VectorLinux
November 27, 2014, 02:46:45 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: VL-5.9-STD-RC1.3  (Read 18628 times)
Dweeberkitty
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2007, 07:09:07 pm »

vasmCC looks cool! Good job. I wonder though, how hard it would be to integrate each of those "modules" or scripts into the new KDE 4 Control Center. It would be nice to have one central control panel instead of a KDE one and a Vasm one. Just a thought. Probably not worth anything.

Registered Linux User #443399
Desktop: Intel Pentium D 3.33Ghz, 320GB hard drive, 2 gigs DDR2 533mhz RAM, NVIDIA Geforce 7800 GS, X2GEN 22" widescreen monitor;
Laptop: Dell Mini 9, Intel Atom 1.6Ghz, 1GB ram
Multimedia Bonus Disc website: http://www.vectorlinuxsolutions.com/
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2007, 07:29:54 pm »

gambasian fellowship

hehe.... I like that...

Gambasian ....

funny... yet accurate Wink

he, I think was the gambasian's leader who made up that one, I added the "fellowship" thing.

Ohh, after the long download, it wont boot, is there an md5?

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2007, 07:44:24 pm »

9da06e61bf6a25f51b9a37e5fd5fc7bc  VL5.9-STD-RC1.3.iso
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2007, 10:05:25 pm »

Thanks, Uel, the download is corrupted... Sad

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."

--
Jumalauta!!
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2007, 12:54:08 am »

Getting closer.

Boot messages now well within terminal frame.

Frozen-bubble can again be launched with -no-fullscreen flag. We know for -fullscreen we have to wait for xorg to fix the driver for sagave.

First startx gave a black screen and a teminal in the upper left corner. I had expected xfce4 to open.

Twm will not exit except with Ctrl-Alt-Backspace.

No icons on xfce4-panel for Quit and Speaker.

CD icon still follows cursor.

Audio CD can only be played with xine. Audacious and mplayer claim that there is no audio CD.

In cups can't make anything out of the printers offered for Epson such as
Generic PCL 4 Printer Cups-gutenprint..... etc
Never seen before.

Yes it seems I can't print with this kernel 2.6.23.1 with my Epson LQ300 printer. I took the kernel over to VL5.8-STD and sure enough it will not print. I overlooked that on RC1 assuming it will print as it did with the Beta versions on previous kernel.

VASMCC looks nice!
« Last Edit: November 15, 2007, 03:20:28 am by Pita » Logged
BlueMage
Vectorite

« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2007, 03:41:20 am »

Bugger, I need to clean up the drool on my desk now...

Yeah, downloading and eager to try.

Acer Laptop:  Vector 5.8 SOHO Final & Windows XP Professional & USB (still alive!)
Compaq POS (almost dead): Vector 5.9 Light Beta 5
Quad-core BEAST: Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit & Vector 5.9 64-bit beta-2
Old 500MHz media box:  Vector 5.8 SOHO Final (dead)
701 EeePC:  Puppeee (based on Puppy 4.01)
Witek Mozga
Vectorite

« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2007, 04:03:23 am »

Kernel Selction Help is confusing for me, it says that:
linux   : For most systems with IDE/SATA harddisk (default)

few lines below:
The default is 'linux2'

but when I just pressed enter the message was:
loading kernels/sata

Which then is the default kernel? linux, linux2 or sata!?   Huh

rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2007, 04:49:24 am »

"same as above but with new initrd"

Wm, apparently, both of them are "sata", but linux2 use a new initrd.

--
Jumalauta!!
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2007, 05:57:23 am »

vasmCC looks cool! Good job. I wonder though, how hard it would be to integrate each of those "modules" or scripts into the new KDE 4 Control Center. It would be nice to have one central control panel instead of a KDE one and a Vasm one. Just a thought. Probably not worth anything.

MMM.... I can think of a couple of reasons not to do that. let me see if I can put those down in an orderly fashion:

First, and probabbly the most relevant.... We only ship KDE with SOHO ... How would we configure STD?
Second .... I dont know C or C++ Wink (I assume it's written in one of those)

With that said, I think our configuration (be it vasm vasmCC or whatever else) needs to be DE-independant.

rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2007, 06:58:50 am »

ok, was a long wait, but this is great!
I have no the vasmCC problem. Looks very good. A few minor things to comment, but perhaps we should start a new thread for it, is a hole new thing.
media-refresh gives me 

Failed to execute child process "sginfo" (No such file or directory)

I had problems with the keyboard layout too, vasm fixed it though.

Terminal doesn't work for me, the same weird problem. I can-t find and explanation for it, but I am comfortable with xterm. I am pretty sure it is a non-vl-related problem. I will do more research if I can make the time for it.

After thinking a while, I made an opinion about Acrobat Reader. Some users have problems to install it, so is good thing to have it in the iso. But the size is huge. I think we should include a vector graphics tool in the place of Xara, and Inkscape is the obvious choice. Gvim could be good too, or perhaps Geany. I think we should include a least one more 'dev' editor. So, resuming, I think the size of AR lives out a few of cool and useful apps. Of course, is just one opinion. May be the fact I have more use for Inkscape and text editors is influencing my argument  Roll Eyes,

I installed a few packages with Gslapt, I have the problems mentioned. It download everything but hangs during the install. Who packaged Amaya? Thank you very much  Wink

Well, a great job as always. I thing this one is in shape, a few minor things...

--
Jumalauta!!
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2007, 07:28:04 am »

Who packaged Amaya?

Grin

I started inkscape a couple weeks ago, but had a few deps to build.  Then got distracted.  Such is life for me  Cheesy
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2007, 07:38:54 am »

Since I'd consider the use of Gslapt important.  Those that need a quick fix until it's resolved in the next release.  As root (terminal):
sed -i "s|/usr/sbin|vsuper /usr/sbin|" /usr/share/applications/gslapt.desktop
Will add the vsuper command before gslapt is launched, so you can enter your root password.
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2007, 08:37:58 am »

Since I'd consider the use of Gslapt important.  Those that need a quick fix until it's resolved in the next release.  As root (terminal):
sed -i "s|/usr/sbin|vsuper /usr/sbin|" /usr/share/applications/gslapt.desktop
Will add the vsuper command before gslapt is launched, so you can enter your root password.

Thanks. Saved me manually editing the gslapt desktop file.

Gslapt itself still has a lot of problems here. I attempted to update 4 files earlier, and had it lock up 3 times. It eventually completed, but I had to kill it three times to get it to do so.

paul.
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2007, 08:47:24 am »

I think the logo should be incorporated in the welcome screen. Some advertisement is fine, but once you get down to business, the screen real estate should be dedicated to the task. The title bar will still show what you're working with.

I Agree... It looks good one time... but then it gets dorky after a while

We'll have to eliminate that.

The scripts that can not be run under X (like autosetup) should not be included.

With the freedom of motion that the GUI gives us, the launchers should only be one level deep. Better to add some categories to the left panel. That way we could eliminate some duplications as well. Thinking of it.. I'll start on that, just in case   Wink

That can be easily done without modifying the vasmCC code (except to add more categories)...

uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2007, 09:03:10 am »

I think the logo should be incorporated in the welcome screen. Some advertisement is fine, but once you get down to business, the screen real estate should be dedicated to the task. The title bar will still show what you're working with.

I Agree... It looks good one time... but then it gets dorky after a while

We'll have to eliminate that.

M0E,
I think you have misunderstood nightflier on this. I understood him as saying the vasmcc logo should only be seen in the welcome screen. and I think you read that as the welcome screen looks bad.
please correct me if my interpretations are incorrect.

IMO without the vasmcc logo at the top vasmcc will look too plain, and I think we need to have either a welcome screen or an about/help screen.

Uelsk8s
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  

Jump to: