VectorLinux
August 23, 2014, 05:01:21 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [SOLVED] Sounds in VL 5.8 SOHO, KDE desktop  (Read 2118 times)
jahlen

« on: November 15, 2007, 09:04:44 pm »

Hi All,

Back with VL after a couple years with Slackware.  Upgraded to Slack 12, but that seemed a bit buggy.  So rather than going back to 11.0, I figured I'd give VL another try instead of rebuilding a desktop out of 11.0.

VL's running great -- everything I want, straight out of the box. 

Only thing...How do you turn off the annoying sounds that accompany closing/opening applications?  I've been all through the control panel, but can't find the switch to throw.

Thanks in advance,

jahlen
« Last Edit: November 18, 2007, 10:18:24 pm by JohnB316 » Logged
The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2007, 11:36:26 pm »

It is in the control panel after all Cheesy.

More people missed it at first, so I uploaded this screenshot a while ago, it shows how to disable all those annoying sounds.

I can't imagine anyone thinking "hey, having a silly sound whenever I do something is a really nice touch!". I wonder why they are on in the default kde config...

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2007, 04:16:16 am »

I wonder why they are on in the default kde config...
Could it by any chance be because they are on by default in MS Windows?   Angry
As discussed in another current thread, Linux keeps trying to become Windows... Roll Eyes

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2007, 01:42:22 pm »

Could it by any chance be because they are on by default in MS Windows?   Angry
As discussed in another current thread, Linux keeps trying to become Windows... Roll Eyes

And they're just as bad in Windows. But I've actually met people who want the sounds. I once offered to disable them for someone and she said "no." And she's not the only one.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2007, 02:53:59 pm »

But I've actually met people who want the sounds.
Hehe, me too. But like I said before, who said most people are rational?    Grin

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2007, 05:10:35 am »

And they're just as bad in Windows.

I turn them off in winDOS too. I often have music playing on my laptop, whether in Windows or Linux, and if you have the volume 'sort of' loud one of those sounds ( like the warning "Boink" ) can give you a good startle. I don't want any programs to make sound unless they are programs that are supposed to make sound ( media players for instance ). All the rest is just plain annoying IMO.

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
jahlen

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2007, 08:14:26 pm »

Thanks folks  -- Skipped right past that section of the control panel.

BTW, VL is da bomb!!! -- and now it's a quiet one.

jahlen
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: