VectorLinux
December 20, 2014, 11:02:42 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: VL-5.9-STD-RC1.3  (Read 18815 times)
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2007, 09:40:02 am »

I agree... the window without the vasmCC logo would look way too plain.

I still think the welcome message is kinda dorky after a while...

BTW... right-click the vasmCC .... Surprise! Wink

Like I said... it's a young project but I'm sure it will turn into a great application.

Should I add a menu for the help/about window? I had it on there, but it looked too simple to me, so I removed it

blurymind
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2007, 09:46:53 am »

vasm cc looks very nice.   Grin

status: playing around with new tablet and learning to 3d :p
google page :  http://blurymind.googlepages.com
DA PAGE :  http://www.blurymind.deviantart.com/
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2007, 09:48:06 am »

Yeah, I did not say the logo looked bad.

As far as plain goes, I like plain and uncluttered (my desktop is boring solid color, no icons, no quick launchers on panel, etc..).
My preference would be to have the logo only to appear in the welcome screen. But that may be just me.  Tongue
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2007, 09:51:37 am »

BTW... right-click the vasmCC .... Surprise!
Huh? Wha? Surprise?  I get nothing.  Exactly where and how? I want my Easter Egg!
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2007, 10:38:44 am »

Quote from: nightflier

Yeah, I did not say the logo looked bad.
Good. 'cuz I would have had to disagree with that one... I like that logo so much I put it as a wall paper on my phone Wink

Actually, I thought you were talking about the welcome message that comes up when you start it... the one that says "Welcome to the VASMCC ... blah...blah...blah"...
I'm saying that needs to go away.

Quote from: exeterdad
Huh? Wha? Surprise?  I get nothing.  Exactly where and how? I want my Easter Egg!

I wonder if I took it off after all...
I left it as a right-click event because I eliminated the menu (since it looked too plain)... but it used to be just right click anywhere on the graphic. I wasn't sure if there should be one or not.

rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2007, 11:05:48 am »

The logo looks great, the font used for "VASM" is perfect.
I think those task can't be made with X running should not be removed. Without them VasmCC will not be "Center" anymore. But a dialog could be added, asking "Do you want to kill X now?" or something like that; and then "Yes" could call init 2 and the script in question, once the task is ended, go back to the previous init. "Cancel" could just returns to VasmCC.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2007, 11:41:06 am »

The third time was the charm and I finally got RC1.3 installed on the troublesome Turion laptop. For the first time ever, the default kernel installed without hanging and I didn't have to select another kernel. I got my wireless with WPA going without much trouble except for the very laborious and cryptic way it has to be done. I have my nfs network working and am able to share files with my other Linux systems.

That's the good part. Now for the bad part: ONCE AGAIN, MY SOUND ISN'T WORKING! Same problem as before--Audacious shows bars when I play a music file but no sound comes from the speakers. Alsamixer calls it an HDA NVidia card with SigmaTel STAC9200 chip using the snd-hda-intel driver. The frustrating part is that sound worked perfectly right out of the box in RC1 with the 2.6.22.10sm kernel. I was expecting the same to continue with this kernel, but no. We're right back where we started. The *only* time sound has worked on this laptop was with RC1 and 2.6.22.10sm.

Please, please tell me what to do to get sound working. It's absolutely essential.

I haven't used GSlapt yet. I took a loot at VASMCC. It looks very nice with the icons and all and I'm sure would be more appealing to newbies than the text-look of VASM. However, when you click to get the actual setting in VASMCC, you're back at the text look and I find it kind of jarring. I believe spiffing that up is planned. It'll be a good addition. When I select File System-Backup System, I get this when I try to do a manual backup:
No /etc/backupsys.conf. Do nothing then.

This is cryptic. What creates /etc/backupsys.conf? There's no explanation for the user. In the past, Backup System automatically backed up a bunch of files in /etc. I don't understand what Backup System is supposed to do and how do I get it to do it manually?

I have a suggestion for /usr/share/fonts/TTF. There are many,many fonts for non-Western languages. This makes a very long font list and is of no use for those who aren't using a particular language. While I fully endorse having many language fonts available, they shouldn't be loaded for everyone by default. Why not put those non-Western language fonts into a directory of their own? It could be made a font directory and be listed in xorg.conf and fonts.conf, but could be easily turned off by those who don't need these fonts simply by putting a # at the beginning of the line for the non-Western font directory in xorg.conf. As it is now, I create a /usr/share/moved_fonts directory, move the /OTF and /cyrillic directories to moved_fonts, and go through /TTF so I can send the fonts I'll never use to /moved_fonts.

I haven't yet installed RC1.3 on my Celeron desktop and probably won't intall it on the Celeron laptop, as I like having a reference point for RC1.

Will report as I do more testing.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2007, 12:00:42 pm »

I haven't used GSlapt yet. I took a loot at VASMCC. It looks very nice with the icons and all and I'm sure would be more appealing to newbies than the text-look of VASM. However, when you click to get the actual setting in VASMCC, you're back at the text look and I find it kind of jarring. I believe spiffing that up is planned. It'll be a good addition.

I absolutely agree... in fact, I brought this up earlier.... and was thinking of a way around it, however, every possible way I can think of requires a complete re-write of vasm. I sure dont want to do that...

I personally hate the looks of Xdialog... especially on this day and age, that you can easily design better looking GUI's.

It'd be nice to have a full vasm GUI, but it is a lot of work, and I no longer have that kind of time in my hands.

It is possible to create an application like the current vasm in gambas2, using Text mode if GUI is not available and using GUI when X is running... but there is so much in vasm that I dont know... lots and lots of scripts... all of which would have to be re-worked to fit the new purpose.

But I do agree, it'd be a nice addition.

newt
Vectorian

« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2007, 12:20:29 pm »

I left it as a right-click event because I eliminated the menu (since it looked too plain)... but it used to be just right click anywhere on the graphic. I wasn't sure if there should be one or not.

#1 - The first rule of easter eggs is, you do not talk about easter eggs.
#2 - The second rule of easter eggs is, you DO NOT talk about easter eggs.
#3 - If someone finds the easter egg the fun is over.
Cheesy
The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2007, 12:59:34 pm »

After installing this version with vinstall-iso, I can't boot into it. This is the first time that happened for me. I get a kernel panic:
Kernel Panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown block(8,10)
Some more info: I installed on my sata drive, on sda10. I already tried "linux root=/dev/sda10" and "linux root=/dev/hda10", without success.
Unfortunately, /var/log/messages is empty, so I can't copy anything from there here. Let me know if more info is needed, I'll write down whatever messages you want Wink.

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
MikeCindi
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #40 on: November 15, 2007, 01:10:57 pm »

I also used vinstall-iso but had no problems...I'm not fortunate enough to have sata capability though. Overall rc1.3 has done well for me and my laptop but haven't had enough time with it yet to do my "pet" changes.

The plans of the diligent lead to profit...Pro. 21:5
VL64 7.1b3                                     RLU 486143
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #41 on: November 15, 2007, 01:27:47 pm »

#1 - The first rule of easter eggs is, you do not talk about easter eggs.
#2 - The second rule of easter eggs is, you DO NOT talk about easter eggs.
#3 - If someone finds the easter egg the fun is over.
Cheesy

Agreed!.. but it was not intended as an easter egg....

Although, it may not be a bad idea to add one Wink just for the fun of it.

GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #42 on: November 15, 2007, 01:57:05 pm »

Some more info: I installed on my sata drive, on sda10. I already tried "linux root=/dev/sda10" and "linux root=/dev/hda10", without success.
Unfortunately, /var/log/messages is empty, so I can't copy anything from there here. Let me know if more info is needed, I'll write down whatever messages you want Wink.

When you try linux root=/dev/sda10 etc., is "linux" the name of the kernel you installed? I assume you're trying to boot into Linux with the VL installation CD. If you do that, you have to use the exact name of the kernel you installed, such as linux, sata, linux2, sata2, or whatever option you actually used (I don't know which of those is the default for a RC1.3 installation).

You probably already know this and I'm not understanding what you've tried, but I thought I'd mention it just in case. Also, other people may not be aware of this because the CD just says to type
linux root=/dev/hda2 ro
or something like that and doesn't suggest or explain that that won't work if you used something other than the default kernel. You'll get a kernel panic. At least that's always been my experience.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #43 on: November 15, 2007, 02:03:53 pm »

After installing this version with vinstall-iso, I can't boot into it. This is the first time that happened for me. I get a kernel panic:
Kernel Panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown block(8,10)

The problem here is the way the new kernel sees SATA device (/dev/hd*)
If you install this iso using the vinstall-iso method with a kernel that sees SATA devices as /dev/sd* and install lilo you will not be able to boot.

we are looking into solutions to this.

Thanks,
 Uelsk8s
Lyn
Vectorian

« Reply #44 on: November 15, 2007, 02:11:17 pm »

Well it took 3 goes to download the iso but unfortunately it didn't install  without hiccups...  no resolution as yet of one problem, cant set up xorg.... I tried the vesa driver but no luck, couldn't set up for my i810 graphics chip, this has been a problem with other distros but not with Vector up to this point.  So back to a beta version for now....
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  

Jump to: