VectorLinux
August 28, 2014, 01:06:52 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: upgrade to 5.9  (Read 1591 times)
boilertech

« on: November 18, 2007, 05:10:26 pm »

I just downloaded and installed 5.8 SOHO (didn't know what soho was LOL). Anyways, Is there a way to upgrade to 5.9 from 5.8?
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2007, 05:23:47 pm »

Other than reinstalling, no. If you want a stable distro stick with 5.8SOHO until such time as 5.9 goes final. It is still just a release candidate, and is the Standard version of VL (uses xfce, not KDE, and is slimmer). 5.9SOHO won't be ready for probably many months.

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
gafran

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2007, 02:50:43 pm »

I am trying VL 5.9 rc1 right now.It's excellent.Just a problem:i can't get rid of us keyboard map in any way.
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2007, 04:38:39 pm »

I am trying VL 5.9 rc1 right now.It's excellent.Just a problem:i can't get rid of us keyboard map in any way.

If you mean in X, then you need to edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf (as root). Look for this section:

Code:
Section "InputDevice"
Identifier  "Keyboard0"
Driver      "kbd"
Option  "XkbLayout"  "gb"    ## KEYBOARD_MAP!
Option  "XkbModel"  "pc102"    ## KEYBOARD_MODEL!
Option  "Xkbvariant"  ""    ## KEYBOARD_VARIANT!
EndSection

and change "XkbLayout" to suit your requirements.

I had the same problem with RC1, but its been fixed in the later RCs..

paul.
gafran

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2007, 01:51:39 am »

Thank you,toothandnail.In my /etc/x11 there are xorg.conf-fbdev and xorg.conf.-in. Should i edit both of them?There's also xorg.conf-vesa but it's blank.Another question:where did you get VL 5.9 rc2?The latest version on Distrowatch is rc1.
P.S.:I have changed both files like this but no way:
Code:
Section "InputDevice"
Identifier  "Keyboard0"
Driver      "kbd"
Option  "XkbLayout"  "it"    ## KEYBOARD_MAP!
Option  "XkbModel"  "pc105"    ## KEYBOARD_MODEL!
EndSection
Where am i mistaking?
« Last Edit: November 20, 2007, 02:21:59 am by gafran » Logged
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2007, 03:16:00 am »

Thank you,toothandnail.In my /etc/x11 there are xorg.conf-fbdev and xorg.conf.-in. Should i edit both of them?There's also xorg.conf-vesa but it's blank.

That sounds as though there has been a problem during the install. There should be a file simply called xorg.conf.  Its also strange that xorg.conf-vesa is blank - that is usually a safe fall-back option when the video card is not correctly identified. What video card does your machine have?

Another question:where did you get VL 5.9 rc2?The latest version on Distrowatch is rc1.

Grin Have a look in the forum. For instance, check this out:

http://www.vectorlinux.com/forum2/index.php?topic=4785.msg31524#msg31524

P.S.:I have changed both files like this but no way:
Code:
Section "InputDevice"
Identifier  "Keyboard0"
Driver      "kbd"
Option  "XkbLayout"  "it"    ## KEYBOARD_MAP!
Option  "XkbModel"  "pc105"    ## KEYBOARD_MODEL!
EndSection
Where am i mistaking?

I'm afraid that wouldn't help - you really need a correct /etc/X11/xorg.conf. That is the only file that X will read during startup for settings.

paul.
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2007, 04:58:09 am »

Hi, gafran, I suspect the installer never reached the X auto configuration, and the xorg file was not generated, is that possible? You can run it again from VASM, or open a console and as root, run vxconf. If we have no luck with that, I just could send you the xorg-vesa and you can start from there. That is if everything else works properly and the installer completed the main part of the install.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
gafran

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2007, 08:09:59 am »

All fixed with "vxconf".May i delete xorg.conf-fb dev and xorg.conf.in now?xorg.conf-vesa is still blank but my video drivers are ATI-radeon.Thank you all so much Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: