VectorLinux
August 22, 2014, 01:26:23 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  
Author Topic: VL-5.9-STD-RC1.3  (Read 17534 times)
vector
Administrator
Vectorite

« on: November 14, 2007, 02:48:23 am »

http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/Uelsk8s/old-pkgs/VL5.9-STD-RC1.3.iso
New kernel some new surprises (think vasm control center) lots of fixes. Please everyone try this. We are close so want to get the last wrinkles out. We have a preview of vasmCC in there not quite done yet but want some feed back. It's looking better keep those cards and letters coming. If your a vectorite then you want to be proud of what goes out to the next generation of vectorbies.............lets make it so!

cheers,
Vec
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2007, 09:36:23 am »

Installed flawlessly with defaults.  Although I did choose nv for vid driver.  Noticed that the stinking caps/scroll/num lock led's do not work.  Although they do function.
I've yet to get Xfburn to do anything. Starting via Xfce menu just yields a busy mouse pointer until it finally passes. But clicking the menu entry again will open it up.  I noticed when running ps aux that the first attempted xfburn process (executed by menu) never terminates.  When there is a instance of xfburn running, you are able to open xfburn successfully, but it won't pick up any of the devices.  Also, the orphaned process will tie up my CDROM drive preventing mount or umount.  My CDROM is not a burner.
vector:/~
leeh:$ ls -l /dev/cd*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 2007-11-14 05:30 /dev/cdr -> hdc
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 2007-11-14 05:30 /dev/cdrom -> hdd
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 2007-11-14 05:30 /dev/cdrw -> hdc
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 2007-11-14 05:30 /dev/cdwriter -> hdc
vector:/~
leeh:$ ls -l /dev/dvd*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 2007-11-14 05:30 /dev/dvd -> hdc
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 2007-11-14 05:30 /dev/dvdrw -> hdc
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 2007-11-14 05:30 /dev/dvdwriter -> hdc
hdc is my burn/read anything device and hdd is merely a cd reader.  CDROM mounts fine when the xfburn process isn't dinking with it.  Starting xfburn via cli reveals nothing exciting at all.  It just hangs without any output until I get bored and stop the process.  Root cli has all the same results.

Missing icons in Xfce menu still. "About Xfce" and the two from the settings submenu "Autostarted Applications" and "Database Access Properties".

VasmCC-  Nice addition, I think it will be gratefully accepted by users.  Nice work Moe and friends!  But...  when selecting "X Window" catagory, when the text goes bold.  It expands to two lines.  The second line goes out of the container making it unreadable. Also noticed the "Exit" button text looks.... weird sometimes until you mouse over it. Then it straightens out.

Alright, I'm gonna come right out and say it.  I hate the look of the "vsuper" dialog.  I hope you'll consider adding gksu to the iso so vsuper will detect and use it like the good ol' days.

Thunar File Manager (root) added.  Thank You.

That's about all I've noticed at this time.  Sorry for sounding so picky, but Gold is rapidly approaching so I thought I'd bring up things I'd normally not worry about.

Overall, it's a very usable system.  Nice work  Smiley
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2007, 09:44:06 am »

VasmCC-  Nice addition, I think it will be gratefully accepted by users.  Nice work Moe and friends!  But...  when selecting "X Window" catagory, when the text goes bold.  It expands to two lines.  The second line goes out of the container making it unreadable. Also noticed the "Exit" button text looks.... weird sometimes until you mouse over it. Then it straightens out.

What screen resolution are you using?
Does it help if you resize the panes? click on the separator line and drag it to resize...
Let me know if it helps, so I can set the widths to this panels right...

VasmCC is very young... Thanks for testing...

I too hate the looks of everything after you click on the icons on vasmCC, but not much we can do there ATM... maybe later.

uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2007, 09:49:41 am »

Now we see how modest you are. The VasmCC was written by Moe and the desktop launchers were put together by Nightflier and Exeterdad.
Nice work guys!

I dont see any of the problems you mentioned with vasmCC here. can you post a screen?

Thanks,
Uelsk8s
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2007, 10:20:53 am »

Screen Res is 1280x1024.
Here's two screenshot's. First is VasmCC as seen when first opened.  Then after clicking the "X Window" catagory.  Resizing makes no difference.  Even dragging center divider to the right.  Even maximized doesn't straighten it out.  But it sure gets big  Cheesy I can't seem to duplicate the "exit" button thingie.  Maybe it was a fluke.

I too hate the looks of everything after you click on the icons on vasmCC, but not much we can do there ATM... maybe later.
I wasn't talking about the dialogs while using VasmCC.  I was talking about how I hate the looks of "vsuper" when we need to supply a password for a privileged task.

But, I agree with the appearance of the dialogs after the VasmCC frontend.  But without some serious work to the VASM scripts, or a seperate VASM-like system we're gonna have to deal with it.  VASM doesn't require X.

Edit:  Dang...  I wish I would of thought to add NIGHTFLIERS icon entries into my VasmCC before the screenies.  What you see folks is the VasmCC as it is on the new ISO.  Uelsk8s above screenshot shows nightfliers "a little too late for ISO" menu icons installed.  And...  Uelsk8s did a lot with VasmCC as well.  Not sure exactly what, but he sure orchestrated a lot via PM.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2007, 10:44:23 am by exeterdad » Logged
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2007, 10:49:05 am »

The next one will be yet better Wink

toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2007, 12:03:21 pm »

Finally finished downloading (worst for a long time), and installed.

Install was fine, though "linux2" is still unusable for me - I can't select UK keyboard layout booted from it.

YASMCC looks good, though I'm having the problem already mentioned with the Xwindows selection.

The mount applet in VASM still has problems - attempting to add /dev/hda1 (NTFS) still results in an fstab which lists it as XFS.

Still missing a few icons in the menus - missing are About XFCE, Autostarted Applications, GTKFind and PPRacer.

Otherwise, so far, very good...

One other peculiarity. I have  libjavaplugin_oji.so in /, which is a link to /usr/lib/java/i386/l libjavaplugin_oji.so. Not doing any harm, but I don't think it really should be there...  Grin

paul.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2007, 12:10:01 pm by toothandnail » Logged
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2007, 12:40:03 pm »

Gslapt will not execute from the menu - selecting it does nothing at all. Executed from a terminal (as root), I get a number of errors:

Code:
(gslapt:3256): Pango-WARNING **: Invalid UTF-8 string passed to pango_layout_set_text()

(gslapt:3256): Pango-WARNING **: Invalid UTF-8 string passed to pango_layout_set_text()
regex failed on [PACKAGE NAME:  orbit2-2.14.8-1vl59.tlz]
regex failed on [PACKAGE NAME:  orbit2-2.14.8-1vl59.tlz]

but it does work...

I also tried Edit > Unmark all, but it didn't work - had to exit and restart to clear the execute list.

paul.

rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2007, 01:53:07 pm »

Wow, that vasmCC looks pretty cool! should we give our thanks to the gambasian fellowship?
God, this download is taking for ever, is a 10 kb/s here...

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2007, 01:57:52 pm »

gambasian fellowship

hehe.... I like that...

Gambasian ....

funny... yet accurate Wink

GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2007, 02:41:22 pm »

I'm downloading as we speak. It is SLOOOOW! I started late this morning and at about 35% it errored out and I had to start all over. I hope it'll be done before I go to bed. Smiley

Can't wait to try it out!
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2007, 03:00:55 pm »

I'm downloading as we speak. It is SLOOOOW! I started late this morning and at about 35% it errored out and I had to start all over. I hope it'll be done before I go to bed. Smiley

Yeah, horribly slow here too. Mind you, since I'm paranoid and always use wget -c for this type of download, at least it didn't error out. Just took 5 hours plus to complete...

Can't wait to try it out!
--GrannyGeek

Grin Its well worth the wait...

paul
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2007, 04:40:35 pm »

Yeah, horribly slow here too. Mind you, since I'm paranoid and always use wget -c for this type of download, at least it didn't error out. Just took 5 hours plus to complete...

Thanks for the reminder. My download errored out AGAIN, so this time I'm using wget. I usually use Opera for downloads and it will resume a stopped download, but not an error. Maybe the slowness of the connection is causing problems. I'm getting better speed now, too. wget is reporting 3-1/2 hours to go.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2007, 05:46:57 pm »

After spending this time with vasmCC, I have formed some opinions:

I think the logo should be incorporated in the welcome screen. Some advertisement is fine, but once you get down to business, the screen real estate should be dedicated to the task. The title bar will still show what you're working with.

The scripts that can not be run under X (like autosetup) should not be included.

With the freedom of motion that the GUI gives us, the launchers should only be one level deep. Better to add some categories to the left panel. That way we could eliminate some duplications as well. Thinking of it.. I'll start on that, just in case   Wink
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2007, 07:03:19 pm »

Just started downloading at around 40 Kb/sec. That will take 4½ hours with prozilla.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  

Jump to: