VectorLinux
September 02, 2014, 06:26:51 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: VectorLinux5.9-rc-1.8 bugs/annoyances  (Read 2536 times)
carlo

« on: November 24, 2007, 10:17:06 pm »

HI, not sure If this is the correct place to post since I installed RC-1.8, but I don't see a thread yet

While installing I chose spanish keyboard and I still got english layout. at the end when it asks you which layout you want to use for the graphical and console environment I chose Latin American for the graphical mode.. after rebooting and coming to the loging screen, everything I typed appeared in some strange language.. maybe hebrew, or arabian.. I don't know what it was.. I had to edit xorg file from the console and restart xorg to log in....

by the way I can't survive with Japanese support and I couldn't find scim which I used in SOHO 5.8... I hope you consider it please.

my hardware except for the modem and wireless card was recognized and it's seems to work fine (since I don't use neither the modem nor the wireless no complains)
DELL inspiron 5100
Pentium 4 2.4Ghz
512 ram
Ati mobility Lw7 (radeon 7500)

« Last Edit: November 25, 2007, 01:01:38 am by The Headacher » Logged

JohnB316
Administrator
Vectorian

Registered Linux User #386728

« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2007, 07:06:20 am »

HI, not sure If this is the correct place to post since I installed RC-1.8, but I don't see a thread yet

While installing I chose spanish keyboard and I still got english layout. at the end when it asks you which layout you want to use for the graphical and console environment I chose Latin American for the graphical mode.. after rebooting and coming to the loging screen, everything I typed appeared in some strange language.. maybe hebrew, or arabian.. I don't know what it was.. I had to edit xorg file from the console and restart xorg to log in....

That's very strange - it could well be a font encoding issue. Thanks for pointing out this problem. We would appreciate it if other users whose primary language is not US English try to set up the environment in their native language (if the choice is offered during installation) and see whether you are able to replicate the same behavior that carlo observed.

by the way I can't survive with Japanese support and I couldn't find scim which I used in SOHO 5.8... I hope you consider it please.

---snip---

We will build scim and skim packages for VL 5.9 to make it as usable as possible. Please let us know which particular additional language packages are needed to go with the main scim package for your situation. It would also be helpful if you are able to provide URL's to the home pages for those language packages, since I don't read Oriental languages at all.

If there are other VL users who can benefit from scim being included, please post the particular package you need in the New Packages Request thread. Give us a couple of days to have those packages available in the repository. Thanks very much.

Cheers,
John

VL 6.0 SOHO latest alpha on one box, VL 5.9 Lite on the other.
carlo

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2007, 09:24:33 am »

thanks for changing my post to the correct place m(_ _)m

regarding the problem with the strange symbols when I first tried to login into xfe4 I think the problem is only when you choose your keyboard layout as "Latin American" in the installation process.

it generates the following entry in xorg.conf

Code:
Section "InputDevice"
Identifier  "Keyboard0"
Driver      "kbd"
Option  "XkbLayout"  "la"    ## KEYBOARD_MAP!
Option  "XkbModel"  "pc104"    ## KEYBOARD_MODEL!
Option  "Xkbvariant"  ""    ## KEYBOARD_VARIANT!

just by changing
Code:
Option  "XkbLayout"  "la"    ## KEYBOARD_MAP!
to
Code:
Option  "XkbLayout"  "us"    ## KEYBOARD_MAP!
and reloading the x server the strange symbols disappeared and I could type in correctly my username and password

I Mepis I had  "la-latin1" which I just tried in Vector's configuration and it works... I get my Latin American keyboard working correctly ... So maybe the solution is just to tell the installation script to put "la-latin1" instead of just "la" in xorg. I haven't changed anything else in xorg...

-----
regarding the Japanese input ,this thread http://www.vectorlinux.com/forum2/index.php?topic=685.0 for my 5.8
is a good start
scim / scim-anthy /anthy and some japanese fonts
and don't know if with this is enough to have Japanese input in all applications... I think scim-gtk2-immodule / scim-qtimm /scim-bridge are requiered

about fonts I found this site, where they have many fonts for many languages....
http://www.wazu.jp/

I use Japanese input but I also require Korean (Hangul) and Chinese fonts and it would be great to have them in the repositories....
I think the most common fonts for this languages are:
kochi-mincho /  sazanami (japanese)
Baekmuk (hangul)
Huh (chinese) [any will do I think]

-------------------
Grub

Today I also noticed that grub didn't configured correctly the entry for my Mepis partition and that it added entry for a fat partition which has no OS but i use for sharing files between Windows & Linux

thanks m(_ _)m

JohnB316
Administrator
Vectorian

Registered Linux User #386728

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2007, 10:15:50 am »

Carlo,

If I build a qt-3.3.8 that is patched with Daisuke's immodule-qt patch, you shouldn't need to have scim-qtimm. I could be wrong on that, however, but I don't think I am.

Applications built with a patched Qt-3.3.8 will be compatible with the unpatched Qt-3.3.8 that is presently on the VL 5.9 ISO's. I plan on having a patched Qt built in the next day or so. Thanks for your patience with us.

Cheers,
John

VL 6.0 SOHO latest alpha on one box, VL 5.9 Lite on the other.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: