VectorLinux
August 28, 2014, 07:09:04 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8
  Print  
Author Topic: Hammer Time rc-1.7  (Read 24536 times)
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #60 on: November 21, 2007, 08:16:12 am »

To add to the report of K3B not working for normal user: When trying to run k3bsetup from K3B "settings" menu:
Code:
Could not find dkesu to run K3bSetup with root privileges. Please run it manually as root
moving the kdesu files to /usr/bin will fix this
Code:
mv /sbin/kdesu* /usr/bin/
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #61 on: November 21, 2007, 08:20:44 am »

I should also say the hardware detection at install does not properly configure the graphics with my i810 chip, it drops in to the hand modify option.  If you enter mcedit and save without any changes you get the intel generic driver, which does not produce a working Xwindows.   
Lyn,
we need as much info from your system as we can get in order to try and solve this.
can you post the output of lsmod and lspci as root?
the intel driver is supposed to work for your card.
the intel website says you need to have the agpgart, intel-agp, drm and i915 modules loaded before starting xorg.
try manually loading these modules and then starting X with the intel driver.

Thanks,
Uelsk8s
MikeCindi
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #62 on: November 21, 2007, 11:11:03 am »

I had a similar problem as Lyn's with the beta releases. My laptop has an intel chipset (855GM I think) and uses i915 and intel-agp. When the ATI and NVIDIA drivers became selectable items I deselected them in rc1 and 1.7 (don't recall what I did with rc1.3) and all was well again. Go figure... Perhaps there is still an issue there. I'll try reloading 1.7 with the ATI and NVIDIA options intact and report back.

The plans of the diligent lead to profit...Pro. 21:5
VL64 7.1b3                                     RLU 486143
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #63 on: November 21, 2007, 01:06:15 pm »

granny,
can you try this package of VLwifi and let me know if it will get your connection up on its own?
http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/Uelsk8s/VLwifi-0.2-noarch-1vl59.tlz

Your new file fixed the problem! Great work!

To test, I restored the original /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf file and the original /etc/wifi-radar/wifi-radar.conf file. I installed the new VLwifi and rebooted. When VL came up ifconfig showed that wlan0 was up, but it didn't have its fixed IP address. Ping did not reach my router ("Network is unreachable," I think). I then started XFce and started Network-->VLwifi. I filled in all the entries--nice to have the fixed DNS server option. OKed my way out, started SeaMonkey, and I was connected to the Net.

I then rebooted to see if the connection would come up and be ready to use. I opened a terminal and pinged my router. Then I started Opera and all the tabs I keep open permanently were connected. I then mounted the directory for my nfs networked computer (mount /mnt/hall). Loaded immediately.

I didn't have to do any hand configuring once the basic wlan0 was up, although I think command line and hand configuring are required to get the Windows driver into ndiswrapper (which I must use) and to make sure the aliases and entries are made where they're needed and to modprobe ndiswrapper. These might be showstoppers for newbies, but I guess we still have a ways to go before setting up a wireless connection is a point-and-click deal. However, following that part of the Wireless HowTo is easy compared to getting encryption working. This new VLwifi makes it very easy

As you know, I've had a very difficult time with my wireless, but since RC1 I've been able to get a solid connection. Now with VLwifi it's even easy! I hope other users have success with it, too.

One suggestion, if it can be done. When you have to choose DHCP or Fixed IP, it would be good for the other option to get unchecked automatically. In other words, make it impossible for both to be checked. It does say to make sure you have one or the other, not both, but it would be better if you *couldn't* have both of them checked.

Come on, folks. Test this out. If VLwifi works with a broad range of wireless cards and connections, this will be a wonderful feather in the cap of VL because wireless, especially with WPA, is definitely a work in progress with many distros.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #64 on: November 21, 2007, 01:16:10 pm »

I still have odd behavior on my Turion laptop when I shut down the computer through XFce's Quit menu, Shut down. When it completes all the steps, it doesn't actually turn off. Instead, I get letters and phrases flashing on the screen and I have to press the Power button to shut the computer off. It's not actually hanging--it completes all the steps except for actually shutting down. But it's odd. The computer is pretty new and has no issues with ACPI. I consider this a very minor issue, but if there's a fix, it would be good to have the computer shutdown properly.

I think I've had this issue on the Turion with all the RCs. It doesn't occur with the Celeron desktop and I don't recall seeing it with the Celeron laptop.
--GrannyGeek

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
Lyn
Vectorian

« Reply #65 on: November 21, 2007, 01:44:51 pm »

Lyn,
we need as much info from your system as we can get in order to try and solve this.
the intel website says you need to have the agpgart, intel-agp, drm and i915 modules loaded before starting xorg.

Thanks,
Uelsk8s

Would be delighted to, can you give me a step by step guide how I can do this?  I think I need to learn to direct the output from these operations to a file that I can later copy and paste the content to you....
likewise with loading the individual modules.  Still very much a novice with the command line.
nubcnubdo
Vectorian

« Reply #66 on: November 21, 2007, 02:12:37 pm »

When I install an OS I usually try out the audio at Radio Canada:
http://www.cbc.ca/listen/
The Montreal low bandwidth audio stream didnt work this time around, for VL 5.9 RC-1.7, which was called "RC 2" at some point during the installation. I'm guessing that some codecs are missing.

After working with System Profiler and Benchmark, getting a few values, it would not readily close from its Quit command. I was obliged to use Ctrl+Alt+Esc.

K3b came up fine, but reported "No CD/DVD writer found."

Still getting an error when launching Mozilla Firefox from single-click panel icon:
"Failed to execute default Web Browser. Input/output error."
(For some reason, placing a cursor with mouse click is very sensitive, prone to highlight rather than place cursor; maybe two clicks being registered)
------------------------
Blade Runner flyover theme
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vopc1GdAcwk
« Last Edit: November 21, 2007, 05:54:51 pm by nubcnubdo » Logged
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #67 on: November 21, 2007, 02:27:45 pm »

When I install an OS I usually try out the audio at Radio Canada:
http://www.cbc.ca/listen/
The Montreal low bandwidth audio stream didnt work this time around, for VL 5.9 RC-1.7, which was called "RC 2" at some point during the installation. I'm guessing that some codecs are missing.

It didn't work for me, either--neither low nor high bandwidth. I was using Firefox.
--GrannyGeek

Dweeberkitty
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #68 on: November 21, 2007, 02:35:20 pm »

I finally got a chance to try RC1.7. The  video on the laptop is fixed. But still no sound. When I run alsaconf, it says it can't find a pci card and do I want to search the ISA? Afterward, it says it's going to add snd-opl3sa2 to modprobe.conf. I get no sound. Alsamixer won't run and gives this:
alsamixer: function snd_ctl_open failed for default: No such device

Here's my lsmod:
apm                    19160  2
freq_table              4768  0
snd_seq_dummy           3716  0
snd_seq_oss            32128  0
snd_seq_midi_event      7168  1 snd_seq_oss
snd_seq                48720  5 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi_event
snd_seq_device          7692  3 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq
snd_pcm_oss            38048  0
snd_pcm                69764  1 snd_pcm_oss
snd_timer              19972  2 snd_seq,snd_pcm
snd_page_alloc          8712  1 snd_pcm
snd_mixer_oss          15232  1 snd_pcm_oss
snd                    45796  8 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq,snd_seq_device,snd_pcm_oss,snd_pcm,snd_timer,snd_mixer_oss
soundcore               7008  1 snd
i2c_piix4               8332  0
i2c_core               20992  1 i2c_piix4
evdev                   8704  1

and here's my lspci:
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 440BX/ZX/DX - 82443BX/ZX/DX Host bridge (AGP disabled) (rev 02)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Trident Microsystems Cyber 9397 (rev f3)
00:03.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 ISA (rev 02)
00:03.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 IDE (rev 01)
00:03.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 USB (rev 01)
00:03.3 Bridge: Intel Corporation 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 ACPI (rev 02)
00:0a.0 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments PCI1131 (rev 01)
00:0a.1 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments PCI1131 (rev 01)

I hope we can get this sound thing figured out as it would be a show stopper for me.

Network: The laptop has no network card and I still get this error every time I login to XFCE:
Could not look up internet address for vector.linux.net. This will prevent Xfce from operating correctly. It may be possible to correct the problem by adding vector.linux.net to the file /etc/hosts on your system.

Spelling:
You are working as dweeberkitty
Frequently used programs:
Configuration  : vasm
File manager   : mc (press F2 for usefull menu)
Editor         : mcedit, vi
Multimedia     : alsamixer, play
localuser:root being added to access control list
vector:/~
dweeberkitty:$

Watch your spelling! "usefull" should be spelled like this: "useful"

Icons: One thing that just really bugs me is the power icon on the system tray (you know, the one that lets you log off etc..) It looks fuzzy and blurry. The power icon in the Rodent theme is nice and sharp. It really makes a big difference. Please fix the blurry icon in Vista-Inspirate, possibly by copying the Rodent one to the Vista theme. One of the Vista-Inspirate_1.0 icon themes doesn't work and gives just blank icons for most files. (I don't know why there's two of them in the first place) The same goes for Crystal SVG, ROX-Noia, and ROX-Nuvola.

Looking good so far.

Registered Linux User #443399
Desktop: Intel Pentium D 3.33Ghz, 320GB hard drive, 2 gigs DDR2 533mhz RAM, NVIDIA Geforce 7800 GS, X2GEN 22" widescreen monitor;
Laptop: Dell Mini 9, Intel Atom 1.6Ghz, 1GB ram
Multimedia Bonus Disc website: http://www.vectorlinuxsolutions.com/
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #69 on: November 21, 2007, 02:36:13 pm »

I guess I spoke too soon about the VLwifi function. It did connect easily and at every boot, but the wireless connection dropped after a few hours and I couldn't get it back up except by rebooting. This is what I experienced with the "easy WPA" setups on PCLinuxOS and Mandriva One. The connection would get established and work fine for a while, but would then disappear and usually required a reboot to get it back. This time the wireless with VL 5.9 dropped at a particularly inopportune time, as I had just composed a lengthy reply to a software question from someone on one of the mailing lists I belong to and when I attempted to send it, the whole message was lost before it went out. I'll have to write it all over again.

I'm using the VLwifi connection right now, but I think I'll go back to the old "by hand" method. That connection seemed very secure. I don't think it ever dropped (of course, I had had it working for just a couple of weeks.<g>).

The wireless connection never drops in Vista on this computer. Always five bars, always up. I mention that just because it rules out flaky hardware or an unreliable Internet connection.
--GrannyGeek

lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #70 on: November 21, 2007, 03:25:42 pm »

... When I run alsaconf, it says it can't find a pci card and do I want to search the ISA? Afterward, it says it's going to add snd-opl3sa2 to modprobe.conf. I get no sound. Alsamixer won't run
Oh, oh , the dreaded Yamaha opl3. I have had problems with that ISA sound chip in the past myself. Is this the first time you've used VL on that box? Do you know for certain it has an OPL3 chip on it? Can you peek inside to check? If not, try the command pnpdump as root and see what it finds. Maybe alsaconf detected the wrong chip and you can then just rerun alsaconf, choose ISA and uncheck those chips that don't apply.

If it is the opl3 you might want to read this: http://www.topology.org/linux/sound.html . Otherwise I have no other suggestions....

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
Mihail121-tera

« Reply #71 on: November 21, 2007, 03:42:08 pm »

First impressions:

0. THANK YOU FOR FLUXBOX!!!!!
1. XPDF bug is gone for good both with XFCE and Fluxbox.
2. Printer support is finally on a decent level (great work, works out of the box!)
3. ATI's stupid drivers won't work. Open source works very nice though.
4. ALSA is better than ever.
5. The wallpapers are HORRIBLE, please do something about it quickly, they just suck...
6. Installation is smooth and boot-screens are beautiful.
7. It's one idea faster and smoother than VL 5.8 - greak work.

I really like the new version. Keep it going!

« Last Edit: November 22, 2007, 02:24:10 am by Mihail121 » Logged
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #72 on: November 21, 2007, 03:53:29 pm »

lagagnon said it first--the dreaded OPL3 chip. I once had a computer with an OPL3SAx sound card and getting it to work in Linux was such torture that it probably made up for all the sins of my lifetime.<g>

It was years ago and I think I was using Lindows (now known as Linspire) at the time because I couldn't deal with a "real" Linux. I later came to my senses and went back to VectorLinux. Anyway, Lindows was helpless before the OPL3SAx chip. I somehow managed to get it going thanks to Web searches, but don't ask me how I did it. Mine was not to reason why, don't rock the boat, if it ain't broke don't fix it, and all that. The memory of the ordeal still gives me shudders.
--GrannyGeek

Mihail121-tera

« Reply #73 on: November 21, 2007, 04:17:54 pm »

I've just put K3B on extreme torture (CD-Writer, DVD-Writer, external DVD-Writer). It works perfectly! Thank you VL!
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #74 on: November 21, 2007, 04:29:04 pm »

Lyn,

Thanks,
Uelsk8s
To manually load a module "modprobe ModuleName" where ModuleName is the name of the module to load ie "modprobe drm" to load the drm kernel module.
To send the output of lspci just type "lspci >lspci.out" doesnt matter the name of the output file (a single > will overwrite an existing file, and double >> will append to an existing file, either will write a new file.)

Let me know if I explained it all well enough.
Thanks,
Uelsk8s

Would be delighted to, can you give me a step by step guide how I can do this?  I think I need to learn to direct the output from these operations to a file that I can later copy and paste the content to you....
likewise with loading the individual modules.  Still very much a novice with the command line.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8
  Print  

Jump to: