VectorLinux
April 24, 2014, 03:15:31 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8
  Print  
Author Topic: Hammer Time rc-1.7  (Read 23360 times)
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #45 on: November 20, 2007, 04:05:35 pm »

Just to report good things. I installed the kdewebdev package and everything works but quanta and some other complains about libkhtml.
Upgrading kdelibs from the repo fixed the problem.
Installed some stuff I am used to without problems, like jedit and cssed.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #46 on: November 20, 2007, 04:07:22 pm »

Full screen modes still crashes and kills X.

Pita, I think i finally have this fixed.
please install the driver here: http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/Uelsk8s/xf86-video-savage-2.1.3-i586-1vl59.tlz

let us know if it works.
Thanks,
Uelsk8s
Lyn
Vectorian

« Reply #47 on: November 20, 2007, 04:29:33 pm »

Lyn,
what was the problem with th intel driver?

Just does not produce a usable screen, when in X all you have is a screen with random lines of colour, ie it doesn't display at all. 
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #48 on: November 20, 2007, 06:42:41 pm »

granny,
can you try this package of VLwifi and let me know if it will get your connection up on its own?

When I started up the laptop today, the connection was up and I was able to ping the router. I didn't have to run wifi-radar after I started XFce. So maybe we're okay with the wireless. I'll see how things go when I start tomorrow.

Do you want me to try the package anyway? I'd have to remove what I did by hand, I think, in order to get a true picture of whether it can get my connection up without a lot of hand editing. I'm willing to try if it would be helpful.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #49 on: November 20, 2007, 06:49:15 pm »

granny,
can you try this package of VLwifi and let me know if it will get your connection up on its own?

When I started up the laptop today, the connection was up and I was able to ping the router. I didn't have to run wifi-radar after I started XFce. So maybe we're okay with the wireless. I'll see how things go when I start tomorrow.

Do you want me to try the package anyway? I'd have to remove what I did by hand, I think, in order to get a true picture of whether it can get my connection up without a lot of hand editing. I'm willing to try if it would be helpful.
--GrannyGeek
If you can test it would be great.
also if you can tell me all the steps you had to do by hand I can make sure to get them covered.

Thanks,
Uelsk8s
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #50 on: November 20, 2007, 07:11:05 pm »

I installed RC1.7 on my Celeron desktop today. The floppy drive was recognized (it wasn't in RC1.3), so I was able to put LILO on a floppy. My SCSI scanner is working. nfs home network set up easily and is working well. On that computer the "mount other partitions" part of the installation did not see my FAT32 Windows drives. It saw only the NTFS drives. Mounting them with VASM after the installation was complete worked fine and the file systems for all the Windows partitions were correctly identified. On my laptop, the "mount other partitions" part of the installation did see my FAT32 Windows drive.

I detest xterm. I haven't experienced problems with XFce's Terminal, so I put that back as the default terminal and modified the Launcher to start Terminal instead of xterm. The computer has an ATI Radeon 9200 video card and I tried having VASM create the ATI proprietary driver, but it reported an error. I'm using the open-source radeon driver and it's working fine. When 5.9 goes gold, I may try installing the ATI driver from ATI's Web site.

Audacious can't play MP3s. Is it unable or is mine not working right? I installed RealPlayer and it is playing MP3s without difficulty, as is MPlayer.

I hope to install printers tomorrow. Will also test removable drives and gslapt, if I have time.

So far so good on two computers. I'd like to try installing on my newer Athlon 64 desktop replacing my wonderful 5.8 Standard, but with American Thanksgiving this Thursday, I may not have time.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #51 on: November 20, 2007, 08:30:47 pm »

Full screen modes still crashes and kills X.

Pita, I think i finally have this fixed.
please install the driver here: http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/Uelsk8s/xf86-video-savage-2.1.3-i586-1vl59.tlz

let us know if it works.
Thanks,
Uelsk8s

Hurrah, hurrah, hurrah!
You made it. Big bear hug.
Works like a dandy.

Apropos burnig CDs with new iso issues. I found that I had to burn only the first VL5.9 issue. After that, putting that CD into the player I am asked which iso I want to install giving me one choice after the other of the VL*.iso I have on the HD. I find that really neat.

Many thanks Uelsk, I am sure I will sleep better now and may be you too.
MikeCindi
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #52 on: November 20, 2007, 08:44:26 pm »

So far no issues on my laptop. Going back to the 2.6.22.12 kernel removed the support for my TRENDnet TEW-424UB USB wireless adapter (rtl8187)...not that I got it working in RC1.3. The rtl8187l package from realtek doesn't compile on my machine either so I'm waiting for a new version or something better to come along. Perhaps if I get time over the long weekend (Thanksgiving) I'll add the 2.6.23.1 (or ...Cool kernel and try the wireless again. Also more time just "playing around" trying to break things.  Tongue
« Last Edit: November 20, 2007, 08:46:48 pm by mikecindi » Logged

The plans of the diligent lead to profit...Pro. 21:5
VL64 7.1b3                                     RLU 486143
easuter
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #53 on: November 21, 2007, 12:05:59 am »

mikecindi, you may want to wait for 2.6.24 instead Cheesy
2.6.24 RC3 was released on Saturday, so a final release should be close Wink

Lyn
Vectorian

« Reply #54 on: November 21, 2007, 12:22:58 am »

I should also say the hardware detection at install does not properly configure the graphics with my i810 chip, it drops in to the hand modify option.  If you enter mcedit and save without any changes you get the intel generic driver, which does not produce a working Xwindows.   
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #55 on: November 21, 2007, 01:05:18 am »

I've just started using my newly installed RC1.7. Looks great so far.

I then tried to run Wifi-radar, but it wouldn't connect. Nothing worked until I hand edited /etc/wifi-radar/wifi-radar.conf. This would probably put a newbie into a tizzy, but it's now working fine and I'm writing this in SeaMonkey.

Great job! Thanks so much.
--GrannyGeek

I have the same problem with my Davicom eth card. Unless I edit several things by hand I cannot connect. And that holds true for all slack based distros and I wonder why it can't be fixed. DSL and before Fedora4 can/could do it right. In zenwalk, whatever I did I could not connect at all.
Witek Mozga
Vectorite

« Reply #56 on: November 21, 2007, 02:58:31 am »

I need as many people with wireless to test VLwifi.  its in the network menu.

It worked for me and my USB zd1211rw driver (I modified /etc/modprobe.conf and /etc/ifplugd/ifplugd.conf before I tried it)

In the beginning I tried vasm to make my wifi running but it failed. As I said in other topic, there is something broken with vasm, as I can configure wireless interface only once and then I cannot change settings. It was the same with RC1.7.
Then I tried VLwifi and it worked! However when I rebooted wifi was down though I checked it should start at boot. I tried to make it up with VLwifi - with vain untill I tried vasm again and later VLwifi, then it worked.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2007, 04:31:36 am by wm » Logged

Witek Mozga
Vectorite

« Reply #57 on: November 21, 2007, 03:12:48 am »

We added kdelibs,  k3b and kdesu 

K3B complained about cdrecord permission when I tried to burn data CD, it complained that kdesu cannot be run. I had to run k3bsetup from root account to repair file permissions.
I also have problems when burning CD iso (the same for SOHO and other distros so I`m not sure if software or hardware is to blame)

nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #58 on: November 21, 2007, 04:53:09 am »

I need as many people with wireless to test VLwifi

Disclaimer: I'm not very savvy with wifi, only have it so that my kids can connect their laptops when they visit.

My card shows up as "RaLink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI". Driver not included in this RC, so downloaded from serialmonkey (rt61-cvs-2007112105) and compiled/installed.

Both vasm and VLwifi will configure and connect to an unprotected access point. Using wpa-psk I am unable to connect either way.
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #59 on: November 21, 2007, 08:07:08 am »

To add to the report of K3B not working for normal user: When trying to run k3bsetup from K3B "settings" menu:
Code:
Could not find dkesu to run K3bSetup with root privileges. Please run it manually as root
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8
  Print  

Jump to: