VectorLinux
April 24, 2014, 09:38:38 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [SOLVED] xane 0.001 ScanJet 4300 scan/print error  (Read 3951 times)
reb
Vectorite

The BOSS

« on: November 15, 2007, 12:30:18 pm »

I'm using a HP ScanJet 4300C with the 'sane' driver. 
       "            HP LaserJet 1100  (an older printer but still works great)
I'm running Vl 5.8 SOHO 'final' on a dedicated linux box. No windows, just linux.
My HP LaserJet 1100 is working fine.
I have configured and updated the "sane" driver or program or whatever it is. (yes I'm very new at this)

When I run the command "xsane"  the scan window comes up and I have it configured to send the output to the printer.  The preview looks very good, but when it tries to output to the printer I get the following error mesgs each in a separate, progressive error window.

Error during save:  Broken pipe
Error during save:   Success
Failed to execute "printercommand: "lpr"

I will appreciate any and all suggestions Grin

rebel
« Last Edit: November 22, 2007, 08:04:19 am by JohnB316 » Logged

Ye Ole Montana Saddle Tramp
Nothing is right or wrong, good or bad, only thinking makes it so.  Think about it.
Running a Vector Linux VL3300 with 1 SATA 80GB HDD and 1GB DDR 400 ram, DVD+-RW , and VL 5.9 Delux
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2007, 02:35:29 pm »

Is it possible to save the scan to a image on your hard drive and then try printing from another application?
JohnB316
Administrator
Vectorian

Registered Linux User #386728

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2007, 11:43:00 am »

I'm using a HP ScanJet 4300C with the 'sane' driver. 
       "            HP LaserJet 1100  (an older printer but still works great)
I'm running Vl 5.8 SOHO 'final' on a dedicated linux box. No windows, just linux.
My HP LaserJet 1100 is working fine.
I have configured and updated the "sane" driver or program or whatever it is. (yes I'm very new at this)

When I run the command "xsane"  the scan window comes up and I have it configured to send the output to the printer.  The preview looks very good, but when it tries to output to the printer I get the following error mesgs each in a separate, progressive error window.

Error during save:  Broken pipe
Failed to execute "printercommand: "lpr"

I will appreciate any and all suggestions Grin

rebel

Rebel,

With your scanner connected, open a terminal. Type the following commands at the prompt:

Code:
sane-find-scanner
scanimage -L

The "sane-find-scanner" command should find your scanner and tell you that it has found it. The "scanimage -L" (that's an upper-case "L") command lists the sane backend that's needed to run your scanner. According to information from the SANE project page, your scanner should be using the niash backend.

After you have run the commands, please post the terminal output from those commands in this thread. We want to make sure that the SANE system is finding your scanner correctly first before doing further troubleshooting on the broken pipes issue.

Thanks,
John

VL 6.0 SOHO latest alpha on one box, VL 5.9 Lite on the other.
reb
Vectorite

The BOSS

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2007, 07:19:22 pm »

sane-find-scanner, returned:
  found USB scanner (vendor-0x0f03f0, product=0x0305) at libusb:3:2

scanimage _L, returned
  device `nish:libusb:3:2' is a Hewlett-Packard ScanJet 4300C flatbed scanner

It appears to me this is what we wanted to find.  right??

rebel

Nothing is right or wrong, good or bad, only thinking makes it so.  Think about it.
Running a Vector Linux VL3300 with 1 SATA 80GB HDD and 1GB DDR 400 ram, DVD+-RW , and VL 5.9 Delux
JohnB316
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2007, 05:57:40 am »

sane-find-scanner, returned:
  found USB scanner (vendor-0x0f03f0, product=0x0305) at libusb:3:2

scanimage _L, returned
  device `nish:libusb:3:2' is a Hewlett-Packard ScanJet 4300C flatbed scanner

It appears to me this is what we wanted to find.  right??

rebel

Yes, that's correct. The SANE system is recognizing your scanner, so that's good. However, I do want to help you with troubleshooting the printing problem from xsane. I'm not at a box equipped with a scanner at the moment. However, tomorrow I should be at my other box, which has both a scanner and a printer connected to it. I'll see if I can reproduce your problem and sort out how to fix it then.

Thanks,
John

JohnB316
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2007, 10:35:55 pm »

Rebel,

I think I have some additional insight into fixing your problem. I started xsane from a terminal, in part so that I could see any error messages that might not show up when you start xsane from the menu. Sure enough, I got an error message that relates to your broken pipes issue:

Code:
lpr: Error - no default destination available.

Basically, this error message means that the lpr program can't find the default printer for your box. That's why you got the "broken pipes" error dialog. To get rid of that error, you'll need to define a default printer for your box. The easiest way is to do this through the CUPS web interface. These steps also assume that you have previously set up a printer via the CUPS web interface.

1) Open a web browser and type 127.0.0.1:631 in the address bar.

2) Once the CUPS web interface is open, click on the "Manage Printers" button.

3) Once the list of printers appears, click on the "Set as Default" button for the printer that you want to be the default.

Once you've done this, you should be able to print a scanned image directly from xsane. At least I was able to after I did this. ;-)

HTH,
John

reb
Vectorite

The BOSS

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2007, 07:13:57 pm »

Rebel,

I think I have some additional insight into fixing your problem.
Code:
lpr: Error - no default destination available.

1) Open a web browser and type 127.0.0.1:631 in the address bar.

2) Once the CUPS web interface is open, click on the "Manage Printers" button.

3) Once the list of printers appears, click on the "Set as Default" button for the printer that you want to be the default.

Once you've done this, you should be able to print a scanned image directly from xsane. At least I was able to after I did this. ;-)

John:

When the CUPS webpage came up, I clicked on "Manage Printers"
The next page contained:
The top half of the page had a "search bar" which I didn't need because the bottom half contained:
  Description:  HP LaserJet 1100
  Make & Model: HP LaserJet 1100-cups+Gutenprint v5.0.0
  Printer State: idle, accepting jobs
  Device URI? parallel:/dev/lp0

Now at this point is the empty "Location" a problem?

When I click on "Set As Default" button I get a dropdown" window asking:
  "Enter username and password for "CUPS" at http:// 127.0.0.1:631".

Problem is it won't accept any combination of user name and pass word that I have/ Embarrassed 
Am I suppose to register with the "CUPS" web site with a unique name and password, and use that Huh

So at this point I'm dead in the water. Undecided

rebel

lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2007, 08:00:21 pm »

Now at this point is the empty "Location" a problem?
No. that "location" is simply the place where the printer is located, for reference in large installations where they might have a large number of printers. It is OK if it is blank.
When I click on "Set As Default" button I get a dropdown" window asking:
  "Enter username and password for "CUPS" at http:// 127.0.0.1:631".
Problem is it won't accept any combination of user name and pass word that I have/ Embarrassed 
CUPS is asking you for username "root" and root's password.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2007, 08:03:37 pm by lagagnon » Logged

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
JohnB316
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2007, 08:38:12 pm »

To add to Larry's reply, if you find that you cannot make changes to CUPS as the root user, then you'll need to file a bug report against the version of VL that you are using.

HTH,
John

reb
Vectorite

The BOSS

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2007, 02:39:08 pm »

My many thanks to both, you John and Larry.

Before I ask my question, I think you need some more background on my situation.

I purchased my linux box with VL 5.8 SOHO "final version"  pre-installed. The  instructions that came with the box included:
  User name:   "madtux"
  Password:   "madtux"
The instructions went on to say:  "we recommend that after starting the system,  you change that you change the "user name", "user password", "root password", which I did.  Please note:  It said nothing about a "root user name".  I never needed one because when I used the terminal, I simply used the "su" command and added my new su password, I was in "su mode".
Now being new to linux, I simply assumed that this was normal. VASM  does not have any place to add a "root user name". 

Now, to make a long story shorter, "CUPS" will not accept any combination of my user name and pass words, so I'm stopped right there.

Finally my question: Since I am new to linux, and I have never had to file a bug report, "How and to whom do I file a 'bug report' "? Embarrassed

rebel

rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2007, 02:49:19 pm »

Hi reb, the username for root is... root. Write root as username and then your password, as in the su command.
I think VL has an official bug handler at sourceforge.com, but actually nobody use it, I have been sniffing there(perhaps is a good idea to start with it). I guess you should just post an accurated description of your problem, the exact version of vl you are using and a description of your hardware at the distro development forum.
Now to wait for the experts again...
« Last Edit: November 21, 2007, 02:59:16 pm by rbistolfi » Logged

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2007, 02:58:03 pm »

The instructions went on to say:  "we recommend that after starting the system,  you change that you change the "user name", "user password", "root password", which I did.  Please note:  It said nothing about a "root user name".  I never needed one because when I used the terminal, I simply used the "su" command and added my new su password, I was in "su mode".
Now being new to linux, I simply assumed that this was normal. VASM  does not have any place to add a "root user name". 

The name of the root acount is root. You can't change that. So you don't need a place to add a "root user name." All you need to do is change the root password. To use su, you must give the root password.

Did you use Ubuntu before getting VL SOHO? Ubuntu does not conform to standard Linux practice and uses sudo instead of su. I'm suspicious of this from a security standpoint because it would seem to give root privileges to any user through sudo. The whole idea of Linux security is that certain functions can be done only by root, even if root and a user are the same person.

Now, to make a long story shorter, "CUPS" will not accept any combination of my user name and pass words, so I'm stopped right there.

If you start CUPS through VASM (VASM, Super, Service, CUPSWEB), you'll be in CUPS as root. What I've always done with the CUPS user name and password dialog is use the user name and password of any user I want to be able to make administrative changes to the printers. I'm the only user, so the user name and password are my own user name and password. This has always worked. You do have to be running the browser as root in order to do this. If you start CUPS as a user, you'll have to type root in the user name box and the root password in the password box. Unless, that is, root already gave your user name and password as one allowed to make changes in CUPS.

Try CUPS again and this time use the name "root" (no quotes) and the root password. It should work.
--GrannyGeek.

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
reb
Vectorite

The BOSS

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2007, 07:30:37 pm »

Thank you GrannyGeek and all of you that have helped me.  I would list all of your names, but you know who you are.

GrannyGeek, your suggestion of entering cups through VASM did the trick. Always before I accessed CUPS through the web address "http://127.0.0.1:631.  I have no idea what the difference is, but when I accessed it through VASM, I entered "root", as I had done many times before, then entered my su password.  This time I got another CUPS page listing my printer at the "top" of the page. I then pressed the "print test page" and it spit it out beautifully.  I then put a page in the scanner and at the "run" command typed "xsane".  The scan page came up and scanned the page and held my breath, but not for long because it sent the scan to my printer and printed it.   

For those of you who might be following this thread, and have the same problem, "try it" it just might work for you too. Cheesy

It looks like we did it. Once again thanks to all of yu

rebel

GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2007, 10:49:13 pm »

I'm very happy to hear it worked for you.

If you ever need to run a browser as root, just open a terminal, su to root, type
firefox
or
opera
or
seamonkey
at the prompt. You will now be running your browser as root. Don't ever do this unless you absolutely need to because if you picked up some malware through the browser (unlikely with Linux but possible), it could affect the entire system. When you run your browser as user, any malware would affect only your user account.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2007, 04:14:22 pm »

Way to go Reb! Glad you hung in there and got it whooped.  Wink  Good job everyone else too.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: