VectorLinux
October 20, 2014, 05:48:36 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: adding programs to pannel in fluxbox?  (Read 1920 times)
kc1di
Packager
Vectorian

Morse Code Early digital mode. John 3:16

« on: November 14, 2007, 05:37:41 pm »

Hi all ,
I'm using the VL 5.9 RC1 and love it .. only one bug which is really annoying in XFCE so i'v been using Fluxbox and love the layout .. but am wondering
how one can add programs or delete them from the panel menu in Fluxbox wm?  any help appreciated.

The bug in XFCE on my machine any way is that when ever i try to open a terminal it crashes the x server.

Dave
( Living Somewhere in Maine USA)
Registered Linux User #462608
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2007, 05:56:17 pm »

You have to edit this file: /home/<your_user_name>/.fluxbox/menu
Just open it with your favorite text editor. The syntax is pretty clear, if you take a look to the existing lines.

HTH

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
kc1di
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2007, 03:05:26 am »

You have to edit this file: /home/<your_user_name>/.fluxbox/menu
Just open it with your favorite text editor. The syntax is pretty clear, if you take a look to the existing lines.

HTH

Thank you for your reply I already know about that file and the menu.. What I'm talking about is editing the panel menu the one that sits near the top of the screen and the programs in it enlarge when you run the cursor over them.. want to know how to edit that menu?

have a good day Smiley

Dave
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2007, 03:39:22 am »

Thank you for your reply I already know about that file and the menu.. What I'm talking about is editing the panel menu the one that sits near the top of the screen and the programs in it enlarge when you run the cursor over them.. want to know how to edit that menu?

That menu is provided by Wbar. To customize it, copy the file /usr/share/wbar/wbar.dot  to your home directory, under the name .wbar. You can then edit it to suit your needs.

The entries look like this:

Code:
i: /usr/share/icons/default/64x64/apps/SeaMonkey.png
c: seamonkey
t: SeaMonkey

where i is the path to the icon file, c is the command to execute and t is the title that appears when you move the mouse pointer over the icon.

Wbar can be touchy, so if it fails to appear after editing, start it from a terminal, using the command 'vlbar'. Done that way, you should get an error to point you in the direction of any problems in the .wbar file. 'wbar --help' from the command line will give you a break down of the command syntax, as will looking at /usr/bin/vlbar (its a script).

paul.
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2007, 04:44:04 am »

have a good day Smiley

Sorry about that, I misunderstood you. I will try to tweak wbar too when I get the time.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
kc1di
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2007, 03:27:52 am »

That menu is provided by Wbar. To customize it, copy the file /usr/share/wbar/wbar.dot  to your home directory, under the name .wbar. You can then edit it to suit your needs.

The entries look like this:

Code:
i: /usr/share/icons/default/64x64/apps/SeaMonkey.png
c: seamonkey
t: SeaMonkey

where i is the path to the icon file, c is the command to execute and t is the title that appears when you move the mouse pointer over the icon.

Wbar can be touchy, so if it fails to appear after editing, start it from a terminal, using the command 'vlbar'. Done that way, you should get an error to point you in the direction of any problems in the .wbar file. 'wbar --help' from the command line will give you a break down of the command syntax, as will looking at /usr/bin/vlbar (its a script).

paul.

Thank you that did the trick.

Dave
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: