VectorLinux
December 22, 2014, 05:56:38 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: help on UPS status  (Read 1803 times)
arundracula

« on: November 14, 2007, 09:00:20 am »

I have an APC UPS with usb connected to my system.
I tried Mandriva live cd. It shows the status remaining time charged percentage.
How can I achieve that in Vector so that it displays status on the taskbar near clock?

Also I have an nVidia display driver. They says that to install, type "sh <filename>" after terminating X server. How can I terminate X server?

Re-installing is not a problem, but it is when I had to.
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2007, 09:33:37 am »

Also I have an nVidia display driver. They says that to install, type "sh <filename>" after terminating X server. How can I terminate X server?

I assume you get a graphical login screen. If so, type
init 2
at a terminal prompt and you'll be at a plain text console with no X running. I don't *think* you need to be root to run that command, but I'm not sure. To get back into X, type
startx
at the command prompt.

I prefer runlevel 2, so I can terminate X simply by logging out of my XFce desktop environment. But for runlevels 4 and 5, if you log out, it puts you back into X immediately.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: