
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2007, 09:17:05 pm »

Spreadsheet is OOCalc. As far as bookkeeping and accounting there is no default. For a home style one try "Grisbi", but I understand "GnuCash" is more powerful.

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: