VectorLinux
August 23, 2014, 01:07:07 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hey there!  (Read 1342 times)
Mihail121-tera

« on: November 17, 2007, 11:28:07 am »

Hello! My name's Mihail Ivanchev (short: Mischo) and I'm a 20 year old computer science student in Berlin, Germany. I'm originally from Bulgaria though. Anyway, I'm quite used to working with *NIX but this was sort of a new experience for me. I bought an old Celeron (733 MHz) with 128 RAM and onboard video with 4 MB. I was therefore looking for a lightweight distribution and came across VecLin for the first time (I knew it exists though). I downloaded the standard version and the joy began. Now, 4 months later, I think it's the best distribution for such PCs out there. The fact, that it's based on Slackware, makes it just PERFECT. I've always tried SOHO on my notebook, but I prefer staying with Gentoo there. Anyway, I was amazed how stable it is, after several hard reboots the system is still spotless, it's fast, it integrades with nearly EVERYTHING and it comes with a lot of usefull software preinstalled. Although not as configurable as Gentoo, the installation procedure is very flexible, easy going and nice. ALSA drivers also work perfect for my AC'97.

The bad thing I had to discover is the totaly unstable support for ATI devices. I bought a PCI Radeon recently, which the X Setup of Vector can't configurate propertly due to some heavy bug somewhere, which I haven't discovered yet. Therefore I would wish for a better ATI support in the new 5.9 release which I'm already looking for!!!

The lack of the "GV" suite for viewing PS files and a TeX-package are also somewhat sad. The GAIM should also be definetely changed to PIDGIN in the new release.

But otherwise I'm 100% satisfied. I teach students myself and the distribution includes everything one would need for the process of writing, correcting and uploading tasks of any kind.

Oh, the most important thing, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!!! upload the cdrtools suite and any software that deals with burning CDs!!!! The SCSI emulation is no longer required for 2.6.* kernels and I couldn't burn a single CD with vec lin so far..

But any way! If you need a developer or tester, just give me a call. I would like to see VectorLinux growing in power and might!

JohnB316
Administrator
Vectorian

Registered Linux User #386728

« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2007, 11:45:56 am »

Mischo,

Welcome to VectorLinux! From the comments you've made, it sounds as though you're using an older version of VL. The newest versions include Pidgin rather than Gaim. As far as the GV and LaTeX tools go, you can always get Slackware packages for them and install them. Stock Slackware packages should work just fine with VL. ;-)

Hope this helps,
John

VL 6.0 SOHO latest alpha on one box, VL 5.9 Lite on the other.
Mihail121-tera

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2007, 11:52:33 am »

Well, I'm using the Standard 5.8, which only includes those. Otherwise I'm confident that the Slackware packaging system works, which I fould quite nice. To be honest I find it cool, that one is so close to the system (not like in (K)Ubuntu for example). I would really appreciate if the issue with the ATI devices gets resolved some time soon. I know in particular that the Linux drivers of ATI are piece of ... Anyway, Vector's a great distribution. Glad I tried it! Smiley))
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2007, 12:31:11 pm »

Mihail121,
Welcome to VectorLinux.
We always need more developers, and testers.
PM vec with what you would like to do as far as development goes and he can help you there.
We are testing VL-5.9 and the best thing you can do to help with that would be to download the latest test version and submit bug reports and suggestions.

Thanks,
Uelsk8s
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: